SCS General Discussion Thread

plykkegaard

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#9631 Post by plykkegaard » 16 Sep 2021 15:31

IvanKuz wrote: 16 Sep 2021 15:04 If only there existed a big enthusiastic modding community with many skilled modelers
Thousands of reason not to apply and even more reasons to do

Current job offers
https://scssoft.com/jobs#job-offers

Caveat afaik you need to move to Pragh
Not the worst but still

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
IvanKuz

#9632 Post by IvanKuz » 16 Sep 2021 15:52

You'd think that last year should have demonstrated to every IT company that you don't actually need everyone sitting in the same office to get things done... Of course you're going to have trouble finding people if you limit your pool to only people living in (or willing to move to) one city.
plykkegaard

#9633 Post by plykkegaard » 16 Sep 2021 16:41

Dunno, SCS release schedule was delayed do to the work at home schedule, we did fine

Cooperation, social networking etc are also factors
Eg if you know exactly what needs to done on daily basis versus a combined team effort and a more loose approach to the workload

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
IvanKuz

#9634 Post by IvanKuz » 16 Sep 2021 16:54

Well, where I work teleworking has been a thing long before the pandemic, with team members being spread across multiple cities. Personally, I prefer to work from the office, but I'm in the minority, most people are still working from home and the management are okay with it, because their financial reports say that we're still doing fine. Now, maybe things are different for the gaming industry, or maybe things are different for the type of work SCS do specifically, but I can't help but think they are just giving themselves a big disadvantage when they limit their talent pool to only people who can attend their office in person.

Furthermore, this is only only about regular employees. What about contracting freelancers? MandelSoft has been reworking French cities for SCS in his free time. Surely they can find more MandelSofts out there in the modding community for other niche sideprojects?
Graf_Boinenn

#9635 Post by Graf_Boinenn » 16 Sep 2021 17:03

I think there are out there a couple of very good game artists that would love to work for SCS and put their added value to the game. The location requirement is an issue and sesms outdated, specially on the digital artistic world where is so common to hire freelancers or people from another parts of the world.

BUt, maybe, because is to be 100% working for SCS, it is something related to the working laws in Czech Republic
xXCARL1992Xx

#9636 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 16 Sep 2021 17:06

Natvander also works for SCS but is not in Prague, is he, it doesnt has to do with Laws but more with from where they come, Natvander has a family and he cant just pack up and change his living location
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
galimim

#9637 Post by galimim » 16 Sep 2021 17:12

One thing that you also have to keep in mind is the fact that manufacturers might have demands on where their data/model can be accessed from. They might say it can only be viewed in the SCS office. So you are shit out of luck if you are stuck half way around around the world.
ETS2:
Real Tires Mod
Search for Drivetrain Revision mods!
Truck fix doctor
ATS:
Real Tires Mod
Truck fix doctor
mackintosh

#9638 Post by mackintosh » 16 Sep 2021 17:18

I do believe this is the most likely issue at play, rather than anything else.

As for working form home, while it is a hindrance at times, I've found that my team is just as productive as they were working in an office. I have no plans to ask them to return unless the majority wants to. Obviously I don't work in software development, nor do I have to coordinate hundreds of people, but for smaller teams and projects this may be the new normal, and a way forward.
rookie_one

#9639 Post by rookie_one » 16 Sep 2021 17:50

galimim wrote: 16 Sep 2021 17:12 One thing that you also have to keep in mind is the fact that manufacturers might have demands on where their data/model can be accessed from. They might say it can only be viewed in the SCS office. So you are shit out of luck if you are stuck half way around around the world.
I wonder if using remotely a VM that would be situated in SCS office to access that data would count as seeing it from SCS office
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
galimim

#9640 Post by galimim » 16 Sep 2021 17:54

@rookie_one That one is for lawyers to decide :lol: I would say yes, but you are at the mercy of internet gods and those can be a royal pain in the ass and stop working the moment you need it the most.
ETS2:
Real Tires Mod
Truck fix doctor
ATS:
Real Tires Mod
Truck fix doctor

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”