SCS General Discussion Thread

Some newbie driver

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#4901 Post by Some newbie driver » 17 Apr 2021 13:01

I know what it is, I did that with my previous profile before RttBS. To have a single achievement there to be completed burnt my eyes. :P

But at the end, is stressful to want to be so methodic covering all the roads and the time spent checking every tinny spot and that some update hasn't bring any change in the other side of the map and all that stuff.

Better just to drive. Eventually we will discover the whole Iberia. Maybe we will forcefully pursuit to go to a few places more strange to get cargoes to; but that's nothing bad as one has not forced himself to discover everything.

Unless you are of the kind that you enjoy that kind of playing. There's the example of pigbrother. He smashed the timer on discovering the whole new DLC till the last bit.

Regards
plykkegaard

#4902 Post by plykkegaard » 17 Apr 2021 13:39

Sometimes I can take a detour to cover new uncharted territorie

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
FrancescoMasci

#4903 Post by FrancescoMasci » 17 Apr 2021 13:39

Thanks @harishw8r. As a matter of fact, I have always been an advocate of the idea of walking outside the truck for refuel and to open the doors. Also signing manually the papers is a ncie feature (all of these can be disabled for those who don't care).
Especially the cargo planning is way better than SCS. I seriously hope this area of the game gets some love too.
pigbrother

#4904 Post by pigbrother » 17 Apr 2021 13:40

I’m not proud of myself but I can’t get outside anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

viewtopic.php?p=1538507#p1538507
I have approximate knowledge of many things
Sora

#4905 Post by Sora » 17 Apr 2021 14:52

As someone who ordinarily prefers ATS, Iberia is probably my favorite ETS2 DLC -- and the last week has easily been the most excited I've been to play ETS2 in years. I can definitely see why someone might not be crazy about it, though. For me:
  • I'm fine with the fact that it's almost entirely freeway because I've never really liked 'minor' roads in ETS2 specifically. I'm largely fine with them in ATS, but for whatever reason they tend to annoy me in ETS2. I don't know the specific reason; maybe it's because ATS's minor roads are clearly labeled as such on the map, maybe it's because of the abrupt low speed limits traveling through villages, or maybe it's just because I'm an American who hates seeing more than one roundabout per trip. Whatever the reason, I've always enjoyed highways more than minor roads in ETS2, and having a DLC that's filled with them feels like a breath of fresh air after the stop-and-go of the previous two DLCs.
  • In general, I find the normal size of an ETS2 map overwhelming compared to ATS's typical expansions (though I'd note that Idaho and Utah still felt a little too small for me). With ATS, I feel like I can get to know pretty much every new road as it's added, whereas with ETS2 the expansions are so large that I rarely ever get to the point of actually remembering them -- and on that note, there are still roads I haven't yet visited in every DLC, which doesn't happen in ATS. So Iberia's size doesn't really put me off any more than usual, and in fact I'd almost say it's so large that it get hurts less from this because it feels like a new game entirely rather than just an expansion.
  • As has been mentioned, Iberia retroactively fixes (at least partially) my biggest issue with Italia. I never really liked the Italia DLC for the very simple reason that going down it always meant going back up, often the same way you came. This was partially alleviated with the island updates, but with the ferries to Spain, it actually feels like there's a valid connection through which I can enter or leave Italy. So in addition to being sizable on its own, Iberia also redeems another fairly large piece of territory for me. I recognize that (to some extent) using the ferries sort of defeats the point of actually playing the game, but sometimes I just need to be somewhere else, you know?
  • Considering how often I've complained about signage in ATS -- and for that matter, considering how many people complained about signage in ATS before it reached its current level of quality, I can definitely sympathize with the people who perceive signage issues to be a problem with the DLC, and hope that things improve for their sake. As someone who is completely foreign to the continent, though, all I can see is that the signage still feels better than most of the rest of ETS2.
If you made me pick out something I specifically did not like, I guess I'd probably agree with the layout of the depots? But that's annoyed me since Italia, so it's not like it's anything new to Iberia. On the whole, though, it's probably where I'm going to do most of my ETS2 driving in the future. Considering the ETS2 map as a whole, Iberia comes closer than anywhere else in terms of capturing the things that otherwise draw me toward ATS, and France/Italy make for much better neighbors than the Going East expansion.

I don't disagree with the notion that the game's cargo system could stand to be improved, though. SCS has definitely put a lot of work into the updates of the last few years -- things like the graphic and sound overhauls, DX11, new trucks and trailers, voice navigation, and so forth... but I feel like the last major mechanic update was trailer ownership in 2018, which is almost three years old and still being gradually 'finished'. I guess you could maybe count detours, but uh I sorta disabled those because neither game actually feels equipped to handle randomly-generated detours; I'd be much more willing to put up with them if they were shown on the map prior to choosing a job like 80% of the time (allowing them to rarely show up as they do now) and you could actually plan your route around them, but you can't so I don't. Oh and I mostly do external contracts where they don't exist anyway.
sachy

#4906 Post by sachy » 17 Apr 2021 16:28

The community reward Lynx is absolutely stunning, just please, can it be somehow rotated to face forward, instead of on the driver?
plykkegaard

#4908 Post by plykkegaard » 17 Apr 2021 18:10

It's allright :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
gandalf7472000

#4909 Post by gandalf7472000 » 17 Apr 2021 19:12

sound's alight especially if you press the mute button :D
There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Carl Sagan
StenioBlackHawnk

#4910 Post by StenioBlackHawnk » 17 Apr 2021 19:59

SCS engines sounds in a nutshell :lol:

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”