[ARCHIVED] SCS General Discussion Thread

Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#48281 Post by Mohegan13 » 03 Jul 2020 17:23

Every week day except Friday IIRC.

Still I don't know why you think anything at all is coming today, there's been no release date announcement. You lot are weird.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Rhythmosaur

#48282 Post by Rhythmosaur » 04 Jul 2020 03:13

Quick question with a completely different topic, if anybody likes to answer:

What's the point of adding coming DLCs to your Steam wishlist, provided like in my case it is unlikely that anyone sees it there and decides to buy it for me? Does it help SCS in any way, shape or form?
Hire Kriechbaum!, please!
flight50

#48283 Post by flight50 » 04 Jul 2020 04:39

I am sure it does. Shouldn't matter who's wishlist or who buys it, the dlc's is tagged as watching and purchased. I am sure many people have things in their wishlist but never buys. Both entities should be separate.
howey

#48284 Post by howey » 04 Jul 2020 04:45

I add them to the wishlist mainly for the fact so I don't forget about them, it's handy because steam will send me a email straight away when the game is released. It comes in handy when you live in a different time zone.
alecwarper

#48285 Post by alecwarper » 04 Jul 2020 04:59

I believe adding DLC to a wishlist is mainly just an algorithm thing, where Steam is more likely to promote games which a lot of people have in their wishlist, even if it hasn't been released yet.

I feel like they explained it on of of their streams about why its really helpful on their end for people to put their games in their wishlist.
Some newbie driver

#48286 Post by Some newbie driver » 04 Jul 2020 08:31

Rhythmosaur wrote: 04 Jul 2020 03:13What's the point of adding coming DLCs to your Steam wishlist, provided like in my case it is unlikely that anyone sees it there and decides to buy it for me? Does it help SCS in any way, shape or form?
Lots of companies require of external funds (bank loans or other kind) to keep working. People or companies that invest those funds make their analysis to calculate if the investment isn't too risky and they could had their mon ey (plus the profit) back. SCS can show them in great advance (like a year in the case of Iberia) how many people is clearly decided to purchase the next DLC thus the income it could generate.

Of course, those numbers are just indicative, not a sure fact. But anyways, they are a lot better source of info that just market projections and hypothesis based on past times revenues (that it's the usual way used to calculate part of the risk of an investment).

I'm almost surte that's the reason there was no teasing at all with Iberia, they told us plain and simple since the last Christmas that this will be the next DLC. It's going to be, with a big difference, the largest release of content they had done so far (base games apart). So, their development cost must had to be also one of the biggest they had to pay too. It's necessary for them to have better predictions for the revenue to know how much money they could safely invest in that DLC.

Regards
mackintosh

#48287 Post by mackintosh » 04 Jul 2020 08:47

Indeed, I have read interviews where based on their experience to date, developers have claimed that anywhere between 30% to 50% launch sales come from people who have wishlisted their game or DLC prior to release. Valve have published a more generalised set of data indicating that of all the items wishlisted by individuals prior to release, 13% were bought within a week of release, 13% within 12 months and 3% thereafter. 44% remained wishlisted with 27% removed. They have averaged this out to a 19% 12-month conversion for any given game. And finally there's the algorithm, which apparently gives better exposure and curatorial support to games or DLCs that are popular wishlist items. Valve have not officially disclosed how this works.
Rhythmosaur

#48288 Post by Rhythmosaur » 04 Jul 2020 17:31

A big thanks to you all for being so helpful!

So now I'm gonna definitely do it from the start, because apart from a few paint job packages, all the DLCs for ATS and ETS2 always end up on my hard drive. If I can make it easier for them with a few mouse clicks, I'm happy to do it.
Hire Kriechbaum!, please!
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#48289 Post by Mohegan13 » 04 Jul 2020 18:47

There's also a chance you might get a freebie out of it. People who added ATS to their wishlist pre-release got the Steampunk skins for example. There's always a chance they might do it again with something.

Shame they didn't do it with the Utah hanging toy Bee.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Sora

#48290 Post by Sora » 04 Jul 2020 21:00

I hate stuff like the Steampunk DLC (and the PC Gamer DLC). Generally, I despise when publishers punish players for not hearing about the game soon enough, and that's exactly what pre-order/wishlist/backer-exclusive content is. There are several games I've straight-up not even purchased because they contained content that was literally impossible to legally acquire by the time I had found out about the game.

Inventory items are... better, although I'm still not especially fond of how a player can do the same work and randomly get a worse reward without the ability to try again. I feel like the recent Christmas event did the best job of handling "exclusive" items, because no RNG was involved and they're still obtainable if you really need them.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”