[ARCHIVED] SCS General Discussion Thread

Tirol

Re: SCS Blog discussion

#13271 Post by Tirol » 21 Oct 2017 13:09

SCS has also not the manpower to create a new game from scratch.
Dan

#13272 Post by Dan » 21 Oct 2017 13:10

I always thought SCS would drop Europe and US and move over to Australia as the new project, no ETS3 at all
DerTrucker98

#13273 Post by DerTrucker98 » 21 Oct 2017 13:13

About the Australia theories.

Then I would be more happy to see an Extreme Trucker 3 or s.o., which is supported, uses the new engine and so on.
Because I think is more a game "for everyone".
Tirol

#13274 Post by Tirol » 21 Oct 2017 13:13

Australia is not interesting for the broad mass of customers and because of the small target group it is not economical to get on its feet.
San_Sany4

#13275 Post by San_Sany4 » 21 Oct 2017 13:14

Everything have fun and mundane parts. Successful simulators show more of the fun part, less or even no mundane. Some examples: The Sims: you control your sim to do fun things, while mundane everyday things like job or school is just "there", you don't need to control it and you can fast-forward time. World of Tanks: no training, no actual maintenance of your tank, no long marching to the battle, no angry officers, just you, your team, and the enemy — shoot them. Similar with any other shooter like BF or CoD or even CS:GO. No RPG have 14 or more years to live mundane life before going to adventure.

Now, most people are "casual". They want to have fun and don't want to do mundane things. Yes, some people have fun doing Boeing pre-flight check in flight simulators, but those people are rare. That's why simulators is a niche genre. I believe the reason ETS2 become so popular is perfect balance between simulation and game. It have it's mundane parts like need to sleep or follow traffic rules, but it's still mostly fun. You don't need to do all the inspection, fill the papers, stop to eat or pee. It can be fun, but sooner or later it will become frustrating.

Mostly I play as hardcore as vanilla game can do. I don't even use GPS, I drive by roadsigns. But I don't like tollbooths or to have low air pressure.And sometimes I get tired, then I switch to automatic gearbox, turn on cruise control, and pass by all those annoying weight stations. Now, most people do this all the time.

People don't play games to do mundane, they play to experience something unique. That's why Special Cargo will be more popular decision than "movement inside cabin". "Openable windows!" is not a selling point, you can do that in your own car. Can you move 5-meter-wide pipe with your car? Special Transport DLC will bring devs money, so devs can bring more simulator parts in the future.
Last edited by San_Sany4 on 21 Oct 2017 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
My World of Trucks profile. My Steam profile.
ETS2 since 1.4, ATS since 1.0. Vanilla player.
Dan

#13276 Post by Dan » 21 Oct 2017 13:21

Tirol wrote: 21 Oct 2017 13:13 Australia is not interesting for the broad mass of customers and because of the small target group it is not economical to get on its feet.
What makes you think so? I mean, Extreme Trucker 1/2 had its fair share of popularity, not to mention the Train genre or OMSI, they don`t appeal to everyone, yet the games are still popular
With enough gimmicks and good enough surreal (like kangaroos jumping in your bullbar), AUSTS would be a great successor to ETS2/ATS
I wouldn`t support starting this project yet tho
Tirol

#13277 Post by Tirol » 21 Oct 2017 13:23

Because most customers of SCS are not from Australia.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#13278 Post by Mohegan13 » 21 Oct 2017 13:35

San_Sany4 wrote: 21 Oct 2017 13:14 People don't play games to do mundane,
Actually, that's why I buy games like this. Aside from my interest in HGVs, I buy many games for the mundane because gaming is a form of escapism. Sure new things are fine too, more content never hurts. But taking my mind of my severe anxiety problems is my main reason for playing any game, and in this case skinning/modding.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
nIGhT-SoN

#13279 Post by nIGhT-SoN » 21 Oct 2017 13:44

I never played Extreme Trucker. Heard about it but wasn't appealing to me.

@San_Sany4, I think The Sims is not a good example, you have to take dump, eat, sleep and all mundane things to be able to do the fun things. The rest of the game you mentioned, they don't try to be simulators. I'm not asking ETS 2 to become a simulation 1:1 of real life, just take the parts that are interesting. Movement in the cab can be interesting because you get to see your ride/home from different points. To me it gives immersion. Same goes with being able to walk around the truck and I've been asking SCS to give an option on the developer camera to lock it at a certain height from the ground, this would be more than enough for me. But before all this, I think owning your own trailer is my #1 request.
SabR

#13280 Post by SabR » 21 Oct 2017 14:32

Thank you SCS for fulfilling a part of the wish. :)

About trailer ownership, I now think ETS2 has matured very well & has a lot more to offer before "hanging up its boots". For all we know, it could happen in 2018 or 2019 or later but I don't see it being kept off the to do list in favor of the next title. Future ETS2 DLCs cannot be maps only and that is why I think trailer ownership & a few others have a bright chance of making it.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”