[FORUM POLL] Image Quoting Rules

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.

Should rule [2.13] and/or forum rule [2.13.1] be removed from the forum rules?

Poll ended at 11 Jan 2021 18:26

No
58%
Yes
28%
Only rule [2.13.1]
14%

Total votes: 125

Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: [FORUM POLL] Image Quoting Rules

#51 Post by Mohegan13 » 08 Jan 2021 11:46

bobgrey1997 wrote: 07 Jan 2021 22:51 This is actually not true.
Why would you argue with the person that made the rule. :lol:
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
bobgrey1997

#52 Post by bobgrey1997 » 09 Jan 2021 03:42

I don't mean to argue about the rule, just pointing out that quoting a specific part of the previous post is often necessary.
supersobes
Global moderator

#53 Post by supersobes » 10 Jan 2021 18:01

This is just a reminder that the poll closes tomorrow at 18:26 UTC. You have until then if you wish to submit a vote or provide any feedback on this topic.
Reignman

#54 Post by Reignman » 11 Jan 2021 15:49

What about a compromise? I agree with how it keeps things more organized/less to load etc, but if you're trying to comment about an image or code that's on a different page, it can be useful to quote it. Otherwise people have to go back to the other page or find the original post to see what you might be talking about or about what you're trying to ask.

So maybe moderators should allow such quotes if it's a new page?
supersobes
Global moderator

#55 Post by supersobes » 11 Jan 2021 16:56

That's actually not a bad idea. It's definitely something that could be considered. The only issue I see with that is it make things a bit more complicated than a flat out ban on quoting images. One of the things we're aiming for is to make things as simple as possible and easy to understand. Perhaps the biggest downfall of the current quoting rules is that they aren't very clear for some people, especially those who are using translators. With our refresh of the forum rules, we're hoping to remove or change the complicated bits to make it easy to understand and read. Nonetheless, your suggestion is very good, and I think it is something we will discuss in our internal discussions.
bobgrey1997

#56 Post by bobgrey1997 » 12 Jan 2021 02:23

Reignman wrote: 11 Jan 2021 15:49 What about a compromise? I agree with how it keeps things more organized/less to load etc, but if you're trying to comment about an image or code that's on a different page, it can be useful to quote it. Otherwise people have to go back to the other page or find the original post to see what you might be talking about or about what you're trying to ask.

So maybe moderators should allow such quotes if it's a new page?
Or you can click the image link in the quote, or click that cute little up arrow on the top of the quote (that arrow is a link directly to the post that is being quoted). No need to go searching for anything.

That said, I would be fine with allowing CODE quotes (image quotes should stay prohibited) from a previous page or different thread, but I also wouldn't complain about moderators misinterpreting the post (or simply forgetting the rule changed) and still editing out the quote. I also wouldn't complain if this change is moderated very closely and solely at moderator discretion. Allowing a code block in a quote, but only if on a different page, seems like it could pose a logistical nightmare for the moderators.

Posts merged, don't double post - Rule 2.5

Okay, I'm a tad confused. By my math, the post above with the friendly reminder about the end of this poll was posted at UTC 19:01 on January 10th, saying the poll with close "tomorrow UTC 18:26", which would be January 11th.
My math suggests it is currently UTC 4:50 on January 12th.
Is this poll still going? Will this thread be locked, or remain open for further discussion?

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”