Grammar mistake in a spanish advert sign. [NOT A BUG]

ItzDannio25

Grammar mistake in a spanish advert sign. [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by ItzDannio25 » 12 Mar 2021 17:44

Found a grammar mistake in the latest SCS Stream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHtwZMYng2s&t=1165s at 19:23)

[ external image ]

This ad translates to ''Explore the world!'' and the verb ''Explore'' is in infinitive and it's not right to say it that way in that context.

The correct way would be ''¡Explore el mundo!'' or ''¡Explora el mundo!''
gaillard

Re: Grammar mistake in a spanish advert sign.

#2 Post by gaillard » 13 Mar 2021 09:39

I'm not sure a bug report about 1.40 is OK for a Work-in-progress presentation of an unreleased DLC.

More to the point, I don't really grasp why "To explore the world" is a grammatical error.. Looks perfectly valid to me.
It's a roadside advertisement, and often that leads to incomplete sentences, short and quick to read.
It's not an imperative but a suggestion: imagine what fun it would be to explore the world..

For all we know, it could even be a mockup of a real thing they saw in Spain.

This is just a personal comment from me and has no other value. ;)
plykkegaard

#3 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Mar 2021 10:57

Searching the net you can find both pronounciations on advertisements

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
ItzDannio25

#4 Post by ItzDannio25 » 14 Mar 2021 13:55

Of course both pronunciations are correct, but in that advert it's not, let me explain:

¡Explorar el mundo! is refering to everybody in general, it's not aiming to anyone. But in the correct form ¡Explore el mundo! is refering to a certain person, in this case you (that ad is refering to you)

¡Explorar el mundo! fits more in a sentence, for example ''También podrías explorar el mundo'' which translates to ''You could also explore the world''

¡Explore el mundo! or ¡Explora el mundo! fits more when it's refering to you (which is the purpose of the ad). For example ''Explore el mundo con John'' translates to ''Explore the world with John''

In spanish, explore, explora and explorar translates in english to ''explore'', they are the same word. That's why when you translate it in a translator such as Google Translate or DeepL, ''Explore the world!'' will translate to ¡Explorar el mundo!'' because there's no context that it's refering to you

In conclusion, explore and explorar are the correct ways of saying it
plykkegaard

#5 Post by plykkegaard » 14 Mar 2021 14:06

Yes I know, but marketing people tend to do things differently at times :)
I was thinking an "Imperativ" form or something similar?
Image found by searching through google.com

[ external image ]

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
iOsete

Re: Grammar mistake in a spanish advert sign. [NOT A BUG]

#6 Post by iOsete » 15 Apr 2021 10:01

It should be "explore el mundo", "explora el mundo" or "explorad el mundo", using imperative verbal mode of "explorar"
salu3

Return to “Bugs 1.40”