Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Eugene
Global moderator

Re: Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

#601 Post by Eugene » 02 Sep 2021 06:34

Dunno if this has been discussed or not, but i'll leave it here as a reminder.
E-Mail notifications on PMs from forum arrive with a huge delay. Today (sept. 2) i recieve e-mail notification about PM that were sent to me on aug. 25.
I think something should be done abot this. In meantime, i turned this notifications off for me
Some newbie driver

#602 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Sep 2021 20:29

I'm guessing if the problem of mail notifications are just a matter volume restrictions on mail server.

I mean, in order to avoid your mail server to not be flagged as SPAM source and be put on every blacklist out there (what renders it useless, because all destination mail servers were we have our mailboxes will automatically discard any mail from the forum); then the amounts of e-mails had to be reduced to a certain limit per time period.

So, if we are all generating too much mail notifications and/or combined with a too conservative mail/hour restriction to avoid problems; that could easily create a very long mail queue of notifications pending.

Just guessing, but I've seen similar problems a few times in the past in other places.

Regards
plykkegaard

#603 Post by plykkegaard » 02 Sep 2021 21:32

Some newbie driver wrote: 02 Sep 2021 20:29 ... volume restrictions on mail server.
Sorry the board has a mail daemon which uses SMTP forwarding
If this is a problem any service sending invoices by mail would have an issue

The mail service probably can't handle the load which is the main cause of the delay of 3-4 days on topic notifications
You could say "volume restriction by design"

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#604 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Sep 2021 21:47

Oh, all services sending e-mail invoices HAVE that problem. They have to pay for specific mail relay services allowed to do mass mailing to avoid to be put in those same black lists (or act as I said, limit their mail/hour throughput).

I've dealt with that problem twice with two customers that weren't aware at all of those topics configured on their own their billing software to e-mail invoices to their clients to go green and reduce paper waste. What they ended doing is having problems for some weeks until all the mess was cleaned.

And it's not a load problem for sure. I've seen real toaster PC to handle LOTS of mails (just thing in all the SPAM any infected random house computer can send). To send mails in absurd amounts is not a resource problem to any modern computer. To inspect them, classify them and manage the destination mailboxes and it's activity is where one needs more punch.

But as I said, that's just a guess about this being the reason of the delays in this case.

Regards
plykkegaard

#605 Post by plykkegaard » 03 Sep 2021 06:32

Some newbie driver wrote: 02 Sep 2021 21:47 .. To send mails in absurd amounts is not a resource problem to any modern computer. To inspect them, classify them and manage the destination mailboxes and it's activity is where one needs more punch.
I am talking about a service agreement between a company (SCS Soft) and a hosting company, not some random setup
SCS has dedicated services for SMTP forwarding (managing mailboxes is not needed in this case)

If it is not a resource problem why the delay? The service is useless
On other php boards it is not a problem even on boards with a large number active users / topics

[EDIT]
Case closed: All email notifications has been disabled in my user control panel

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Eugene
Global moderator

#606 Post by Eugene » 03 Sep 2021 17:40

I did the same.
dubtrucker

#607 Post by dubtrucker » 19 Sep 2021 22:02

Sector 3 has a good forum because one can like a post or not, here is like in Steam. Can't agree or disagree to a post I can only post an answer, I'm missing this in a lot of forums. Oldschool style
plykkegaard

#608 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Sep 2021 08:24

You have mods for phpbb3 to enable this, but imo it is close to useless
Much better to have a discussion on the subject

IvanKuz

#609 Post by IvanKuz » 22 Sep 2021 21:07

Put that giant "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN BUGS" warning header not only in the Bugs subforum, but also in the each of the Bugs 1.XX subforums.
And most importantly in the reply forms of each of those subforums as well. And make it three times bigger there. Otherwise people will never learn.
Some newbie driver

#610 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Sep 2021 21:13

And people will continue ignoring it. SCS isn't going to find a miraculous cure for our human nature.

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”