[DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#21 Post by supersobes » 03 Jan 2019 20:42

Cadde wrote:
03 Jan 2019 03:48
Having read each and every one of your 2502 posts (lol no, not really, but i skimmed over your history) the only reason i could find as to why you shouldn't is you have quoted images in the past. And that is saying something.

EDIT: Ah, i also found two posts with incorrect use of the forum attachment function. ;)
I found the two incorrect attachments. They were here and here. I have now removed the attachments.

I also found and corrected 5 of the quotes containing images. I'm not sure that this is all of them, but this is what I found while while skimming through 250 pages of my own posts:
  1. Next ATS truck speculation, post #242
  2. What would North American Scania trucks look like?, post #22
  3. Screens By Kast, post #1300
  4. (W.I.P) Natvander's "Re-Signing ATS" Project (1.1 09/01), post #177
  5. What would North American Scania trucks look like?, post #26
Also, when you say, "And that is saying something," is that a good thing or a bad thing? I see that it could go one of two ways. It could be a good thing in meaning that in 2,500 posts, you have only found a few mistakes with quotes and attachments. However, it could also be a bad thing in meaning that you were able to find some mistakes that I made in the past.

Also, I have to ask; What are PEBCAK errors?

KrysEmlyn

#22 Post by KrysEmlyn » 03 Jan 2019 21:19

Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard = PEBCAK

Madkine

#23 Post by Madkine » 03 Jan 2019 21:41

Supersobes, Caddes comment was meant as a compliment.

Cadde
Global moderator

#24 Post by Cadde » 04 Jan 2019 01:42

Madkine gets it.

Don't take it so literally supersoaker. ;)
ImageGreen text = Moderator action.
ImageWhite text = Opinions and general banter.
PEBCAK errors... PEBCAK errors everywhere! If my life had a log file, it would be filled with PEBCAK...

supersobes
Global moderator

#25 Post by supersobes » 04 Jan 2019 01:49

@Cadde @Madkine Thanks! :) Yeah, I sometimes take things a bit literally. :? But as you say, it is a bit difficult to tell exactly what is meant by just reading text. ;)

Bandit & The Snowman

#26 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 12 Jan 2019 00:21

About quoting and the rules for it, in some forums in the web the reply function doesn’t include a quote at all. When you press reply, you get the text form plus a button that says “include quote”. That’s slightly more work but it rules out 95% of all unnecessary quoting. In this forum, you have to remove everything you don’t need most of the time, which can be a lot when it’s one of those text walls that some people produce without a break. With the functionality I’m suggesting it’s just the other way around.
Maybe there could be a compromise: Make the quote button include only the “xyz wrote:” line, and the rest will only be inserted if “include full quote” is clicked.
Anyway, my first touches with the internet taught me netiquette, as a part of which I learned how to quote. Back then bandwidth was low and online time was expensive, so correct quoting was a must.

Madkine

#27 Post by Madkine » 12 Jan 2019 01:01

That type of change is likely something that would need to be done by phpBB rather than the site administrators here (but I could be wrong).

Cadde
Global moderator

#28 Post by Cadde » 12 Jan 2019 09:06

PhpBB has all the functionality already. Most of it is already built in while the rest is developed as easy to use plugins.
ImageGreen text = Moderator action.
ImageWhite text = Opinions and general banter.
PEBCAK errors... PEBCAK errors everywhere! If my life had a log file, it would be filled with PEBCAK...

supersobes
Global moderator

#29 Post by supersobes » 16 Jan 2019 20:39

It has been some time since I sent in my application, and I haven't heard back from SCS yet. I checked on my application in my private messages panel, and when I click on the recipient of the application, "New moderator application," it says the group does not exist anymore. This leads me to believe that possibly the application was never received. I checked Cadde's post, and the link for sending an application hasn't been changed since I applied. Is there a way to confirm weather or not my application was received?

-EDIT-

My question was answered via private message. Thank you!

Hiro

#30 Post by Hiro » 16 Jan 2019 21:02

Bandit & The Snowman wrote:
12 Jan 2019 00:21
Back then bandwidth was low and online time was expensive, so correct quoting was a must.
Anyone who has been around net forums (especially car or photography ones) for long enough will remember the dreaded "56k warning" titles in threads with lots of pictures. For Australia, that practice ended last Tuesday when the country's average internet speed finally hit triple digit kB rates....

Having been on numerous forums (and moderated/managed a few) over the past ~15 years, I have definitely noticed netiquette declining substantially.

Return to “SCS Site”