Steam inventory mods restiction discussion [Questions Answered]

Please stay up to date with the content of this section.
piva

Re: Steam inventory mods restiction discussion [Questions Answered]

#221 Post by piva » 17 Apr 2019 06:39

mjack wrote: 16 Apr 2019 14:36 unless you know about some issues
No.Overrides work good and I do not have any issues when use it. But we need more types for overrides, because if modder create standalone mod with problem content, if he use overrides - overrides always require original file for update. So this mod can be fully compatible with new SCS requests.
Of course if SCS want to support modders to create proper mods, if no - no problem. :lol:
SiSL
SCS Software

#222 Post by SiSL » 17 Apr 2019 07:09

overrides only work on initial loaded files (well files that are loaded until it is loaded). It does not work on files later loaded (or on-demand files) such as ai, trailers or accessories. trucks etc. as far as I know...
piva

#223 Post by piva » 17 Apr 2019 07:21

SiSL wrote: 17 Apr 2019 07:09 overrides only work on initial loaded files .... It does not work on files later loaded (or on-demand files) such as ai, trailers or accessories. trucks etc. as far as I know...
Maybe we wait mjack answer, who create override system?
SiSL
SCS Software

#224 Post by SiSL » 17 Apr 2019 07:30

I just asked and got my confirmation :) it only works for specific unit types like traffic_rule or traffic_lane at the moment.
mjack
SCS Software

#225 Post by mjack » 17 Apr 2019 07:43

The override system was created specifically for modding purposes ;) Unfortunately, it is not possible to add some 'universal' support for all units since there are many differences in how and when various units are loaded
piva

#226 Post by piva » 17 Apr 2019 07:49

I think about /def/vehicle/ and /def/world/ folders only - not "universal" at all.
Ok. No problem. Thanks for answer.
BJWyler

#227 Post by BJWyler » 20 Apr 2019 15:15

One other aspect of this issue has been bouncing around in my head the last couple of days.

If we are agreeing that the banning of mods that include unlocks for DLC stuff and WoTr event reward items on the grounds of piracy and treading on IP rights so to speak, where does that leave mods that use real life companies and logos? What about those mods that add in truck types that are not officially licensed for the game? Aren't they treading on the same "illegalness" that the DLC and WoTr mods are?
xXCARL1992Xx

#228 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Apr 2019 15:23

SCS never said anything of IP infringement, they dont want earnable items (WoTr) and paid content (DLCs) to be traded and made available without unlocking the rewards (WoTr) or owning the DLC, they will ban those mods out of Steam Workshop and the Forum, over the rest of the internet they cant do much about

the very first answer from Carthoo in his post already covered the question

people are interpreting suff into something that wasnt even mentioned or meant or would never have been thought of in 1000 years
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
BJWyler

#229 Post by BJWyler » 20 Apr 2019 16:19

I get that. SCS is in their right to ban anything they don't want for any reason. I guess my question is more of a philosophical one.

If the overarching issue is one of piracy, it infringing upon SCS's content rights, and we agree that is a bad thing because it is essentially stealing from SCS, especially in terms of DLC content, then why would unlicensed content in mods not receive the same consideration?

We know what would happen if SCS added this stuff themselves without securing a licensing contract. So why as a community are we saying "the heck with it" and adding this stuff in anyway and essentially stealing licensing money from these companies? Why do we consider it bad to steal from SCS, but it's OK to steal from these other companies?

Does us adding these types of mods put into jeopardy SCS's ability to secure license rights to these things at some point in the future?
xXCARL1992Xx

#230 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Apr 2019 16:39

because a brand never goes after one person, they would blow more money for a lawsuit then they would get out of it, SCS they can legally sue if they use content without license because they make money with products from other copyright/trademark holders

pays mods are illegal and should all be put down without question, mods as is (none paid ones) are a gray area, they dont harm the copyright/trademark holder because they dont make money with it so nothing is gained but at the same time nothing is lost and the companies don see a big harm in it (yet, exception are always there)

and nobody, and i mean NOBODY, can prevent people from modding a game, you can do what you want there is always one who will break the game to make it modable

and the last question, only a Dev or Pavel himself can answer it, it could make licensing harder but at the same time they could see it as a way that fans want their trucks/trailer etc. in the game and make it easier
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “Forum Rules and Announcements”