[FORUM POLL] Image Quoting Rules

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.

Should rule [2.13] and/or forum rule [2.13.1] be removed from the forum rules?

Poll ended at 11 Jan 2021 18:26

No
58%
Yes
28%
Only rule [2.13.1]
14%

Total votes: 125

plykkegaard

Re: [FORUM POLL] Image Quoting Rules

#11 Post by plykkegaard » 04 Jan 2021 22:09

Purge specific elements is doable but gets complicated

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Renshaw

#12 Post by Renshaw » 05 Jan 2021 05:07

I voted no. I prefer clean, fast loading forums.
bobgrey1997

#13 Post by bobgrey1997 » 05 Jan 2021 06:18

I've got to ask: why do you guys bother to ask the community if rules should be removed? What's the point in removing these rules? This is, what, the 3rd of these posts?
It always seems to be related to "should we remove X rule because idiots are lazy and this rule runs their day"...
There is literally absolutely zero reason an image, video, or code block should ever be quoted. If the topic of the reply directly relates to it, a simple link to the post in the reply would suffice.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#14 Post by Mohegan13 » 05 Jan 2021 09:28

Well if it was up to me, I'd just disable the ability to quote.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
plykkegaard

#15 Post by plykkegaard » 05 Jan 2021 09:39

Would be a nice option if you have threaded discussions, unfortunately this is not the case, phpbb has a flat structure not threaded

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
supersobes
Global moderator

#16 Post by supersobes » 05 Jan 2021 12:54

@bobgrey1997 We ask these the questions because we want to gauge how necessary certain rules are. It's a good way to see if it actually makes a difference or if it's just something people do because we told them to. We want to make sure that the forum rules benefit the community rather than inhibit discussion.
SimLive

#17 Post by SimLive » 05 Jan 2021 22:26

I do not agree, Rules exist and means that keep the forum clean!

that`s why i voted No!
RoadNett Developer
flight50

#18 Post by flight50 » 06 Jan 2021 01:43

Virgo91 wrote: 04 Jan 2021 19:22 To be honest,because of the advantages you've mentionned(faster loading page,etc...),and the fact it's easy(at least to me)to remove the image tags : i'm thinking keep the rule.
Ditto. I am all for loading faster. I assume this all came about to lessen the time moderators have to go into people's post to remove all this info. So either less time for moderators or cluttered threads. I know I post a lot of pics and it doesn't make sense to see the same images 40 times in one thread. There are other rules that makes more sense to remove than this one though. Some rules are very costly and goes against your record as a member here. They add up.
supersobes
Global moderator

#19 Post by supersobes » 06 Jan 2021 02:26

@flight50 It's not really a time thing. It only takes a few seconds to edit out a quote violation or merge a double post. I don't think any of us were bothered by the time it takes at all. It was more of a question as to whether or not the community members wanted the rule. There was an increase in both violations of the quoting rules and complaints about the quoting rules in past year, which was sending us the message people didn't really like these particular rules. The problem with that is, only the opinions of those who dislike the rules were being heard. If you have nothing to complain about, chances are that you're not going to say anything. I don't think I've ever read a message that says something like, "I'm very happy to see that you guys have rules about quote usage. It really makes the forum a lot neater." But it's not uncommon to read things like, "Ah, right. I have to remove my quotes before the stupid moderators starting editing my posts for no reason again." or something like "This forum is so toxic! The moderators really have nothing better to do than to worry about quotes?" After you read that so many times over and over again, it gets to the point where you do question if it's really necessary. The moderating team has always felt that these rules are necessary because it helps keep things orderly and neat. Despite the fact that most people think we're only here to get people in trouble when they do something wrong, our primary job is actually to make sure that everything is organized and clean. We spend much more time managing threads and posts than we do issuing warnings and bans to users. We wanted to make sure that the community also felt that the quoting rules were necessary to keep things tidy. If I'm honest, after the number of complaints and violations that have been dealt with over the past few months, I'm genuinely surprised with how the results of the poll have been going.

Also, I see that you mention that you feel there are other rules that we should consider removing. We're open to reading your suggestions as we would like more things to discuss internally about how we can make things better for everyone. If you don't want to discuss that here, feel free to shoot me a private message with your thoughts. I'll be happy to read over it and discuss it with the other moderators.
flight50

#20 Post by flight50 » 06 Jan 2021 05:02

Nah, I'll pass. I've been in enough trouble around here so its best I keep my thoughts to myself.

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”