SCS Modding Wiki Feedback Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Smarty
Beta tester

SCS Modding Wiki Feedback Thread

#1 Post by Smarty » 10 Mar 2017 00:30

Considering the Modding Wiki has been open for a little over a year, I'm kind of surprised a thread like this doesn't exist yet (unless I just suck at searching). I'm also under the impression that the Wiki might be kind of under-utilized. I think it would be valuable to get some feedback on people's experiences and opinions on it.

Some examples of useful feedback:
  • Do you use the wiki?
  • Is it easy to find what you're looking for?
  • Were you looking for something specific and couldn't find it?
  • Is there an article you think could be better-written or better-organized?
  • Is there an article you think is well-written or well-organized?
  • What do you think of the existing tutorials? Have you gotten lost somewhere?
  • Is there a specific kind of tutorial you would like to see?
  • Have you come across an error? Omission? Broken link?
  • Is something too technical?
  • ...Not technical enough? :geek:
Hopefully this results in some constructive feedback. I think that the Wiki is a great initiative and has a lot of potential — It would be awesome to see it reach that potential.

natvander

Re: SCS Modding Wiki Feedback Thread

#2 Post by natvander » 10 Mar 2017 00:54

IMO the data in the modding guides should also be in the wiki (and updated when required). At the moment if you want to edit (for example) an engine file, you need to open each of the modding guide updates to hopefully find what you need. What would be awesome is if the wiki definitions (documentation/engine/game data) covered at least initially the commonly edited sii files like engine, transmission, game data, etc and explained what does what.

To me, while somewhat helpful in some ways, the wiki feels incomplete.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their
level and beat you with experience.

RudiRaser

#3 Post by RudiRaser » 10 Mar 2017 00:58

Smarty wrote: [*]Is there a specific kind of tutorial you would like to see?
[/list]
missing all infos about traffic,/rules, behavior, all possible settings/files, explanations what the commands do exactly...etc

also infos about changes. for example: in 1.27 the AIs block now again driveways. can´t find this info in any changelog? are there more stuff?

would be nice. ;)

Smarty
Beta tester

#4 Post by Smarty » 10 Mar 2017 14:25

Natvander: I think you may like some upcoming articles. ;)

RudiRaser: Traffic stuff isn't exactly my wheelhouse, but I agree it would be good to have some documentation on that. Maybe somebody can convince some of the ProMods guys, piva, etc to become contributors. :P

Cadde
Global moderator

#5 Post by Cadde » 15 Mar 2017 00:11

Moved from ETS 2 -> Mods -> Modding Guides. Not a guide.
ImageGreen text = Moderator action.
ImageWhite text = Opinions and general banter.

Smarty
Beta tester

#6 Post by Smarty » 23 Jun 2017 19:02

I have some good news for anyone who's been wanting better documentation for certain types of units. I've been working on some articles describing mostly truck/trailer-specific units, with some help from Max and 50keda, a lot of which have recently been approved for display. There is a slight glitch with the function used to generate the list, so it's showing a lot of articles which aren't finished/approved yet, but all the accessory_*_data units are ready. I'd love to know what people think about them; Are they easy to follow? Are there things you like/dislike about them?

Cadde: Arguably, this thread is more relevant in Modding Guides seeing as the Modding Wiki is a collection of modding guides. The intended audience of this thread is much more likely to see it there than in the SCS Site subforum. :?

Cadde
Global moderator

#7 Post by Cadde » 23 Jun 2017 20:31

Well done Smarty!

Also, arguably, this does not belong in Modding Guides as it's simply not a modding guide. If there was a subforum in modding named "development" or "discussion" or otherwise then it would have ended up there but all subforums in the modding sections are for released mods (which this is not), help requests (which this is not) and guides (which this is not)
If you want to re-write this thread so that it fits the guide format... Say, "how to use the scs modding wiki to make mods" then maybe i would feel comfortable seeing it in modding guides.

And now, since i am spending time to post...
  • Do you use the wiki? - Not really.
  • Is it easy to find what you're looking for? - Not really.
  • Were you looking for something specific and couldn't find it? - Yes but i can't recall what.
  • Is there an article you think could be better-written or better-organized? - A few but overall they are good.
  • Is there an article you think is well-written or well-organized? - A few, none in particular mentioned.
  • What do you think of the existing tutorials? Have you gotten lost somewhere? - Tutorials?
  • Is there a specific kind of tutorial you would like to see? - How to send data back to the game through plugins. ;)
  • Have you come across an error? Omission? Broken link? - No.
  • Is something too technical? - Nope.avi
  • ...Not technical enough? :geek: - Yes.avi
With that said, i am already registered as a contributor on the WIKI and i had plans to add a lot of stuff to the wiki but then i took one of my extended breaks from the forums and all that stuff. So i never got round to doing it.
ImageGreen text = Moderator action.
ImageWhite text = Opinions and general banter.

RiXeN

#8 Post by RiXeN » 24 Jun 2017 00:40

I second the suggestion about Traffic documentation, and i'd also like to suggest flares too.
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I5-4690K |//| XFX Radeon R9 280x 3GB |//| 16GB RAM |//| 1TB HDD​
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens

Return to “SCS Site”