[ARCHIVED] SCS General Discussion Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
F4R35

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#52291 Post by F4R35 » 22 Oct 2020 16:06

@xXCARL1992Xx, I do remember that day, it was back in 2016 if I recall correctly, I was in France and heard it over the Radio.

plykkegaard

#52292 Post by plykkegaard » 22 Oct 2020 16:33

xXCARL1992Xx wrote:
22 Oct 2020 15:56
do you realise there is also green energy produced from wind or the sun and not only coal or atom
... and also geothermal energy

Charts of Germans net power generation capacity, it seems to be fity-fifty

Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Some newbie driver

#52293 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Oct 2020 16:48

Even if electricity comes from non-renewable sources, the big power plants use to be waaaaay more efficient than the usual road vehicle engine. And having the pollution source located in a single point allows for more feasible actions to reduce it. And if greener energies are available so much better for electrical vehicles; while conventional ones will keep causing the same pollution.

Nobody should be fooled anyway, "greener" energies have their own emissions and other drawbacks. The manufacturing of those equipments use to require enormous amounts of energy (so they have to live long and used a lot in order to have a net outcome of energy in its balance). There are lots of other details to consider, things aren't so easy. And in lots of scenarios, conventional engines would keep being the best solutions and we will have to live with them for a lots of years.

Point is that we need alternatives because what we can't afford anymore is to have conventional engines as the only option.

Regards

rookie_one

#52294 Post by rookie_one » 22 Oct 2020 16:54

The main issue I have with wind power is the fact that most of the time it's not working at it's maximum rated power, especially when we know that if it's spinning at half it's rated speed, it will only produce 1/8 of it's rated power

I see wind power as a good peak power, but not as a baseload.....hydropower for those that are lucky to have it (such as where I live) and nuclear power will be the way to go for baseload power for the future

Some newbie driver

#52295 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Oct 2020 17:07

First wind-power installations were though in an isolated way; but on recent times companies and governments have become to thing about them and other "intermittent" power sources (most green ones suffer that problem) in a combined way.

There are a couple of places in Spain where they have 2 dams chained and linked with a flow-back pipe. If there's wind but no power demand (at night, for example); they use the energy of thee windmills to pump water back from the lower dam to the higher one. So that water could be used to generate hydro-electrical power when necessary, even if no wind at that moment. There's a whole island on the Canary ones that is continuously working only on renewable energy and one of their main power sources ifs that kind of combination.

I saw a similar concept time ago in the middle of the USA desert; they have an old railway line with a very heavy electric train placed there. When they have energy in excess, they use it to move the train uphill. When they need energy, they let the train go downhill and the electric engines turned to generators.

Point is to find cheaper ways to "store" energy that windmills can create when there's no necessity for it. That way it can be reduced a lot the standby time of windmills (specially windmills). It makes them also a lot more profitable for the companies, so they don't forcefully need to install them on the most windy places (that at the same time, use to be protected natural zones, almost in here) in order for the invest to be good enough.

Virgo91

#52296 Post by Virgo91 » 22 Oct 2020 17:09

And a new topic started on the SCS General Discussion Thread...again :lol:

Some newbie driver

#52297 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Oct 2020 17:11

Go imagine more than 5k pages still talking about the same. :lol:

rookie_one

#52298 Post by rookie_one » 22 Oct 2020 17:48

Some newbie driver wrote:
22 Oct 2020 17:07
I saw a similar concept time ago in the middle of the USA desert; they have an old railway line with a very heavy electric train placed there. When they have energy in excess, they use it to move the train uphill. When they need energy, they let the train go downhill and the electric engines turned to generators.
You are talking about dynamics brake, they use it on pretty much all locomotive in north america nowadays (it was an option in the 70s and 80s since many railroad that were mostly using rails on flat land such as the CN did not need it at the time, but became standard in the 90s when they realize that it helped reduce cost by having to change brake shoes less often since it meant that you used the air brakes less when you used the dynamic brakes, which means that older locomotive such as the EMD SD40-2 won't always have them, but more recent ones such as the SD70 will have it).

But they use resistor banks instead of batteries because batteries are too heavy and don't store enough energy to be worth it (Keep in mind, a locomotive prime mover that use a C-C wheel placement usually produce between 3 and 3.4 MW usually........more power than many small cities consume)

Some newbie driver

#52299 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Oct 2020 21:07

Yes, regenerative brake, used by almost every modern train anywhere. But the difference with the regenerative you talk about, they don't store it on batteries or burn it on resistor banks, but inject the energy into the power line next to the rail. When I said it was a train I don't meant a conventional train on a regular line. It was an specific modified and automated train (it had engine/generators in lots of axles of the wagons, that were flatbeds loaded with concrete pieces to make it weight a lot). Then the train that was put on an old unused long railway line in the middle of the dessert that had a notable incline. It was a kind of "closed loop". I think they were just testing if the concept was worthy as an alternative to the usual double dams (as that was in the middle of the desert).

Regards
Last edited by Some newbie driver on 22 Oct 2020 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

Madkine

#52300 Post by Madkine » 22 Oct 2020 21:18

oldmanclippy wrote:
22 Oct 2020 14:16
With SCS, it is different in many ways. They are a very small developer and they self publish their games. So they have to do all the marketing, all the outreach, all the development, etc.
SCS hasn't been a very small developer for a long time. With 100+ employee's, they could easily hire a community manager if they wanted to.
They aren't a large developer, but they also aren't a small one.

**I'd rate very small as under 20 employee's.
Last edited by Madkine on 22 Oct 2020 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SCS Site”