SCS General Discussion Thread

harishw8r

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#5511 Post by harishw8r » 08 May 2021 14:13

Precisely, also I’d say ATS’ signage is better, but in ETS2 they have raised the bar with Iberia and it will only get better.

Ever since 2016, quality of map DLCs are getting incredibly better. I’m too much excited for future additions, especially Russia, as I visited the tyre factory at St.Petersburg, I liked the woods and Russia will offer more of such roads.
mackintosh

#5512 Post by mackintosh » 08 May 2021 15:03

The only bar that was raised in Iberia in terms of signage was its visual accuracy. You still cannot navigate Iberia going by signs alone, whereas you can easily get from LA to Denver by just following signage. The difference in functional signage between ETS2 and ATS isn't just a gap, it's a chasm.

Iberian mountains and valleys don't even come close to the way mountainous regions are depicted in Colorado or Idaho, especially when it comes to grade accuracy, foliage density or texturing.
SenseFM

#5513 Post by SenseFM » 08 May 2021 16:11

To be fair, the signage system between Europe and the US cannot really be compared. The US is a single country, and while there are some differences between the signs depending on the state, they are mostly very minor. In Europe, each country has a different system, with different fonts, background colors, sizes... The only thing that is somewhat common between European countries are the Vienna Convention signs and the E-road network, which isn't even used by all countries.

I find that navigation is easier in the US thanks to the inclusion of cardinal directions on the signs, and to the fact that interstates and state routes always have the same code throughout all the states. This doesn't happen in Europe, AFAIK. In Europe, each country usually has its own road codes, and highways are shorter than in the US, so chances are that for the same distance, you'll be changing road names much more frequently in Europe than the US. It's harder to navigate when the signage and the control cities change with every border crossing.

For these reasons, I'm a bit more forgiving for the road signage in ETS2 than ATS, but what shouldn't be different is the signage of rivers and mountain passes. Their signs are usually very simple in most of the countries so I don't understand why they are always included in ATS and rarely in ETS2.

Concerning Iberia, as someone from Spain I agree with @mackintosh that Iberian elevation hasn't been very accurately represented in the DLC. While Iberian mountains are not as impressive as the Rockies, there are important changes in elevation that are not reflected in the DLC. So, while I do find that in general geography is correct (mountains and tunnels are where they should be, and vegetation is pretty spot on), the elevation changes and the size of the mountains leaves a bit to be desired. One of the most glaring examples is the A-23 highway, in real life there is a 1,200 m difference in elevation between Teruel and Sagunt, but that stretch in the game has no appreciable climb.

It also doesn't help that there are very few secondary roads in the DLC and none of them go through mountain passes. Right now there's a huge 400 km gap in the Pyrenees, so I think it would be great if at least one road was added there in the future, such as the E-7 from Pau to Zaragoza. In general what has been in included in the DLC is pretty nice, the signs are accurate and the climatic changes are felt, but the lack of minor roads and a sense of elevation changes are definitely a weakness.
dkasper00

#5514 Post by dkasper00 » 08 May 2021 18:18

Been taking a break from both games as I'm feeling a bit burned out with both ats and ets2. Will most likely start back up once Wyoming launches.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
gaillard

#5515 Post by gaillard » 08 May 2021 19:26

FyssFM wrote: 08 May 2021 16:11 I think it would be great if at least one road was added there in the future, such as the E-7 from Pau to Zaragoza.
Oh yeah! Somport, yet another tunnel, joy!

Just nitpicking.... :mrgreen:
rookie_one

#5516 Post by rookie_one » 08 May 2021 20:58

FyssFM wrote: 08 May 2021 16:11 To be fair, the signage system between Europe and the US cannot really be compared. The US is a single country, and while there are some differences between the signs depending on the state, they are mostly very minor. In Europe, each country has a different system, with different fonts, background colors, sizes... The only thing that is somewhat common between European countries are the Vienna Convention signs and the E-road network, which isn't even used by all countries.
More or less true.

While there is some national standards, there is some differences between the states, and you have to bring in the canadian provinces too in the mix (only province to use something similar to the US Interstate signage and numbering scheme for it's highway ? Quebec. All the others are using a different system
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
SenseFM

#5517 Post by SenseFM » 09 May 2021 09:11

^Interesting to know that Canadian provinces have signage differences too, @rookie_one.
gaillard wrote: 08 May 2021 19:26 Oh yeah! Somport, yet another tunnel, joy!

Just nitpicking.... :mrgreen:
No prob, the good old route that climbs the Somport pass still exists and is open to traffic :P
Some newbie driver

#5518 Post by Some newbie driver » 09 May 2021 11:30

A route that will not be added at all by SCS; you could bet we will have the tunnel if they include that road. But that's a minor point; the route south to Huesca from there is interesting enough to have variety regarding the highways and it opens the possibility to link with Pamplona through N-240 east-west (that would be a completely regular road, the ones that aren't so much in the DLC).
CodArk2

#5519 Post by CodArk2 » 10 May 2021 10:07

rookie_one

#5520 Post by rookie_one » 10 May 2021 10:10

Ok everyone :

HYPE ALERT! HYPE ALERT!

GET READY FOR MAXIMUM HYPE!
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”