[DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
User avatar
Mohegan13
Global moderator
Posts: 19428
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 09:44
Location: West Yorkshire; Mars
Contact:

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#41 Post by Mohegan13 » 05 Dec 2019 10:45

I think what some of you fail to realise is that we don't just act individually. We discuss things in the moderators forum when need be, some of our actions are dictated by orders from above.

Very recently action was taken against someone, I won't name names as it's not appropriate to discuss action taken on others unless they make it public, but before doing so it was discussed at length with one of the community devs, and while it's not really something we wanted to do, it was agreed a ban was necessary. Just because you get a PM/Warning from X moderator, it doesn't mean that it was them who spotted the infraction. If something is discussed in private, often times it is the next moderator on scene that deals with it. Like wise there are times where we spot something but don't have time to act, so you ask a fellow moderator to deal with it. I'm around a lot, it's statistically more likely during European daylight hours that I am the one to be active, so naturally I appear to be doing more. I'm also currently out of work, so yeah I have way too much free time to moderate.

bumbumek wrote:
05 Dec 2019 00:54
There is nothing you can do mate...
Did it occur to anyone there's nothing we can do in this case either? Clearly not.

TheTexanHusky wrote:
05 Dec 2019 06:05
(hell, he has lots of bias towards me and others)
When I see a post that breaks the rules I deal with it.

Then I will then check the moderators forum & moderator logs for mentions of the username to see how often they break the same rule. If the same (or even multiple rules) are broken frequently I will see how many are from the last 4 weeks, then depending on the severity of the infraction I will issue a warning or PM using 3-strike (serious stuffs) or 10-strike (minor stuffs). Some times something is severe enough to warrant immediate user action, but that is thankfully rare. Rule section [1] would fall under serious stuff.

That's how I deal with all infractions.

Take into account all moderators/admin can see action taken against any individual, even the stuff we don't discuss in private is still automatically logged by the forum. If other moderators disagrees with an action it can be undone/discussed. I know at least one moderator who checks the logs daily (he may need help). ;)


Bias is often called when people get moderated, I've seen it for years over multiple different forums both as a user and moderator. At the end of the day, people don't like to accept their faults, so if blaming others or saying it's bias makes it easier for them to deal with than accepting they broke the rules and got called on it, then that is what people will do.


@yiannis "In my opinion you should be able to register in the forum with your steam account or any other means of evidence you bought the game(s) legally.."

I've asked for this too. It would solve so many issues and cut down on abusive members with multiple accounts.
Image
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
But on my tombstone when I go, just put 'death by rock and roll'.

User avatar
cip
Posts: 5962
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 08:14
Location: Brussels

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#42 Post by cip » 05 Dec 2019 12:13

the thread about "what do moderators do" could perhaps include a pool where we can vote the best moderator, or a survey should be initiated with possibility to rate all moderators (yes/no or marks 1-5). I had some let's say different points on view with some moderators activity so if the users have the power to rate them, maybe would be easier for SCS to decide from time to time to replace those who do not score enough or take some power away from them.
I understand that moderators act as a group and decisions are taken perhaps together, but the way they act against users, language used, explanations given, it's all about personal attitude and for some moderators the lack of respect it's obvious even from their public comments while others can be nice even in PMs. so what would be worth is to rate the human not the moderator.
I can accept to be banned for something I did if said in a polite way, and I can just not accept a warning issued with no explanations or in a rude way!

as for pirated game users I was one of them long time ago, so I personally I understand them. at that time my income did not allow me to buy games, or I did not know if my PC can handle, or I will like the game or not. and Steam was not in place that time as now with good deals and even reimbursement within 2 hours. before ETS2 I had actually no attraction for games, usually played one game for few days than delete. to pay 50 EUR for such game is ridiculous! now with Steam is much easier, launch it play a bit and ask refund if not happy but still you need those money!

after I bought my first game ever, ETS2, I started to buy more games, for example Dirt Rally 2 is now cheaper that the Black Sea DLC, so the DLC can wait a bit more :lol: even with a good salary I still find some games very expensive and I don't buy them until serious offer like 70% for Dirt Rally 2. but for a student and people with no income or very low income any price it may be too much, so yes I understand them!
I believe nobody should blame them, and the only thing they should suffer is not to receive any help in case of issues, and in a polite way ;) nobody steal anything, they just got something for free because somebody made it working without cost. the company do not loose money because of this!!! just because if they cannot download for free, they will never buy the game anyway so they just won't play ;)
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
I have quit SCS forum...

User avatar
bumbumek
Posts: 3792
Joined: 02 Jun 2014 13:14
Location: Poznań, Poland

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#43 Post by bumbumek » 05 Dec 2019 12:44

Mohegan13 wrote:
05 Dec 2019 10:45


(...)Very recently action was taken against someone, I won't name names as it's not appropriate to discuss action taken on others unless they make it public, but before doing so it was discussed at length with one of the community devs, and while it's not really something we wanted to do, it was agreed a ban was necessary(...)
Perhaps you are talking about me. While we may have different opinions whether my monthly ban was fair or not, it is absolutely not right, that I wasn't informed that I was given one. I should receive an email with this (I registered, so my email is visible to you, is it not?), but no, I had to contact SCS Software with the request of explanation why I cannot register. Then I sent a post in SCS Site section - you replied, Mohegan13.

