Forum Wishlists & Suggestions

Reinhard

Re: Forum Wishlists & Suggestions

#121 Post by Reinhard » 16 Jun 2017 11:56

The new forum style cuts "code" statements according to the browser window size. Example:

Code: Select all

00:00:00.000 : [sys] Command line:  F:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Euro Truck Simulator 2/bin/win_x64/eurotrucks2.exe -noworkshop -force_mods -homedir F:\Steam-ETS2 -64bit -rdevice dx9 -traceout -logall -unlimitedlog -nointro -log F:\Steam-ETS2\Euro Truck Simulator 2\game.-64bit.log
The whole statement from above in its full length:
00:00:00.000 : [sys] Command line: F:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Euro Truck Simulator 2/bin/win_x64/eurotrucks2.exe -noworkshop -force_mods -homedir F:\Steam-ETS2 -64bit -rdevice dx9 -traceout -logall -unlimitedlog -nointro -log F:\Steam-ETS2\Euro Truck Simulator 2\game.-64bit.log
Problem is that this cut isn't indicated or handled. I just stumbled over an example in another thread where I completely missed the meaning of a posting, for a while. Because the cut wasn't obvious.

Slider? Wrap? A visual indicator?
SiSL
SCS Software

#122 Post by SiSL » 16 Jun 2017 11:59

@Reinhard it is exactly for what it is, "code" , single line is single line... There is a "slider" in bottom of it, so you can slide it, alrhough, color is black, so it is hard to see...
Reinhard

#123 Post by Reinhard » 16 Jun 2017 12:18

SiSL wrote: 16 Jun 2017 11:59 color is black, so it is hard to see...
Thanks. So this is the problem. I couldn't see it. :D
piva

#124 Post by piva » 16 Jun 2017 15:54

@SCS Guys, please change icon in browser. Remove black back.
aradeth

#125 Post by aradeth » 02 Jul 2017 14:20

The most crowded/interested part of the forum is Screenshot Section.
I'm just curious why we still have to upload the images at max. 900 pixels?
They are too small. They're just the half of the whole page.

Could you please allow to upload larger images? Bigger than 1280 pixels at least?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another wish, is it possible to see "topics created by you(your topics)" ?
like active topics/unanswered topics.
abasstreppas

#126 Post by abasstreppas » 02 Jul 2017 14:26

You can do it now, I just think the mods has forgot to update the forum rukes. Don't use bigger than 1280 though because then you need to scroll to see the whole picture. Some posters do that anyway and for me it just looks messy :roll:
aradeth

#127 Post by aradeth » 02 Jul 2017 15:21

Yes your screens are 1024 px.

Now i'm happy, thanks :D

------------------

And if you want a proper favicon, it will save your time.
Cadde

#128 Post by Cadde » 02 Jul 2017 16:12

The rules are still there and very much applicable. It's just that we can't go through every thread checking for rule violations. The change in forum limitations (lack thereof) does not mean the rule itself is lifted.
The reasons for the rule are few but quite relevant.
  1. Data limits. Larger images will eat into the monthly/weekly/etc bandwidth limits of the visitors to that particular thread. It may not bother me or anyone else with unlimited data. But let's assume i used my mobile phone to browse the forums, all mobile operators here will limit bandwidth after X number of gigabytes of data transferred. The screenshots section of the forum is nothing but images so it makes sense not to visit those with limited data transfer.
  2. Low bandwidth. It's going to take forever and ever and ever for people on slow connections to open a thread that's jam packed with huge images. Regardless of if it's screenshots or not.
  3. Forum layout on lesser resolutions. There are still users on 1024x768 displays out there. Be it on mobile phones, laptops or otherwise. Posting a large enough image or concocting a certain non-breaking string will break the forum layout in such a way that it becomes nearly impossible to read posts that are more than just "+1", "great shots and trucks" or "thenx foar teh mods". Even if MOST of us here have FullHD (1920x1080) resolution monitors, it doesn't mean you automatically gain the right to assume everyone else are fine.
  4. Loading time even on fast connections. If a thread has a lot of large images in it, it's going to change layout over and over again in any browser. The larger the images are, the longer it takes to load a particular page even on a gigabit internet connection. (the bottleneck is remote, not local)
  5. Finally, as always, the attachment function is ONLY to be used for bug reports and technical issues with the game itself. Still, if people upload larger images (such as 2k or 4k images) to the forum itself, the forum will finally succumb to bandwidth and processing power limitations. Ruining the day for everyone here.
Even though all those points are valid for all users, sometimes (at moderator discretion) it's OK to upload larger images. Personally (even acting as a moderator) i don't give a hoot if you share images in 1280x1024 or even FullHD in the screenshots section. But be mindful of everyone else visiting said thread.

Either way, it's actually quite trivial from SCS's side of things to make images 960 px in size even though they are larger originally. It still wouldn't solve points 1, 2, 4 or 5 though.
On extended hiatus.
aradeth

#129 Post by aradeth » 02 Jul 2017 17:20

"The screenshots section of the forum is nothing but images so it makes sense not to visit those with limited data transfer."

1280 or 1024px aren't big resolutions even for low-end PCs. I have an ancient PC at work and never experienced a problem about performance on screenshot threads.
And as you said visiting a screenshot thread is like a watching video. (high data transfer, bandwidth usage) User must be aware of that.
People use and browse FB, Instagram, news websites etc. those already have alot of media. I think this isn't a problem. It can't be.

If the old forum rules are still valid then this is a very realistic suggestion/wish for 2017: please increase the min. image preview size.
Max
SCS Software

#130 Post by Max » 03 Jul 2017 06:36

its arguable.
i, for example, have notebook at home. its like 1366x768 and bigger pictures are pain to fit into layout or scrolling over. and just for your info, notebook resolution is is one of most common on user side.
but objection was noted, we will discuss it.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”