Subcategories in 'Feature Wishlists and Suggestions'

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.

Should there be subcategories in 'Feature Wishlists and Suggestions'?

Yes
38%
No
54%
Maybe
8%

Total votes: 13

FawnPrince

Subcategories in 'Feature Wishlists and Suggestions'

#1 Post by FawnPrince » 08 Jul 2020 13:29

Hello everyone,

(I'm not sure if I should post this here, sorry if I'm wrong.)

I'm mostly active on the subcategory 'Feature Wishlists and Suggestions' for ETS2. I think there could be a small improvement to help people see the effectiveness of this subcategory and boost the quality of posts (avoid reposts and repetitive content).

Similarly to to other forums, there should be a subcategory in 'Feature Wishlists and Suggestions' classifying which suggestions have been implemented into the game, which have been rejected and which are currently pending / considered or not yet seen by SCS Software or someone in charge.
Last edited by FawnPrince on 08 Jul 2020 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

Some newbie driver

Re: Subcategories in 'Feature Wishlists and Suggestions'

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Jul 2020 13:49

I voted no. This forums had already to many sub-divisions and too many duplications of them. Too many subdivisions result only in more time wasted going from place to place and too many people opening threads in the wrong place.

What the wishlist and suggestions forums needs is that people use the search engine before post anything; because 70% or more of new threads published here are duplications of things too many other times requested. But that's not going to happen, unfortunately we don't live on a marvelous world of fantasy.

Regards

FawnPrince

#3 Post by FawnPrince » 08 Jul 2020 13:58

Usually, in forums, the idea I have described previously is: Everyone posts on the category 'Feature Wishlists and Suggestions'. Then, a moderator usually sorts in the right category which post belong to which subcategory. This might make the forum a little harder to navigate through, but at least, it will send a clear message from what SCS listens to or not. Moreover, better quality, and senseful posts can be filtered and provided more light and attention than post with a couple of words like 'Helo plz ad more trukcs, i want see old truck like kamaz an d merceds'. On the long run, I think it will be beneficial.

Edit: To give you an example of what I meant by improving the quality of posts:
A couple years ago, I had posted a suggestion on another game's forum. I had spent tens of hours in order to make it matter and bring it to the developers. (Developers who were not very community friendly btw). I had a clear goal which was modelled with the subcategory 'Passed to the developers'. having my post in the subcategory was my ultimate goal. So i went on and spent 6 months lobbying for the change, gathering votes, etc... If this subcategory hadn't been there, my post would have been rotting the day it was posted, and my time would have been wasted.
Unfortunately, we don't have that on this forum, and you don't know if your post (which you've spent hours upon hours researching and making) has made any difference whatsoever.

Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Jul 2020 18:26

I understand what you mean, but it has no sense in how this forum works (and how in general terms people behaves in any forum like this).

Moderators here aren't SCS staff, so they cannot (and should not) make any statement about what it is interesting or not for the game development. And that includes to categorize or not user threads in "interesting ones".

Moderators are here just to keep forums order and rules but at the same time trying to don't be to harsh with people that are customers of a company (and believe me, that difficult A LOT their ob). And they are volunteers too, so you can't expect them to have a whole dedication to the forum. Create more sub-forums will give them just more useless work to do and will be of no benefit for us.

Developers already read this section very commonly. If people want to have their ideas more prone to be added to the game what we don't need is more sub-forums or more categories or more gibberish. What we need is, for every different general idea, a single thread with 1.000 messages on it and with a poll with 3.000 votes on it. But this doesn't happen because people doesn't search if their idea has already been requested, they just open a new thread (or write in the mega-list thread).

So, instead of a big relevant thread with 1.000 messages on it, we have tens of threads with very few answers; all of them lost in the forgotten depths of the old pages of threads of the forums, where no dev is going to lose his time searching for them. If we aren't able to unite and organize our efforts; don't expect that devs lose their free time to compensate it. And there's no forum organization or categorization that could solve this (not here, not anywhere else where the exact same user's behavior happens). Do we want something to be included into the game? Them better we start to share and add opinions instead of everyone of us create our own post.

Unfortunately, the basic human behavior goes against this very fact about how we could make really useful this suggestions forum.

Regards

FawnPrince

#5 Post by FawnPrince » 08 Jul 2020 19:14

I think I wasn't entirely clear on what the moderators should do. Indeed, my suggestion would put a little more work for them, but all I wanted was a filtering of post that are extremely repetitive like 'Add dirt on trucks' or 'Add seasons'. These ones are clearly polluting the thread. Moreover, the fenomenon you are describing about people creating posts instead of supporting the ones already existing could be muffled if post considered repetitive were filtered and told to the creator of the post that a similar one already exists. Which would be in a subcategory for popular posts that are still pending or something along the lines.
On top of that, if popular and repetitive suggestions were in a separate thread, some users would see that a similar post already exists and support it instead of just posting a new one because this person doesn't want to bother searching the mess of suggestions.

But I understand your point, my suggestion is not all nice and perfect...

Some newbie driver

#6 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Jul 2020 21:56

But there's no need for more sub-forums to do what you say. There's only need of DELETE the repetitive threads. But that's not going to happen on an official forum of a company. And you can't expect that volunteer moderators took still more tasks to do (specially "bureaucratic" one)

Anyway, no suggestion is perfect, I will not criticize that. I was just giving my opinion (based on too many years in too many forums seeing always the same). For the moment, more people think your idea is good that ones that think is not. It's just I'm the only one who want to argue about it. :lol:

Regards

Madkine

#7 Post by Madkine » 09 Jul 2020 01:19

Those who are too ill-informed/lazy to do a search will be the same ones in your new scenario who don't bother to paste in the sub-forums you've specified.

Return to “SCS Site”