Game does not pause on alt-tab [NOT A BUG]

BloatedHook302

Re: Game does not pause on alt-tab

#11 Post by BloatedHook302 » 16 Oct 2020 18:28

I think you need to own as lease 3 truck to use the "online shop." Also, the visit option does take the current time in-game.
RaduH

#12 Post by RaduH » 17 Oct 2020 22:20

Andre_AW wrote: 16 Oct 2020 02:10 this is caused by dx11, since the launch of the new api that works like this

rocket league and microsoft flight simulator also have this situation

not a bug
Rocket league and MS flight simulator are both multi-player games. A MP game cannot be paused, for obvious reasons.

Re: "I use the bug to alt-tab while waiting for the store to open" argument.

Just because you have found a use for this bug, does not make it "not a bug". It's not reasonable that 50k players' video cards consume all power available to them while alt-tabbed for your convenience. Learn some time management skills and either plan your routes so you show up at the dealership during opening hours, or "sleep" in the dealer's parking lot to quickly advance the game clock.

The reasonable implementation for ALT-TAB would be:

If ALT-TAB while driving, PAUSE
If ALT-TAB while stopped, ????
If ALT-TAB while in the menu, do nothing

Under all circumstances, GPU utilization and CPU utilization should drop to minimal while ALT-TAB, not shoot to the MAX. Some people have 350W graphics cards. It's BS for their power-usage to go to 350W while alt-tabbed, while in-game barely 80W or so is required to run the game normally.

The fact that the game does not notice being put in the background, is a clear indication of a bug. At the very least, it should do something (notice, and take SOME action) when being backgrounded. Clearly the "lost focus" handler is either not present, or not activated correctly.
RaduH

#13 Post by RaduH » 17 Oct 2020 22:27

N95JPL wrote: 16 Oct 2020 17:54 I also agree this isn't a bug - Nothing annoys me more than games that pause (by default) when you move your focus to something else.... Yes Flight Simulators I am looking at you!
Part of flying is long stretches of time of nothing happening. The experience of "nothing happening" should be part of your game play. If you're too impatient for the boring bits, maybe flight simulators are not for you. Do you think pilots take a nap, or check on their discord, or read a book while nothing is happening? No, the active pilot/copilot are expected to be alert and watching the "nothing happening".

LOL at being annoyed by a realistic simulation.

Also, the GPU utilization shooting to 100% while tabbed out is the equivalent of the simulation having gone haywire because of being tabbed out, hence, totally a BUG.
N95JPL

#14 Post by N95JPL » 17 Oct 2020 22:41

Just an FYI - I am an avid Flight Simmer with 1200 hours in total on Vatsim.
I am also building my own cockpit & doing my real-world PPL... so Yes LOL, I alt tabbed to, for example, start a flight tracker, check VATSPY and so on...
I also fly GA Aircraft primarily, so Alt-Tabbing to check a VFR map, whilst I’m sat on the deck waiting for my VFR Departure Clearance, I think is reasonable?
Touché.
N95JPL
GitHub
bobgrey1997

#15 Post by bobgrey1997 » 17 Oct 2020 23:06

RaduH wrote: 17 Oct 2020 22:20 Re: "I use the bug to alt-tab while waiting for the store to open" argument.

Just because you have found a use for this bug, does not make it "not a bug". It's not reasonable that 50k players' video cards consume all power available to them while alt-tabbed for your convenience. Learn some time management skills and either plan your routes so you show up at the dealership during opening hours, or "sleep" in the dealer's parking lot to quickly advance the game clock.
You say to learn time management? Using the waiting time efficiently by multi-tasking is perfect time management.
If you have a crappy graphics card that can't handle rendering the game plus whatever other window you tab to, perhaps you should learn to use the esc button to pause the game before tabbing out. Why force the rest of us to have the game paused because you are too lazy to press esc?

Return to “Bugs 1.39”