SCS General Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#9861 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 27 Sep 2021 21:22

Some newbie driver wrote: 27 Sep 2021 18:46but having to work 4 times harder.
Working 4 times harder is indeed not the best idea. It's better to work 4 times smarter. And that's not gonna happen anytime soon. But in 10 years a lot can happen. Just think out of the box. What did I say? Out of the box: maybe it's not SCS that gives us a 1:1 trucking simulator; we might get it from an other company.
supersobes
Global moderator

#9862 Post by supersobes » 27 Sep 2021 21:49

The 18 Wheels of Steel games that had the entire US coast to coast, what was the map scale on those?
mackintosh

#9863 Post by mackintosh » 27 Sep 2021 21:59

Wasn't it about the same as original ATS? 1:35 or something like that. It's been so long since I've played those games I honestly have no idea.
Vinnie Terranova

#9864 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 27 Sep 2021 22:13

Here is an old topic about the scale of 18WoS.
Some newbie driver

#9865 Post by Some newbie driver » 27 Sep 2021 22:39

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 27 Sep 2021 21:22Working 4 times harder is indeed not the best idea. It's better to work 4 times smarter.
I was comparing what would had happened (if since the begginming) of what could happen (if in the immediate future) SCS did such a change. So a change in the way how could they work in the past or a drastic change in how they had could work until yesterday was out of consideration. So yes, 4 times harder that doesn't mean 4 times dumber (in opposition of a hypothetical way to do things "smarter" like you suggested).
Vinnie Terranova wrote: 27 Sep 2021 21:22And that's not gonna happen anytime soon. But in 10 years a lot can happen. Just think out of the box. What did I say? Out of the box: maybe it's not SCS that gives us a 1:1 trucking simulator; we might get it from an other company.
We both agree in all those. But I didn't bother about that kind of "out of the box" thoughts because I was talking about what SCS could, can and will be able to do in a foreseeable future. I don't care now what could happen in 10 years (so, more than doubling the total age of the game) or what other companies could do in such amount of time. Enough inaccurate are our guesses about next year future DLC or trucks to even lose time trying to figure something of that kind.

But anyways, I think you overestimate what can be done just due the advance of technology (in that hypothetical 10 years leap). Let's say in 10 years something like the MSFS2020 landscape generation is made but way more detailed to be used at ground level. Then what? Generate a 1:1 world with lots of content is something that has been solved so many years ago; there exist procedural ways to do very awesome results today (any kind of landscape, natural or urban). But all of those lack the same that will lack any application of that but taking IRL data: they are all soulless. Is the details that mappers put here and there the ones we really enjoy on the map, the ones that give life to the whole set. I really doubt a lot no technology 10 years in the future is going to save you that part; and in a 1:1 map is an horrific perspective.

But well, if you want, we settle to meet here to talk about that in 10 years to see who was right. ;) :P

Regards
oldmanclippy

#9866 Post by oldmanclippy » 27 Sep 2021 23:51

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 27 Sep 2021 22:13 Here is an old topic about the scale of 18WoS.
Hmmm...
I think SCS should rethink 1:19 scale.Build ATS with less cities but longer highways which would allow modders to then slowly add in towns over time.Set the framework first is of most importance IMO.
Much as I'd like to see them increase the scale, the chances of that happening now are, I think, remote. There's too much work done or in progress at the current scale. It'll be better when more states are included, you'll get longer trips.
Some things never change :lol:
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
angrybirdseller

#9867 Post by angrybirdseller » 28 Sep 2021 06:17

Want larger 1:20 scale in ATS or 1:19 ETS2 go drive for living get job doing so get paid for it. Automation, wont work at all too many moving parts and there art form to creating assist from starch. The world manually done compared to automated world the automated world would have highways shoot into the sky rivers shooting up mountains. Would be more work than what is done now, as would be having to adjust software code each update. The way scs does it now is pratical and people appreciate sandbox world built by hand over how flight simulators do it. Even flight simulator airports are built by hand as automation gets all wrong with runway numbers and slopes are over or under done. Sure in 10 years they will make DLC at the same with different roads added and other roads taken out at 1:19 scale. Sure, MSFS 2020 player base is smaller than ETS2 as you cannot just hope in 737 and fly it, and even Cessna you need to know speeds of take off, and landing along with cruise speed for optimal flying. SCS should stick to its strengths not dabble in things like autogenerated world which will never work even 30 years from now.
Vinnie Terranova

#9868 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 28 Sep 2021 06:40

30 years ago the world wide web was born... Dont underestimate technology.
wato

#9869 Post by wato » 28 Sep 2021 08:18

Sora wrote: 27 Sep 2021 16:26 It might be an interesting experiment if they decide to work on a third, smaller project (like Australian Truck Simulator), but that's pretty much the only way I can see a bigger scale happening.
A new independent, larger scale DLC does not have to be an untouched area though. It could be Czech in 1:x (or Switzerland ;) ).
AlexxxF1

#9870 Post by AlexxxF1 » 28 Sep 2021 08:31

you can easily see how it will look even today. there is a map mods in 1:1,1:3 scale in internet for ETS2.

concerning Australian Truck Simulator, in my opinion this is a very bad idea. this is left-hand traffic. these are the same few roads. no borders with other countries. it is a smaller size with constantly growing ATS. similar nature to some states of ATS.
if ATS is less popular than ETS2, then Australia Truck Simulator will be even less popular.
Australia Truck Simulator won't live as long as ETS2 ATS.
yes, the first two or three weeks will be interesting. but then it gets bored, bored, and everyone will return to ATS and will never run Australia Truck Simulator again.
it is better not to waste time on meaningless, it is better to spend this time on the creation of Canada or Mexico for ATS, which will sell better and be more popular.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”