SCS General Discussion Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
pigbrother

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#8121 Post by pigbrother » 21 Jul 2021 19:55

Oh, my sweet summer child… :))

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=282079
I have approximate knowledge of many things

Tandef

#8122 Post by Tandef » 21 Jul 2021 20:14

I've just seen the Iberia DLC has received only 63% positive ratings in the last 30 days (and 78% positive overall), by far the lowest rated map DLC yet. I hope the map devs don't get devastated by it and draw the right conclusions from it for the next expansions.

oldmanclippy

#8123 Post by oldmanclippy » 21 Jul 2021 22:12

Iberia is probably the closest ETS2 has gotten to ATS quality, so the relatively negative reviews surprise me. The main complaints seem to be the lack of secondary roads and the particularly poor AI traffic. I don't disagree with that, but I wouldn't give the DLC a thumbs down because of it. The geography is a much needed break from the rest of Europe, it's absolutely content-packed between the km of roads (presumably) and the number of cities, and the mapping quality is a big step up even from Road to the Black Sea, which along with Corsica are the only other parts of ETS2 that can compete with post-New Mexico ATS, in my opinion.

The lessons that SCS should learn from Iberia are a) even if Iberia has a very extensive freeway network IRL, some more balance is needed with secondary roads for gameplay value even if the realism value has been addressed, and b) the AI is well overdue for a massive overhaul. Mapping quality is superb and starting to catch up to recent ATS states, the cities were very well done, and the unique assets made for this DLC are the best in ETS2. RttBS was destined to have poor road type balance due to its status IRL, but they had an opportunity with Iberia to have better balance but erred on the side of too many freeways. But it's not a deal breaker for me, Iberia is one of the best overall parts of ETS2 so it doesn't deserve a thumbs down for me.

With regards to Renault's surprise this fall, I'm hoping for a tuning pack (since the only truck I use in ETS2 is the Renault T) or the long awaited Lyon rebuild with the Renault plant so that the France rebuild can finally be complete.
Trucks CAN service Yellowstone!
Western Star 49X | Denver, CO | ATS release order concepts: with 2 map teams or with 3 map teams
Renault Range T | Санкт-Петербург, RU | Heart of Russia boundaries prediction

Some newbie driver

#8124 Post by Some newbie driver » 21 Jul 2021 22:18

They can still do nothing with IA, not before they made HUGE changes to the game that for sure are in the workings (the kind of project that takes several years and several previous steps). So, not for more complain is going to arrive faster neither the devs are going to remember all of a sudden there's a problem with the IA (they are more aware than all of us about what are their problems and how could they solve them).

Besides that, if AI is one of the most criticized thing of Iberia DLC, then that would only demonstrate that most of those critics come from brainless complainers trolls that can't differentiate a base game mechanic (the AI control) from a map expansion.

Regards

oldmanclippy

#8125 Post by oldmanclippy » 21 Jul 2021 22:32

You are right in that it is a massive challenge, but I agree with the common criticism that the AI tends to handle the roads in Iberia more poorly than they do in other parts of the map. Again, not enough for a thumbs down, but still noticeable in my experience. That is something they can control, because there must be ways to create roads that make it easier or harder for the AI to perform properly. So I think it's a legitimate criticism to level at a map expansion when there examples of other SCS maps in both games where the AI is better.
Trucks CAN service Yellowstone!
Western Star 49X | Denver, CO | ATS release order concepts: with 2 map teams or with 3 map teams
Renault Range T | Санкт-Петербург, RU | Heart of Russia boundaries prediction

angrybirdseller

#8126 Post by angrybirdseller » 21 Jul 2021 22:57

Iberian DLC better than Baltic and Black Sea for the reason the cities are better laid out and highway driving feels more realistic. Just taking backroads is not most efficient or safe way ro deliver goods. The low rating is some too used driving on backroads too much. The next DLC in Russia will be similar to Baltics or Black Sea which is fine, but prefer more highway driving in ETS2 stop and go not the best way to drive around.

supersobes
Global moderator

#8127 Post by supersobes » 22 Jul 2021 00:01

I think the road balance with Iberia was good when you consider that it came right after Road to the Black Sea. I was not a fan of Road to the Black Sea because I prefer highway driving, so the amount of back road driving in that part of the map was very off-putting for me. Then Iberia came with it's road network of mostly highways and toll roads, which I loved. I think that a DLC filled with lots of secondary roads followed by a DLC filled with lots of highways sort of evens itself out. Depending on which type of road you prefer more would dictate which part of the map you drive in more, and I think that's both fair and realistic.

Marcello Julio

#8128 Post by Marcello Julio » 22 Jul 2021 03:07

For me, Iberia DLC is amazing. Best ETS2 map expansion so far. But yes, unfortunately it has a little problems which is due to the issue of some roads missing (mainly the Andorra road connection). But as they said in the A-24 blog post, they are looking at community feedback regarding Iberia and thanks to everyone who gave their opinions and feedback and that small additions like A-24 will come in future updates.
About the IA, this is not an IA issue with Iberia, but in the game in general (in both games). The IA is an issue that will have to be resolved, especially now after the addition of Convoy in which the IA has become extremely aggressive or dumb depending of the situation.

pigbrother

#8129 Post by pigbrother » 22 Jul 2021 05:58

Iberia is nice, even sometimes it really feels a little bit boring. However, not understating that the country with the biggest motorway network in Europe will also have... well... a lot of motorways in game is... exactly what I expect from the #bestcommunityever.

Can't wait for the UK rebuild, their motorway network density is even higher, inane whining is music to my ears. 8-)
I have approximate knowledge of many things

plykkegaard

#8130 Post by plykkegaard » 22 Jul 2021 06:56

Iberia is what it is
Does it represent the two countries well?
Do we miss tons of stuff?

How many players have been trucking in the area and how many have be on vacation by car
You can't compare the two an you can't evaluate the DLC based on you experince as a tourist
How to use Pastebin to Share Text
Youtube Video (English)

Return to “SCS Site”