Some 1.40 lighting feedback

wolfbeast

Some 1.40 lighting feedback

#1 Post by wolfbeast » 04 Feb 2021 13:29

First off, fantastic job on the lighting overhaul -- finally we have a more realistic influence of environmental lights!
But with it, unfortunately also a number of issues which I'd like to highlight here.

Testing setups:
I've taken 2 jobs, one far north in Sweden and one far south on the Mediterranean islands (corsica etc.) to have an impression of lighting at different latitudes.
My hardware is an RX 590 on the graphics side with pretty much everything except SSAO to max (AO is set to medium because high would cause weird artefacts when close to other 3D objects in the foreground losing the shadow)

My general observations are that driving at day time and late dawn/early dusk is fantastic but driving at night and early dawn/late dusk most definitely needs some tweaking.
  • The most jarring issue at night is that pretty much all (directional) roadsigns are much too bright and become unreadable due to HDR bloom (at any decent distance) as a result. While traffic signs seem to be very much underlit making it difficult to see any traffic rules in effect (speed, give way, no stopping, etc.) until you are pretty much completely on top of it.
    The directional roadsigns are also lit very inconsistently, occasionally having just a background be brightly lit but not the part you need to read, or more regularly just having text brightly lit (actually much too bright as if you have your highbeams on) but you can't see the surrounding arrow or distance indicator (see screenshots)
  • Lighting of the cabin interior is strange. With more clear lighting from environmental lights, it's more obvious that interior cabin lighting acts as if the truck "doesn't exist", and e.g. having a beacon light on the very rear of the trailer bathes the cabin in flashes of orange light as if the haul and the back of the cabin don't exist. The same goes for other environmental lights like traffic lights and street lights: it is as if the cabin's exterior doesn't exist for those. The sun however is properly masked by it, which gives a really strange dichotomy.
  • The overall resulting lighting during the daytime is rather bright in general which makes vegetation look flat and actually takes away from the realism. Perhaps the overall HDR range is narrowed too much causing some of these issues and needs to be broadened to provide a slightly more contrast-rich image (and reducing overillumination at night as well)?
Anyway just my $0.02 -- I hope the devs will take it into account for future improvements to the lighting system!
Attachments
20210204135839_1.jpg
20210204135807_1.jpg
msdesignfoto

Re: Some 1.40 lighting feedback

#2 Post by msdesignfoto » 04 Feb 2021 14:04

Agree on that. Yesterday I posted a sum-up of those lightning faults. Overal seems nice and solid, but when we look at the details, the interior lights, the navigation screen in-cabin, the headlights, they are weak and dull.

I hope they fix it.
TWITCHTVFALCONS

#3 Post by TWITCHTVFALCONS » 04 Feb 2021 14:35

System light is a bit better , bur not suround the map. only behind truck| The Thunder is to low or i am be deaf. | Raine sound is okè
AlexxxF1

#4 Post by AlexxxF1 » 04 Feb 2021 18:54

for me, road sign lighting has become like in real life. it's amazing how the SCS achieved and convey this.
reflective paint works like in real life
the lights are turned off
[ external image ]
headlight dimensions included
[ external image ]
headlights included
[ external image ]
AlexxxF1

#5 Post by AlexxxF1 » 04 Feb 2021 18:58

it's a pity so far not all signs are as reflected as in real life. e.g. speed limits or warning signs does not shine bright red, the main road sign does not shine bright yellow
headlights off
[ external image ]
headlights dimensions on
[ external image ]
headlights on
[ external image ]
cristianrpbeijo

#6 Post by cristianrpbeijo » 01 Dec 2021 06:17

wolfbeast wrote: 04 Feb 2021 13:29
[*]Lighting of the cabin interior is strange. With more clear lighting from environmental lights, it's more obvious that interior cabin lighting acts as if the truck "doesn't exist", and e.g. having a beacon light on the very rear of the trailer bathes the cabin in flashes of orange light as if the haul and the back of the cabin don't exist. The same goes for other environmental lights like traffic lights and street lights: it is as if the cabin's exterior doesn't exist for those. The sun however is properly masked by it, which gives a really strange dichotomy
I made a bug report in 1.43 open beta saying exatcly this
... is like the cabin truck, the trailers and cargos, don't exists to the other lights(beacob lights, brake lights, turn signals, street lights, etc; only the sunlight works properly in those objects

Edit: a beta tester say that this issue is know. And is hard to fix it because of the engine limitations

Return to “Bugs 1.40”