Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Truckdrivr

Re: Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

#591 Post by Truckdrivr » 30 Jul 2021 10:58

i will ditto @Sora

and on a personal note, i think that the last 4-6 months have been open and locked threads all the time, its confusing and feel like (to me) that this forum is not open to debate or conversation anymore, only straight to the point on-topic is allowed now, which to me makes the forum less fun. it seems way to micro-managed by moderators at this point and i begin to wonder if mods simply have too much time on their hands and is making up work for them selves? same goes for the ever changing forum rules that i have given up in knowing what rules i should follow. They are constant added or removed and there is to me way to much micro managing in what users are allowed on this forum. i understand it is a forum for everybody and i am fine with that, but too many rules (that is changed frequently) is killing the fun for me. this is not meant as a dispespect just my honest views and opinions.
Convoy nametag: Truckdrivr
See you on the road 8-)

My screenshot thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=302557
PBandJ

#592 Post by PBandJ » 30 Jul 2021 11:08

I have been here for over 2 years and have very rarely seen any type of rule changes, so would have to disagree with the statement "ever changing". The forums are full of conversations and debates over all kinds of subjects. The only time I have seen a mod step in if the subject got way off topic and a reminder to try and keep it focused on what the subject was about, or if the conversation is heating up beyond what is allowed here. It is an impossible task to try and keep everyone happy, but I think these forums are some of the best I frequent. I think the majority of mods here do a very good job of allowing people to talk about things as long as it stays civil and doesn't break any of the few rules established here.
Truckdrivr

#593 Post by Truckdrivr » 30 Jul 2021 11:21

i should have noted, in my time on the forum. ofcourse i have not been here 2 years only since februry this year. but the only time you have seen a mod step in is once? in the almost 7 months i have visited this forum General Discussion has been locked at least 2 times 1.40 (or was it 1.41) was also locked for a longer period because a mod got upset as far as i could find out. and that what is confusing to me when i visit this forum only 1-2 times per week and see a major thread locked for reasons not able to find out, and then a big conversation topic that i thought General Discussion was about is close to what i understand users misbahaving or an experiment to see what the forum becomes without it?! i am on this forum to chit chat about the games i love and have fun with other people not being part of an experiment to see how we behave when big topics are locked disabling the exact thing i came here for.
once again no disrespect just seen from my view.
Convoy nametag: Truckdrivr
See you on the road 8-)

My screenshot thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=302557
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#594 Post by Mohegan13 » 30 Jul 2021 11:45

Truckdrivr wrote: 30 Jul 2021 11:21was also locked for a longer period because a mod got upset as far as i could find out.
Yeah we tend to get upset when people keep slinging mud, flaming, trolling and outright insulting each other.

We will lock a topic while we remove posts in bulk, if we leave it open and someone posts in it during clean up that new post may accidentally be deleted too. The down side of that specific topic is that it moves really fast, particularly if there's been some news on the SCS front. So by the time we see issues, because we aren't here much, there's often a lot of pages to read through. At really busy times that topic can gain 20+ pages in a couple of hours.

We only lock it for going off topic in extreme situations, it is known to the community as the off topic topic. We actually allow it to do that for a reason, but there are times it goes too far. But 9 times out of 10, it's locked because someone said bad things and needed a clean up.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
PBandJ

#595 Post by PBandJ » 30 Jul 2021 13:31

@Truckdrivr No where did I say that I only saw a mod step in once.....:) I said that the only time I have seen one step in was under the conditions I stated, not that they only did it once....:)
oldmanclippy

#596 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Jul 2021 14:56

I agree that the mods here are probably the best of any forum I frequent. That being said, I think it's a bit silly that a replacement for the SCS General Discussion Thread has not been made yet. If the mods don't have time to make one, then let some user start another one. If some people are being disrespectful, they can get banned, but it makes no sense to have the topic as a whole completely disallowed at this point. If the off-topic thread was too off-topic, then we need an off-topic thread that can get as off-topic as we want it to, not including disrespectful behavior of course. Off-topic in an off-topic thread should not be against the rules. Incivility, of course, but going off-topic, no.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
plykkegaard

#597 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Jul 2021 15:01

It has been said already: Moderators does not have sufficient access rights to create sub forums
Only Founders or Administrator can do this
You need to customize the access rights for the moderator group to enable it

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
oldmanclippy

#598 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Jul 2021 15:02

@plykkegaard Creating a new subforum isn't a requirement to solve this problem. Regardless, I see that the SCS General Discussion Thread has been unlocked so my point is moot. Thank you mods.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#599 Post by Mohegan13 » 30 Jul 2021 16:12

oldmanclippy wrote: 30 Jul 2021 14:56 Off-topic in an off-topic thread should not be against the rules. Incivility, of course, but going off-topic, no.
The real issue is that the topic is in a section it shouldn't be in at all. This section is exclusively meant for site feedback and issues and that topic has never been about either.

The whole topic doesn't belong here. Most of the content could go in the appropriate game forums where topics already exists to discuss them, as for the off topic talk, there's two whole subforums to talk about everything else, you can make as many off topic topics as you want there. Part of the issue is of course there's TWO of em instead of one category. :roll:
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
oldmanclippy

#600 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Jul 2021 21:44

@Mohegan13 I agree with that and understand completely, I more so meant in general: if a thread is in the right spot and designated off-topic, then any appropriate and civil off-topic discussion should be allowed. I get that SCS Site is a mal-fitting subform for an off topic thread.

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”