Steam inventory mods restiction discussion [Questions Answered]

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Steam inventory mods restiction discussion [Questions Answered]

#231 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Apr 2019 16:39

because a brand never goes after one person, they would blow more money for a lawsuit then they would get out of it, SCS they can legally sue if they use content without license because they make money with products from other copyright/trademark holders

pays mods are illegal and should all be put down without question, mods as is (none paid ones) are a gray area, they dont harm the copyright/trademark holder because they dont make money with it so nothing is gained but at the same time nothing is lost and the companies don see a big harm in it (yet, exception are always there)

and nobody, and i mean NOBODY, can prevent people from modding a game, you can do what you want there is always one who will break the game to make it modable

and the last question, only a Dev or Pavel himself can answer it, it could make licensing harder but at the same time they could see it as a way that fans want their trucks/trailer etc. in the game and make it easier
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Timmy
Duck thief

#232 Post by Timmy » 24 Apr 2019 10:37

BJWyler wrote:
20 Apr 2019 15:15
If we are agreeing that the banning of mods that include unlocks for DLC stuff and WoTr event reward items on the grounds of piracy and treading on IP rights so to speak, where does that leave mods that use real life companies and logos? What about those mods that add in truck types that are not officially licensed for the game? Aren't they treading on the same "illegalness" that the DLC and WoTr mods are?
Content owners can send a DMCA request here when there are IP infringement issues.

BJWyler

#233 Post by BJWyler » 29 Apr 2019 13:02

Oi, how the time flies. Obviously there's other considerations that have to come into play before a corporation goes after some individual making a mod for a game, and of course there must be prior awareness of this situation and the ability of the corporation to take action via a DMCA request.

But for me, at the end of the day, just because a corporation isn't aware of a potential violation that would result in a DMCA or it's just not worth the time and money to go after a mod author doesn't make it any less wrong.

I don't usually use mods and prefer official and supported content for my gaming experience. But what I struggle with is that if it's wrong for me to use a mod that unlocks DLC content without needing to purchase said DLC (which is indeed wrong), then why would I be OK using a mod that provides an unlicensed truck, or provides unlicensed real company logos. For me wrong is wrong and if we are taking a stand against one, then it's only fair that we should take an equal stand against another.

For me it's kinda like finding someone who is breaking into my house to rob me, but telling him: "hey don't steal from me, but my neighbor is away for the week, so go break into his house and steal from him." That just kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Mohegan13
Beta tester

#234 Post by Mohegan13 » 29 Apr 2019 13:34

There is no way for you to know whether mods have permission or not. Unlike paid work like SCS games, mods are generally free, so getting permission from respective companies is usually quite easy and doesn't involve licensing at all.

Not all companies will say yes, but many will. I believe SiSL asked most/all in his pack, and like wise my skins have approval. However I do not state this any where on their respective pages nor would I answer any questions regarding such to any one but the companies and their representatives. Frankly it is no one else's business. So saying mods are using logos etc without permission is a huge assumption on your part. While 90% of the time you will probably be correct, what about the other 10%?

Paid mods are a different matter of course. Charging anything for unlicensed use of another's IP is of course illegal.
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
But on my tombstone when I go, just put 'death by rock and roll'.

xXCARL1992Xx

#236 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 01 Aug 2019 18:38

this is basegame content and has nothing to do with the GoodYear DLC at all
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

rookie_one

#238 Post by rookie_one » 02 Aug 2019 04:18

xXCARL1992Xx wrote:
20 Apr 2019 16:39
pays mods are illegal and should all be put down without question, mods as is (none paid ones) are a gray area, they dont harm the copyright/trademark holder because they dont make money with it so nothing is gained but at the same time nothing is lost and the companies don see a big harm in it (yet, exception are always there)
I know I'm responding to an old post, but I want to clarify something.

Paid mods are legal, as long as you either :
Maker original content
Or
Get approval from the rightsholder and trademarks holder.

Best example can be seen is the flightsim community, where you have many small companies(such as carenado or aerosoft) working in collaboration with aircraft manufacturers to bring new aircrafts to x-plane and flight simulator. But again, they get the rightsholders permission before trying to sell those mods, unlike some who shall not be named on this forum

otherguy136

#239 Post by otherguy136 » 28 Dec 2019 00:10

Carthoo wrote:
05 Apr 2019 14:42
At worst case, you can define artificial DLC dependency directly in the mod manifest.
Where in the manifest can I define DLC dependency?
Discord: OtherGuy#4847 https://discord.gg/2wJRVdr

vulchor

#240 Post by vulchor » 30 Dec 2019 00:32

Just add this line to the manifest:

Code: Select all

dlc_dependencies[]: "dlc name here"

Return to “SCS Site”