Reflection in exhaust heatshield is swapped side to side

Robinicus

Reflection in exhaust heatshield is swapped side to side

#1 Post by Robinicus » 30 Jun 2020 18:43

Latest beta build

100% repeatable

Unsure if this is specific to 1.38 or has always been there on Lonestar - never really drove it much until 1.38

Problem: the forward part of the exhaust heatshield reflection is swapped side to side; the forward facing portion of driver's heatshield shows the reflection from the passenger side of the truck and vice verse. The side reflection when looking directly at the truck from the side is correct, it is only the forward facing portion of the heatshield that is inverted.

Image 1 - overall scene

Image 2 - passenger forward facing heatshield showing reflection of red pick-up on driver's side of truck

Image 3 - driver forward facing heatshield showing reflection of sidewalk and beige car on passenger side of truck

Image 4 - interior view looking at driver side mirror and showing reflection of sidewalk and beige car on passenger side of truck

MS Flight Sim 2020 - Alpha test team

Don't PM me for FMOD help, ask on the forum so others can learn from it as well

My sound work is only for friends from now on

TruckerKid

Re: Reflection in exhaust heatshield is swapped side to side

#2 Post by TruckerKid » 30 Jun 2020 19:48

Since we don't have proper screen-space reflections in game yet, this would currently be a game limitation. Plus the geometry of the heat shields puts the surface inward toward the cab, thus making the reflection angle a bit more prominent.

Here's an older model but with the same factory heatshields:
(You'll notice the major difference in reflection angle if you look at the door handle)

Robinicus

#3 Post by Robinicus » 30 Jun 2020 20:10

Not sure why you responded with those pics; it has nothing to do with distortion of the reflection, it is reflecting from the opposite side of the truck which is the positioning set in the coding
MS Flight Sim 2020 - Alpha test team

Don't PM me for FMOD help, ask on the forum so others can learn from it as well

My sound work is only for friends from now on

TruckerKid

#4 Post by TruckerKid » 30 Jun 2020 20:24

I didn't say anything about the distortion of the images, I told you why you see the opposite side in the reflections (because the game doesn't have proper screen-space reflections thus it reflects the opposite side of the truck due to the angle of the heat shields). If we had proper screen-space reflections, you would see the reflection of the cab in the heat-shields. Therefore, since we don't, you see "through" the cab.

Return to “Bugs 1.38 (Open Beta)”