Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

#461 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Jun 2020 15:47

more like dedicated what OS you use, i cant really see it because all 2 browser i have are chrome based, so i wouldn't see any difference anyway

in my case the emotes look like the one used by Twitter, Discord has the same

and Unicode is standardized, they (Unicode Consortium) are the ones to unify it, what it looks like doesnt matter, if it doesnt stray from the base, but the code for it is the same over all OSs/Browser etc. because without a standard, we know how it would end up if everybody starts to brew their own soup
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#462 Post by Some newbie driver » 27 Jun 2020 16:14

Yes, as I said, Unicode is an standard, but in the case of emoticons generated with Unicode, the only standard is the meaning. Unicode consortium will never say how an emoticon should look. They will say just "code XXXXXX is the emoticon for the meaning smile"; and done.

And whatever the look any OS or software wants to give to the Unicode emotes; that isn't related in any way with the emotes of this forum. Those are static images and have not changed. If @coolusername has seen any changes anywhere it's because he was using Unicode emoticons (instead of the ones embedded in the forum) and he has done (aware of it or not) some change in the software he's using to browse the forum.
Polarlicht

#463 Post by Polarlicht » 27 Jun 2020 16:22

I have not changed anything! I use Firefox and the emotes changed and look weird now.
supersobes
Global moderator

#464 Post by supersobes » 27 Jun 2020 17:13

The smileys as phpBB calls them are the same as they were, but the texture bug that caused there to be white lines around the edges of them while using the "Dark subsilver2" theme has been fixed.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#465 Post by Mohegan13 » 27 Jun 2020 17:23

I actually think they look worse like this.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
xXCARL1992Xx

#466 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Jun 2020 17:38

now we see how horrendous they really are

best way would be a plugin to just use the unicode ones like on Discord, they partially work already but some are override by phpBBs emoticons like :smile:
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#467 Post by Mohegan13 » 03 Jul 2020 09:06

If you disable the stock ones that share the same name like :wink: it prevents the phpbb version overriding the written/unicode version. But it's not retro active. So anyone who typed :wink: rather than ;) it will revert their emote to text instead.

We could get a smilie pack that just replaces all phpbb ugly ones with something more modern, but then you have to go looking for license free ones since SCS is a business and would have to pay for most of the packs out there.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
xXCARL1992Xx

#468 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 03 Jul 2020 09:09

there are plugins that use the unicode ones, everybody who uses Windows, Linux, macOS, Android or iOS has their own set already, SCS doesnt really need to provide images, just a way to select the them and then past the correct unicode for it like on discord for example
[ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

#469 Post by supersobes » 04 Jul 2020 21:41

It seems that the "Select All" button on code boxes does not work on a mobile device running iOS. Tapping the button does nothing, but the text in the box is still able to be selected if you manually drag your finger over it. I wonder if there is a way to make it work on iOS.

Edit: Oddly enough, it works if you double tap the "Select All" button rather than just tapping it once.

Code: Select all

This is random text in a code box.
xXCARL1992Xx

#470 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 04 Jul 2020 22:33

The first tap you do wont register, after that every single tap highlights the text until you refresh the page again
[ external image ]

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”