iOS/iPad browsers and forums

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Bandit & The Snowman

iOS/iPad browsers and forums

#1 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 14 Dec 2019 09:47

Don’t know where else to put this, but this subforum doesn’t seem to be entirely wrong to post in.

In one of the recent updates, Apple added a page preview balloon tip to the context menu of links (open in new tab, share etc.) in Safari, and either they added this to WebKit too or all other browser apps followed Apple quickly because there’s none left that leaves this ‘feature’ out or even lets me disable it. This is extremely annoying because forums count this pre-loaded page as a view and consequently when you switch to the tab you just opened in the background, you get the following page instead (or the top of the page if unread posts don’t spread across pages). I don’t know how to use the context menu any more while still using an i* device. Maybe someone has an idea...

BK Vissers
Global moderator

Re: iOS/iPad browsers and forums

#2 Post by BK Vissers » 14 Dec 2019 12:53

Either I am totally misunderstanding what you mean or I don’t have that issue at all. When I press and hold a link to get the context sensitive menu, I do get a preview, but if I then choose “open in new tab” in Safari I get the page I selected. Can you explain the problem in a different way as I don’t see what is not working right.

xXCARL1992Xx

#3 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 14 Dec 2019 12:59

i think what he means is that the posts in a thread will be marked as read just because the preview popup showed

what i do is, i always open the thread and never go to first new post, when im in the thread then i click on new posts and can read them on my iPhone
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#4 Post by BK Vissers » 14 Dec 2019 13:05

Ah, yes, I just tried that and see that you’re right. This has never been a problem for me because of how I browse, so I never noticed. I can see how it could be annoying for someone who has a different way of looking at things.

If it’s any help, here is what I do and why I never encountered this:

I’ll hit “Unread Posts” and then I have a list. Any ones that interest me I will open in a new tab, systematically opening each one. Yes, I can easily end up with 30 tabs open. Then I go through each tab and read/reply etc. It’s quite methodical and efficient, although if one didn’t do this before it may initially seem like a crazy amount of open tabs. But it really does work, as I never have this problem as described above, and I do this for all forums I visit (I suspect the problem would affect other forums not just this one). I hope that helps.

Bandit & The Snowman

#5 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 14 Dec 2019 15:17

“Any ones that interest me I will open in a new tab”
causes the same problem ;)
Yes it’s that posts get marked by the preview balloon.
My inconvenient approach is to open a link in the same tab and then invoke Your posts again. :evil:

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#6 Post by BK Vissers » 14 Dec 2019 15:56

I realize that if I open the link in a tab it will mark that as “read” but... that’s why I opened it, to read it. So marking it as read doesn’t matter to me at that point. What am I missing?

xXCARL1992Xx

#7 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 14 Dec 2019 16:02

that the OS jumps to the last page and marks everything that is new read even though he didnt read it and now doesnt know where the conversation left of where he last was

this is why i never open the last page to a thread on my phone (or even on PC) i always go into the thread, first page, and then jump to the first new post since i was last there, so i can continue to read
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#8 Post by BK Vissers » 15 Dec 2019 11:58

I think I found a solution. On my iPad if I press on a link, the menu pops up, as well as the preview window next to it. At the top there is a “Hide Preview” button. I clicked that and from that point on, unread posts remain unread unless loaded in a new tab. I tried it multiple time, and it did not mark something as “read” until I reactivated the preview.

Hope that helps.

xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 15 Dec 2019 12:02

i assume you mean this ?

good to know there IS an option to disable them

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#10 Post by BK Vissers » 15 Dec 2019 12:18

Yes, exactly. :)

It looks a bit different on my iPad but the term is the same as your German equivalent: “Hide Preview” = “Vorschau Ausblenden”

Return to “SCS Site”