Other thing is about deleting posts - last week my two posts were erased from the forum. I haven't been informed either. Is it so hard for you guys, to send a PM with a message: "Your post was deleted blah, blah, blah?" Doing so, you would act more professional, avoiding thinking, that you are doing what you want.

I'm not a youngling, I participate in many discussion forums (Polish and English), and really, I've seen bad things and worse, so PLEASE - do not go that way, dear moderators.

User avatar
Mohegan13
Global moderator
Posts: 19428
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 09:44
Location: West Yorkshire; Mars
Contact:

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#44 Post by Mohegan13 » 05 Dec 2019 12:45

Nope bumbumek, I wasn't referring to you.
Image
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
But on my tombstone when I go, just put 'death by rock and roll'.

User avatar
bumbumek
Posts: 3792
Joined: 02 Jun 2014 13:14
Location: Poznań, Poland

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#45 Post by bumbumek » 05 Dec 2019 13:01

OK, it doesn't matter. But PLEASE, take my advice into account. That's all I ask. It isn't much.

User avatar
Mohegan13
Global moderator
Posts: 19428
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 09:44
Location: West Yorkshire; Mars
Contact:

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#46 Post by Mohegan13 » 05 Dec 2019 13:07

bumbumek wrote:
05 Dec 2019 12:44
it is absolutely not right, that I wasn't informed that I was given one. I should receive an email with this (I registered, so my email is visible to you, is it not?), but no, I had to contact SCS Software with the request of explanation why I cannot register. Then I sent a post in SCS Site section - you replied, Mohegan13.
When you are banned the forum shows you a message as to why you are banned and for how long. Unfortunately we didn't realise that that forum configuration prevented people from seeing this message. Max has since fixed that. So going forward that shouldn't be an issue.

As for emails: The forum can't send emails it is not possible, there is no mail service connected to it. Since I don't think anyone would really want to share their personal email address with random users, it's really not feasible to expect emails from moderators. It's also worth noting that I personally would find it an invasion of privacy just to look at people's emails and send mail to it just because I can see it.

However it might be worth creating a shared email so people have an option to email moderators. I'll present the idea to the group.
Image
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
But on my tombstone when I go, just put 'death by rock and roll'.

Bocaj
Posts: 2268
Joined: 14 Feb 2017 11:08
Location: Somewhere on E4
Contact:

Re: what has this world come too?

#47 Post by Bocaj » 05 Dec 2019 15:35

TheTexanHusky wrote:
05 Dec 2019 06:05
I do think that you're overreacting a bit too much about this.
Do I really? The pirate got in the heat and couldnt handle the pressure he made on him self and wanted topic locked, boom topic got locked right after, that some serious power given to a pirate. He should have been boiled in the heat he created.

@cip thats a weird form of logic that its you think that because you actively achive a product for free its not stealing when the prouducts is announced with price and a copyright. And you claim the company dont loose money from pirating? So do you think this game was still around if everybody pirate ets2?
Image

User avatar
cip
Posts: 5962
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 08:14
Location: Brussels

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#48 Post by cip » 05 Dec 2019 16:37

@Bocaj we need to think beyond the limits that impose us to respect rigorously the rules in this world. do we blame the poor people because they are poor and we ask them to find jobs and earn their food because this is how most people usually do? we shall close all the social canteens then ?
at that certain level of intelligence that human beings currently are, most of the games producers arrived at the point that they sell enough copies to sustain themselves if their game is good enough. then they can ignore a few pirated copies for those who really want to play the game and they have no money. actually game producers could even do more, like following those active "pirates" on forums and from time to time maybe offering a free legal copy of the game, or DLCs (for example for a certain number of threads covered on the forum, or for consecutive days of activity, level of help offered, mods created, etc)
well this is not really happening in reality or it's very rare, normally nobody gets anything for free in this world :lol: and if they get it form other sources, they are blamed for stealing. if somebody takes your wallet in the bus, that's stealing, a child collecting coins thrown away by an outlaw it is not
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
I have quit SCS forum...

Bocaj
Posts: 2268
Joined: 14 Feb 2017 11:08
Location: Somewhere on E4
Contact:

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#49 Post by Bocaj » 06 Dec 2019 17:06

@cip you are comparing able and oranges, social canteens GIVE the food away for free to the poor people. People are in need of food, not pc games, its a luxury! So by pirating the game is stealing no matter your are poor or not. dont get me wrong i think its sad that some people are so poor they have to steal for as low as 50 euro, but it still dont excuse them that they are poor.

also you believe that if just pirates hang around the forum for amount of the time, they should get a thankyou for hang around with a pirate copy? by getting a free game/DLC key, now you are rewarding thiefs? What do you think honest people and players will feel about this? not good that i can tell you!!
Image

User avatar
Craig
Posts: 290
Joined: 07 May 2015 14:23
Contact:

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#50 Post by Craig » 01 Oct 2020 14:01

I was reading another thread here on the forum, and I noticed a lot of blacked out words, redacted. Here is an example picked at random:

viewtopic.php?p=1423381#p1423381

flight50 wrote:
30 Sep 2020 21:28
Don't but a time table on it and all is good. pm me when though and I won't tell anyone, lol. I can fully respect the fact you mention, don't worry and more will come later. I fully trust your words and I can have confidence and patience for more options.
Just curious if this is a moderator doing this and why?

I may have answered my own question. When I quoted flight's post, I was able to read the blacked out words. It looks like he just used "spoiler" tags. If that's the correct term?

Post Reply

Return to “SCS Site”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests