location fifth wheel Freightliner Cascadia [NOT A BUG]

HagenXXV

location fifth wheel Freightliner Cascadia [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by HagenXXV » 09 Feb 2021 18:00

The model of the truck has a small error in the location of the fifth wheel, all this I could deduce based on the model that circulates in the traffic, additionally I could notice that the location of the cables in both models is also different, the correct model is the one that circulates in the traffic, thank you for reading this message.

Game version 1.39.3.3 64bit

Date of Bug Report: 09 Feb 2021
Game Version: 1.39.3.3
Operating System: Windows 10 - 64-bit
Always Reproducible

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: location fifth wheel Freightliner Cascadia

#3 Post by supersobes » 09 Feb 2021 22:56

The actual cause of this gap is the lack of a sliding fifth wheel in ATS. In real-life, drivers would have their fifth wheel adjusted to that the trailer is as close to the cab as possible without hitting anything for better fuel economy. This is why you won't see this gap on real trucks. But if a driver doesn't have their fifth wheel slid forward to tuck the trailer behind the cab, then this gap would exist.

There are no aero fenders, so that is not a solution to this. Freightliner only offers one type of fenders, so SCS also only offered one type of fenders. That black plastic quarter fender is the only option. The AeroX kit does not modify the fenders, and it also does nothing about this gap because again this would easily be solved in real-life by sliding the fifth wheel forward.

HagenXXV

Re: location fifth wheel Freightliner Cascadia [NOT A BUG]

#4 Post by HagenXXV » 11 Feb 2021 17:14

thanks for replying, the detail persists despite using the aerodynamic fender kit, as @supersobes says, the detail could be solved with a sliding fifth wheel, or MEANWHILE relocate the fifth wheel a little closer to the cab. ;)

SiSL
SCS Software

#5 Post by SiSL » 11 Feb 2021 17:45

No, with Aero fenders and 5th wheel at position you wanted, you can not turn the truck because it would collide with trailer legs.

HagenXXV

#6 Post by HagenXXV » 12 Feb 2021 06:07

you are absolutely right, I did not want to stay with the doubt and I tried each trailer of the game to make an ephemeral calculation of the conflict that would have the relocation of the fifth wheel and the legs of the trailer (without aerodynamic fender kit) in conclusion, only the container trailer and the low bed would have a considerable conflict when the truck is crossing, I will attach the pictures of each trailer.

Trailers with "conflict"

I also have a question, couldn't you relocate the fifth wheel forward and when someone buys the aerodynamic fender kit, reset the fifth wheel to the old location? like when you want to put an accessory but you can't because it creates a conflict with another accessory, but if you decide to buy it,this replaces the ones you had installed and and resets the locations, for example:

I hope not to bother you with my suggestion, it's just that many of us would like the option of new fixed fifth wheel locations (no sliding fifth wheel) on the Cascadia, WS 49X and maybe the Lonestar as well. thanks for read this post

Pirate Timelord

#7 Post by Pirate Timelord » 12 Feb 2021 08:55

I'm not an expert by any means, and relatively new to the ATS/ ETS2 scene, but whilst it would be nice for immersion/ realism, it seems like it would be an awful lot of work/coding/etc for what in essence is a relatively minor visual thing at the moment.

Whilst the visual graphics for truck(s) affected would (presumably) be relatively straightforward, every trailer connection setup would have to be reworked to have the kingpin lock into the new fifth wheel position, and have the physics work correctly based on that. So every trailer /truck involved would need to be worked to be able to identify/handle where the fifth wheel is and adapt the game visuals/physics to work around the correct point based on that. Additionally a lot of extra coding would be needed for the game to identify the fifth wheel setup, and then would have to prevent use/ visibility of jobs using the trailers that can't work with the moved fifth wheel position. Or else have the game register the trailer can't work in the current position, and force/pop-up the option to continue by forcing a move of the fifth wheel.

Seems like a large amount of work, with lots of code that could break/ have bugs, for a small visual thing. Which, whilst it would be nice down the line, I wouldn't think it would be a priority with everything else people are regularly asking for (more trucks/more maps/ more this/more that/ fix the older map visuals/etc).

Note I'm not meaning to insult the suggestion/etc, just giving my thoughts on it, as across the forums it looks like a lot of players don't realise how much work behind the scenes is actually needed for what looks like a 'simple' fix/adjustment. (Also sorry this is taking up bug reporting space, but that's where this post is, rather than general discussion spaces).

Return to “Bugs 1.39”