Emoticons cause error

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Koen

Emoticons cause error

#1 Post by Koen » 08 Dec 2016 16:53

As you are probably aware, keyboards nowadays allow for emoji input (And I don't mean the inline images like this one: :D , but actual characters).
If you for example copy the emoji from http://emojipedia.org/smiling-face-with ... ling-eyes/ , and paste it in a new message and try to post it, it'll give a MySQL db invalid text input error.
Could you either convert those before submission, display an error or just support them? The current solution isn't really user-friendly ;)

You can see the attachment for the invalid character ;)

Last edited by Cadde on 09 Dec 2016 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cropped attachment, exceeded forum image size limitation.

jarvik79

Re: Emoticons cause error

#2 Post by jarvik79 » 08 Dec 2016 17:31

This is because you've used a custom emoji, rather than one officially supported by phpBB.

Koen

#3 Post by Koen » 08 Dec 2016 19:19

Oh really? That's exactly what I wrote myself in the TS. :roll:
Still, you can hardly blame someone for using an unicode character, especially since many keyboards support it by default nowadays :)
Should be fixable by parsing the data to remove all invalid characters.

Moh1336
Beta tester

#4 Post by Moh1336 » 08 Dec 2016 19:23

Use a free image host, upload your favourite emojis, bookmark links, add with [img] tags as required.

If you use a browser that supports scripts there's probably a way to set it up to be automatic too. :P
My Blog/Mod page: http://ijsmods.wordpress.com
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.

Cadde
Global moderator

#5 Post by Cadde » 09 Dec 2016 18:08

Koen wrote:... especially since many keyboards support it by default nowadays ...
WHY? I would not get such a keyboard... But hey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AtBE9BOvvk

And on topic. I doubt SCS are going to fix PhpBB themselves. If the current (latest) release of PhpBB doesn't support this then report it to them.
And with that said, SCS is using a very old version of PhpBB. I doubt they will upgrade it for something like this.
We have suggested many times that SCS make changes to the forum software to take advantage of new features. But i guess they have done some customizations to this and are not keen on redoing them.

It works for what it's meant to do. Hence, i kinda agree with that. Even if i would want some of the better features of later releases myself.
But basically, it all comes down to... Spending hours on forum software when they could be spending hours on developing the game.
ImageGreen text = Moderator action.
ImageWhite text = Opinions and general banter.

Reinhard

#6 Post by Reinhard » 09 Dec 2016 18:20

I'm fine with how it is.

The only value-adding features I would like to see would simply deny postings full of !!!!!!!!, smileys galore, SHOUTING.

This, plus to deny repetition of the same argument more often then three times a year. Hey, there is so much media-hype about AI, in these days. That would be a worthwhile application for a shiny blinking AI-plugin. :D

EDIT: oops, fixed nasty typo, "smileys galore", not "smiles galore". Please smile while typing your posting as much as you can. :mrgreen:

Koen

#7 Post by Koen » 10 Dec 2016 13:11

I know there are a lot of workarounds, that's not my point. My point is that it throws quite an ugly error. (Also, how'd you upload something that's basically a character to an image host?)
The best solution would be to just support emoji, but stripping them or displaying a better error message (this one is difficult to understand for most).
I also get that it's probably phpBB's problem, but that doesn't make it less of a bug ;) I've seen some examples online where it does work...

@Cadde, well, that's a emoji keyboard taken really literally :lol: I mean the on screen keyboards you find on iOS/Android/Windows nowadays. They all feature an emoji button, and people will use it. If an error like this gets thrown, they'll most likely be confused, and not know that it was caused by the emoji.

And of course the actual games are more important than the forum, but with that logic, there would've never been a forum in the first place ;p
Attachments
Knipsel.PNG
Knipsel.PNG (13.46 KiB) Viewed 858 times

Cadde
Global moderator

#8 Post by Cadde » 10 Dec 2016 13:32

Again, i doubt SCS will be updating the forum software. And that's really where it all ends.
Can they fix this? Sure they can... But can they fix it in a way that doesn't take up too much of their valuable time? I doubt it.
Do i want them to fix it? You bet i do! There's PLENTY of features i would love to see on these forums. Collapsible quote blocks for a start.

Either way, apart from them not updating the forum software itself, it's not SCS's fault and they did not pick the error message in question. PhpBB did.
Also, how'd you upload something that's basically a character to an image host?
ShareX is a screen grabbing tool i've started using recently. (Thanks Wilson121 for that)
It lets you either capture the full screen, the bounds of a particular window, or a region that you set up.
And it allows you to draw primitives on the screen before capture!

So, type your characters. Capture as an image. Replace characters with image url (which BTW, ends up in your clipboard the moment you finish the capture) inside image tags.

EDIT: Or you can do as suggested. Just use existing smilies etc from the net... Be it you uploaded them yourself or otherwise.

ImageGreen text = Moderator action.
ImageWhite text = Opinions and general banter.

Koen

#9 Post by Koen » 10 Dec 2016 13:54

Such a shame, but at least this topic can function as a reference for similiar problems in the future.

Evanoccaph

Emoticons cause error

#10 Post by Evanoccaph » 31 Mar 2017 06:24

Is there a way to block any and all incoming email that has
those worthless "emoticons" faces ?

John

Return to “SCS Site”