SCS General Discussion Thread

gandalf7472000

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#4771 Post by gandalf7472000 » 12 Apr 2021 08:26

Common sense? what is that? :lol:
There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Carl Sagan
xyzan

#4772 Post by xyzan » 12 Apr 2021 08:48

mackintosh wrote: 12 Apr 2021 07:30 All road rules are purely optional and a work of fiction as far as Poland is concerned.
I don't think that there is a rule that prohibits to take left line by truck. There is for sure, that you cannot slow down other traffic, but this partially applies only - if you are ovetaking, and you cannot go faster, it is hard to say that you are blocking by purpose... Hard to proove.
In general in Poland it is rather set of suggestions, than rules ;) Most of the trucks goes as far as speed limiter allows (and some have it set to 100 instead of 90 like it should be in EU). So, trucks overtaking on two lane motorway for 10 minutes is quite common here..
gandalf7472000

#4773 Post by gandalf7472000 » 12 Apr 2021 08:55

The problem everywere is driver mentality. You have someone driving with 70km and when you try to pass him he accelerates "because" and they end up driving side by side because speed lmiter is set at 90km and no one gines in.
There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Carl Sagan
xyzan

#4774 Post by xyzan » 12 Apr 2021 09:05

In Poland, unfortunately, majority does not care about speed limits. There are a lot of people who drives 200km/h on motorways (while we have one of the highest limit of 140km/h). Of course, police is trying to get them, when they are around... There is to little police on motorways...
Same in cities... most of people are driving 70km/h (but there is a bunch of then that drives faster) . And this is not some, this is most. They are only slowing when there is a speeding camera or Police patrol...
gandalf7472000

#4775 Post by gandalf7472000 » 12 Apr 2021 09:14

^same here speed limit is 130 with 10% leniency It means you can go 140-145 no problem speed traps are set for 150 and cups dont bother if you go with that speed. But you will see people driving as fast as there car allows

Carl Sagan
Some newbie driver

#4777 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Apr 2021 11:34

supersobes wrote: 12 Apr 2021 01:06Are those truck lane restrictions in Europe taken very seriously?
I've NEVER seen a truck not respecting that rule. Really, seriously, never. I know one trucker that told me he did it on purpose once because he saw a truck in the 2nd lane having a tire ready to blow up and blocked the pass of cars to avid an accident (The office where I work is at the side of a Highway and we are very used to hear tire blowups and see their consequences sometimes). One thing a lot of people isn't aware, is that rule (use only 2 rightmost lanes) is only applied to heavy vehicles and that, doesn't matter the size, a coach is never considered heavy vehicle. So, coaches are allowed to use 3rd or further lanes, although they can drive at 100km/h max speed.
SiSL wrote: 12 Apr 2021 01:23nobody takes them seriously in cities really :D
In Spain in cities any vehicle (trucks included) should use the lane that leads to his destination with the fewer lane changes possible. So, inside city streets no vehicle, trucks included, are forced to drive on rightmost lanes. The rule Esproquet explained (as the general rule to cruise on rightmost lane available) are applied only outside urban streets (where the speed limit is 50 or lower). I can't talk about other countries regarding those rules or if they are respected or not.

Regards
mackintosh

#4778 Post by mackintosh » 12 Apr 2021 12:09

I've never seen a truck respect a rule in Poland :lol:

The problem stems from lack of enforcement. These very same drivers follow traffic rules to the letter when abroad.
Some newbie driver

#4779 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Apr 2021 12:20

Here we have ever being bombarded with explanations about how central-european drivers (Germany, Austria, Switzerland...) are more strick following the rules and that it's a shame we drive as we want and blablablah.

But then one cross cars from those countries all the time in the roads (is that has to be such a big touristic destination) and there's good drivers as also absolute mo**** that should be forbidden to drive anywhere. At the end what demonstrates is that everywhere there's people that think the road is theirs to do what they want and that beast can only be "tamed" with the club of a policemen. Once they didn't feel the breath of police in their back, they end behaving like a good driver.

AP-7 from Jonquera's border to Barcelona is a place where one can see that everyday. It's a very long stretch of highway that most foreign people does completely, that has no fixed radars and very occasionally mobile police controls. People know it and every day I drive on there I see somebody passing at 200km/h or more. That's why I said earlier that I loved when back in time it has only 2 lanes and all those scup-at-wheel had to crawl at 90km/h from time to time.
mackintosh

#4780 Post by mackintosh » 12 Apr 2021 12:25

If you're ever bored...

https://youtu.be/eRyxUPiqxSg

There's a reason this series has over 600 episodes.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”