SCS General Discussion Thread

FrancescoMasci

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#9811 Post by FrancescoMasci » 24 Sep 2021 15:48

I feel bad for Romania, the northern part looks really too empty.
I had hoped some new roads would have followed the DLC, I hope before Ukraine.
harishw8r

#9812 Post by harishw8r » 24 Sep 2021 15:49

RttBS needs new roads the most. It's the DLC with the most misses and definitely need to be fixed. Cities like Sibiu, Satu Mare, and Baia Mare can be added.
SenseFM

#9813 Post by SenseFM » 24 Sep 2021 16:30

I agree that Road to the Black Sea's road network is the most unsatisfying so far and needs more love. While both RttBS and Iberia have been criticized for their lack of balance in highways and minor roads, Iberia's problem was to be expected given the high density of highways Spain and Portugal have in real life, and in fact, most of the important roads are included in the DLC.

In contrast, in RttBS, especially in Romania, some minor roads actually seemed to be favored in front of other roads that may be less scenic but more important for trucking IRL - The main example is the lack of E81 between Huneodara and Pitești, given that the Olt Valley is a key mountain pass through the Southern Carpathians. There should also be a connection between Brașov and Galați (E574), since the gap between Iași and Bucharest is the largest in the game after the one in the Pyrenees.

I'd say another problem is that a great deal of RttBS's terrain is mountainous, mountain roads are hard to map and mountain models do take more space in the map than plain forested areas. Iberia's terrain is not as rugged and the large spaces between roads look like they can allow new roads without much problems. I hope that some day RttBS can recieve some updates too without having to wait until the release of the DLCs with Ukraine and the Western Balkans.
plinio.lisboa.br

#9814 Post by plinio.lisboa.br » 24 Sep 2021 16:48

Really the mountain roads in my opinion (personal) is SCS' weak point today. And there are big challenges ahead: rework: Austria (in progress), Switzerland, Northern Italy (alpine region), France (alpine region). Pyrenees (Spain, Andorra, France), Nordic Alps (Norway), Apennines (England) Scottish highlands, Wales highlands (UK), Portuguese mountains (north and center of Portugal. Central route through the middle of the country, maybe part of of N2).

Mountain Carpathians in Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and also the Transylvanian Alps and other mountain systems in Romania and Bulgaria can benefit from this technology. Of course it will take a while, but the ATS mountain tech ARRIVING at ETS2 in Austria will tell us what the future of European mountains is on ETS2. But that's no demerit, it just means it's a "face" to be evolved.

These are new opportunities. And at ATS we looked at how SCS has the technology to make the mountains more realistic. So I'm just excited to see these mountain evolutions like Austrian Tyrol.
Sora

#9815 Post by Sora » 24 Sep 2021 18:53

mackintosh wrote: 24 Sep 2021 15:11 And yet neither of the two roads go through the Pyrenees, nor do they serve any useful purpose. Truly baffling.
They are strictly useful for the new cities that seem to be located on them, at least.

I agree that these wouldn't be my personal choices, but I'm not one of the people complaining about Iberia to begin with. It's probably my favorite ETS2 map since Scandinavia... Which, to that end, means that having more of it is fine by me.
oldmanclippy

#9816 Post by oldmanclippy » 24 Sep 2021 19:39

A road through the Pyrenees is not how you want to start off training a newbie. That will be for more experienced mappers to tackle.

Give me a secondary way in/out of Cluj-Napoca and I'll be a happy man lol. Although we discussed it in the RttBS thread last year and it probably requires a bit of reworking to pull off.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
festmache

#9817 Post by festmache » 24 Sep 2021 20:25

mackintosh wrote: 24 Sep 2021 15:11 And yet neither of the two roads go through the Pyrenees, nor do they serve any useful purpose. Truly baffling.
Maybe the southern road turns out to be a nice alternative when travelling between the south of Spain and central or northern Portugal (e.g. Seville - Lisbon).
vanilla player, loving ETS2, loving ATS even more! | 🇳🇱 🇪🇺
Map with all cities | Personal cabin accessories

[ external image ]
IvanKuz

#9818 Post by IvanKuz » 24 Sep 2021 23:49

mackintosh wrote: 24 Sep 2021 15:11And yet neither of the two roads go through the Pyrenees, nor do they serve any useful purpose. Truly baffling.
Eh, come on now, this is still good news. Bringing two new cities into the game is quite a useful purpose. Soria has been second on my Iberia improvements wishlist after the Pyrenees.
Truckdrivr

#9819 Post by Truckdrivr » 26 Sep 2021 10:09

first of all thanks SCS for the Volvo Construction pack, bought it yesterday, very pleased by this DLC. The news about Lyon and new roads in Iberia is very welcome it will help this DLC so much with more secondary roads, althought had my hopes up for Pyrenees, but oh well someday it will be there i hope :-)
Convoy nametag: Truckdrivr
See you on the road 8-)

My screenshot thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=302557
eonellivlem

#9820 Post by eonellivlem » 26 Sep 2021 12:40

I just glanced at the Iberia map new roads and didn't realise there are 2 new towns. Very welcome addition to an already fantastic DLC. I just hope these trainee map devs are in fact additional employees and not replacements. More mappers is always a good thing, i hope the Austria rebuild is the whole country and not just a section. It's sad to think at the current pace if we get one new country rebuild per update, that's around 2-3 years before we see the UK rebuild and another 2 years for Going East :(

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”