Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

#581 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Jul 2021 16:47

considering that i said more then once a thread is needed for general chit chat that has nothing to do with SCS or the games from SCS nothing was done, the argument was always "It isnt needed, we have the SCS General Discussion thread for this" but the moment it goes to off topic it is locked and "cleaned up" again
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#582 Post by Mohegan13 » 27 Jul 2021 16:48

It is worth noting that we want to get rid of the two off-topic areas under the game categories and merge them into one category for general discussions since there's no reason to have two separate ones.

Sadly moderators don't have the power to do it, there's a lot we want to do, but we have to wait on someone else to do it for us.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Bandit & The Snowman

#583 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 27 Jul 2021 17:12

I’ve always missed an off-topic section where players of all SCS games can be reached. I’ve not made posts (yet) because I kind of would have to make double posts, one for each side.
That said, the existing off-topic sections reach members only interested in European and American stuff respectively, so I would miss them if they were to vanish completely.
I would also miss the SCS general discussion thread if it had to go, with all its on- and off-topic proliferation in all directions. To me it’s the central thread of this whole forum.
oldmanclippy

#584 Post by oldmanclippy » 27 Jul 2021 17:21

It sort of feels like traveling between two worlds when I visit the ETS2 and ATS sides of the forums. There are very few people comparatively who are active on both sides, so it's kind of weird seeing two sets of people when I move from a thread in ETS2 to a thread in ATS. The SCS General Discussion Thread was one of the only places where you'd be able to see all the people. I'm still relatively new here but still able to recognize "names and faces" and it's nice to hear what different people have to say about things and being able to get a gauge for their overall opinions over time. That's the big difference between small forums and big social media; on reddit for example you're not gonna be able to recognize most users because there's just too many of them and the discussions are structured completely differently, but here and on forums like this one you're able to recognize most people and feel like you're part of a community more. That's hard to do without a central discussion thread like @Bandit & The Snowman alluded to.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Some newbie driver

#585 Post by Some newbie driver » 27 Jul 2021 20:25

Mohegan13 wrote: 27 Jul 2021 16:48there's no reason to have two separate ones.
I would say too the "modding" related threads have no reason to be separated; that way the knowledge is only spread and hidden more deep into the forum. All the player-to-player or technical help kind of things would be better having their direct category on the main page. The code of the games are shared so the problems and solutions are too but actually there are tons of repeated (then wasted) efforts in both sides. A lot of people for example misses lots of good info about FMOD modding just because they don't use to go to ATS side where lots of efforts in guessing and trying and documenting were done at the beginning.

The exception of course will be the place where to find/showcase published mods; it has all the sense to have them separated by games.

Regards
plykkegaard

#586 Post by plykkegaard » 27 Jul 2021 21:38

Historic reasons? Breaking the forum apart might be a little too late

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Graf_Boinenn

#587 Post by Graf_Boinenn » 29 Jul 2021 13:44

Well, to be honest, I really liked the general discussion tread because it was a great source of some news on social media or SteamDB for both games. And the comments, opinions and so on were in general good and with respect. In the end, we were the same talking there...

I have been on music forums in the past, being as an admin and/or moderator, and we had some off-topic section to talk about other stuff. Maybe that can work here.
Wacky Geek

#588 Post by Wacky Geek » 29 Jul 2021 14:42

Jokingly, maybe someone could create General Discussion - part II, and let's find out how long it takes until someone locks or deletes it :)
#BestCommunityEver I lough a lot every time I see that. Maybe it was once upon a time, but not anymore
Some newbie driver

#589 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 Jul 2021 19:07

Zero coma seconds.
Sora

#590 Post by Sora » 30 Jul 2021 09:01

I don't usually spend a lot of time here, but when I do, the general thread was always my first stop - to see whether or not anything interesting had happened, and if so, investigate further accordingly. While it wasn't always strictly relevant, the thread served a useful purpose of collecting information for both games across a fairly wide variety of sources.

As it stands, finding out whether or not something interesting is going here just feels like too much work. I know how to manually check the blog, obviously, but that's not the only place things happen. And while I have an existent interest in ETS2 stuff, I'm almost never realistically going to go over to that board seeking it out, meaning that the responses in the general thread were usually the most I'd see of them. So now I just don't see it, end of story.

This forum has a number of boards or topics that are probably not especially necessary or useful, but I wouldn't ever list the general thread as one of them.

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”