Right of way error at roundabout on outskirts of Lacq

Steve Pitts

Right of way error at roundabout on outskirts of Lacq

#1 Post by Steve Pitts » 15 Apr 2021 21:42

ETS2 64-bit v1.40.3.3s on 64-bit Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19042.928]

Traffic truck joining roundabout did not give way to truck already on roundabout.
Reproducibility unknown as I've not been back there to try getting clattered again.

Game log from the session:
game.log_20210415_2200.txt
(63.56 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Screenshot of location on map (taken immediately after game paused at end of video segment):
ets2_20210415_202527_00_lacq_roundabout_bug.jpg
(Cut down scale wise to get it to upload here. Full version visible on Steam at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2458211426)

No coordinates as I don't play with the console enabled.

Link to video: http://pitts-is.me.uk/images/ETS2_bug_Lacq_roundabout.mp4
Cheers, Steve
Kai_Thanner

Re: Right of way error at roundabout on outskirts of Lacq

#2 Post by Kai_Thanner » 18 Apr 2021 15:54

That isn't a bug. It is a feature :)
In france you will have to blink left in the roundabout to become a right of way.
Steve Pitts

#3 Post by Steve Pitts » 19 Apr 2021 11:29

Seriously? It is not like the oncoming truck can decide that I'm going to turn off before I reach the point of collision because I'm well past the previous exit point. Either I have right of way or I don't, surely what I do with my indicators makes no difference here? I don't see any signs or markings on the ground that would suggest anything other than that joining traffic needs to give way.

Amusingly, I found the following helpful site when researching this further: https://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/201 ... in-france/ (NOTE to be taken with a large pinch of salt - none of the more serious sites even mention signalling and roundabouts)
Cheers, Steve
Bobble2020

#4 Post by Bobble2020 » 19 Apr 2021 19:40

Well if it is a feature then whoever put it in got it wrong

Simple rules of the road , vehicles entering roundabouts give way to traffic already on the roundabout no matter whether they have their indicators on or not

Just another case of whoever coded this doesn't understand the rules of the road or coded it incorrectly

The same as the traffic at tolls cutting across into your lane and hitting you instead of giving way to traffic already in that lane

one of the myriad of reasons why i have turned off fines in game as no matter whether i got it right or wrong if i got hit i got a fine
mel85
Beta tester

#5 Post by mel85 » 20 Apr 2021 08:12

Kai_Thanner wrote: 18 Apr 2021 15:54 That isn't a bug. It is a feature :)
In france you will have to blink left in the roundabout to become a right of way.
This isn't the rule.
As there is a giveaway sign on the entry road, the vehicle in the roundabout has the priority, if there is no giveaway sign (very rare), the priority is for the vehicle which enter.

Turn signal are used to indicate to other users where you go (but IRL a lot a drivers don't know how to use them correctly... and do whatever they want :? )

BTW, after some testing, there is something wrong here.
Thank you for your report : QA 156516
Rhythmosaur

#6 Post by Rhythmosaur » 21 Apr 2021 14:57

For me, it seems the problem is not limited to roundabouts, it is unpredictable and so I don't know how to reproduce it:

What happens is that vehicles ignore your right of way before and WHILE you are passing by. The offenders end up in your side or in your trailer. Also, people approaching from behind or beside you sometimes switch lanes out of the blue, pulling into your lane, slamming into your vehicle from the side as if they hadn't been able to detect that the lane is already occupied. This used to happen behind french toll booths until it was fixed, now it happens anywhere. If you are on the middle lane, they can come from either side, so if they come from the right, you litteraly have no idea what just hit you. Trucks and cars both did it, so far it doen't seem to be limited to a specific vehicle or vehicle type.

First I dismissed it as me having been unfocused, but since it has happened far too often.

I have observed this in ALL parts of the map I've been during the event (trips between Spain and Estonia and Spain and Romania, not been to UK, Scandinavia or Southern Italy) pointing to a global traffic setting that changed, but the problem arrived with Iberia, not (unless I failed to spot it ) with the update.

I drove ATS (1.40) until before the event; none of this happened there.

The funny thing is, I did have that sort of collision at that very spot in Lacq as well when doing a detour, hunting for the 100%...
Hire Kriechbaum!, please!
Steve Pitts

#7 Post by Steve Pitts » 21 Apr 2021 17:23

I don't think that there is (necessarily) a 'global traffic setting' at play here. Some of the information that the 'AI' uses to decide on things like right of way are encoded in the map so the only way to get these things fixed is to report each specific instance for someone at SCS to investigate. I shied away from this until recently but having treated myself to a new PC (replacing a ten year old rig) I have enough spare cycles to let the video card drivers capture video permanently, which makes it much easier to make such reports (helped by the fact that I run totally vanilla)
Cheers, Steve
Rhythmosaur

#8 Post by Rhythmosaur » 24 Apr 2021 11:39

It's a good thing the guys at SCS know exactly which one of us is right, I don't, it could be you. I only drew conclusions on my observations, but I'm lacking sufficient expertise.

Meanwhile, this information might be of some help, at least I hope so:

While according to my observations the problem is not limited to roundabouts, roundabouts are the most likely spot to encounter the problem.

What I did this morning and yesterday is learning my way around in A Corunha, Spain, doing city close traffic to learn what is where and how to get there, aiming at not using the GPS. Sounds easy, it would be in, say, Liège, Belgium, but in Spain it is a very different bowl of Paella. Just try it.

My only deviation from standard was a Scania DC13 sound (replacer, not adder. @kriechbaum , what else ), small fake mirrors, and Warp 0.7 (for those unfamiliar, it's not a mod, but a console command slowing the sim speed to what I feel is a realistic 70% of standard speed. I ALSO use a FOV in the 50's). I have the problem on any of my ETS profiles, INCLUDING Vanilla.

In this city, you go over a lot of roundabouts in different variants, and in one case, you also have a choice to use a roundabout when you don't need to.

What you are looking for, while carefully and clearly staying in the outer lane of the roundabout, is people entering the roundabout at speed, not even pretending to stop. It does happen before you, then you're lucky and just yield. It also happens behind you from an access road you are passing or just passed, then you might be outta luck and have him or her smash into your trailer. Hence the fake right mirror, so I can keep an eye on both and be absolutely sure my trailer is in its rightful lane, to eliminate that as a source of the problem. I also made sure not to indicate too early and cause any misunderstandings.

In about four real time hours of driving with no distraction by real life or internet friends, I spotted these jerks 5 times; two set me back 200 something Euros plus the damage on my trailer, all others happened before me.

The day before I also saw such an incident where an AI car did this to a fellow AI car, bringing traffic to a standstill for a moment. To SCS's credit, they resolved their differences after a moment and life went, I mean, drove on, so the conflict resolving algorithm worked.
Hire Kriechbaum!, please!

Return to “Bugs 1.40”