[FORUM POLL] Image Quoting Rules

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.

Should rule [2.13] and/or forum rule [2.13.1] be removed from the forum rules?

Poll ended at 11 Jan 2021 18:26

No
58%
Yes
28%
Only rule [2.13.1]
14%

Total votes: 125

howey

Re: [FORUM POLL] Image Quoting Rules

#21 Post by howey » 06 Jan 2021 06:00

To all the moderators on the forum

After looking at this forum if you's have been talking and are curious in making changes to the forum structure to see if these changes will have any benefit or effect on how the forum is operational in general why not have a brief trail period to see how the community on here reacts. When thinking of trialing a change just give the community notice about it prior in the best method possible, trail it for a week so it is enough suitable time for at least most members on here to experience and perhaps give the feedback your looking for and if the results are more positive or negative then you'll should have enough information or feedback on to decide how you want to go about it.

Though we all know there are going to be people that are always going to complain about any change on here i think at least this way you'll be able to achieve two things at once, that's just my take on it.

Personally after looking at the question either way doesn't bother me.
Some newbie driver

#22 Post by Some newbie driver » 06 Jan 2021 08:48

supersobes wrote: 06 Jan 2021 02:26"Ah, right. I have to remove my quotes before the stupid moderators starting editing my posts for no reason again."
Key point in the word "again"; probably you didn't wrote it on purpose but fact is that an any forum there will be always a group of people continuously complaining about some rule they continuously break. That doesn't make them right or that rules should change; that doesn't mean they are only a noisy little minority.

The same little minority that, when there's the rare opportunity to advocate for change those rules they despise, then they say nothing. IMHO, because most of them have no argues beyond they don't like to follow rules.

Regards
plykkegaard

#23 Post by plykkegaard » 06 Jan 2021 09:10

Nothing wrong in validating the rules from time to time it is in our best interest:
What does the users really want and like

After all the moderators are acting on behalf of the users to keep the forum nice and tidy

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#24 Post by Some newbie driver » 06 Jan 2021 09:32

Of course, nothing wrong on that. What I said is because supersobes found surprising the results of the poll.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#25 Post by Mohegan13 » 06 Jan 2021 12:15

flight50 wrote: 06 Jan 2021 01:43 There are other rules that makes more sense to remove than this one though. Some rules are very costly and goes against your record as a member here. They add up.
The fact this rule set is being discussed should be a subtle hint we are looking at the rules and what could be changed. So now would be the best time to include input on rules to add, remove, tweak, or otherwise ease up on. So now would be a really really good time for anyone wanting to give input and suggestions to do so, either in this topic or via PM to anyone with a green name on this Team List.

howey wrote: 06 Jan 2021 06:00why not have a brief trail period to see how the community on here reacts.
Because that will likely cause more issues with the people who continually abuse smaller rules. The ones who break it most will see it as justification, but probably not noticed if the rule is replaced then complain 3 weeks later when they start getting edits, warnings, or the ban hammer (which we honestly don't like doing).

It was considered during internal discussions, as was the pros and cons of removing it/keeping it. But since the moderation team is small, it can be hard to come to a definitive consensus on some cases. So the suggestion of giving the wider audience the choice was made. In all honesty the result so far is not a surprise, the last time the moderation team put up a poll about rules it was heavily in favour of keeping it too.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
harishw8r

#26 Post by harishw8r » 06 Jan 2021 13:26

Voted no. The less clutter, the better.

But how about using the spoiler feature for quoted images? Does this too take time to load?
Some newbie driver

#27 Post by Some newbie driver » 06 Jan 2021 13:59

Yes @harishw8r either in spoiler or in a quote the image will exist twice in the loaded page of the forum, regardless you could immediately see it or not. What I don't know is if to disable people firms just hide them or effectively doesn't load them (I would guess it's the second, but I'm not 100% sure). But whatever, it's one of the best ways to improve forum's looks and ease of read.

If for rules about quotes, the one that always bothered me (but well, I had to get used to it) is the one to strictly no quote previous message. I understand that in most cases it's absolutely unnecessary; but when answering a long message to quote specific small sentences is very helpful for the conversation even if it's just the previous message. Sometimes I've seen quotes of that kind to be strictly moderated and some other times to remain; but don't know if because greenies didn't see them or because they prefered to be flexible. If it would be the second case, then I would prefer that flexibility to be stated on the rules.

Regards
supersobes
Global moderator

#28 Post by supersobes » 06 Jan 2021 13:59

flight50 wrote: 06 Jan 2021 05:02 Nah, I'll pass. I've been in enough trouble around here so its best I keep my thoughts to myself.
I'm going to make an analogy here. Imagine someone goes to TXDOT and tells them there's a problem on Interstate 10, but they don't provide any more details than that. Interstate 10 is 880 miles long with two lanes in each direction. TXDOT is obligated to find the problem and solution because that's their job, so now they have to stop everything they were doing to inspect over 3,500 lane miles of road, and they don't even know what they're looking for. By informing us that there's a problem with one of the forum rules but not telling use what the problem is, that's kind of the same thing. Nobody is going to get in trouble for helping us out with this. In fact, we would be very grateful for any input we can receive.
plykkegaard

#29 Post by plykkegaard » 06 Jan 2021 14:42

Sorry, but I believe it is justified and quite understandable in this case

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
gaillard

#30 Post by gaillard » 06 Jan 2021 15:47

Mohegan13 wrote: 06 Jan 2021 12:15 So now would be a really really good time for anyone wanting to give input and suggestions to do so, either in this topic or via PM to anyone with a green name ...
I would suggest looking for an alternative way instead of only using subtle shades of colors, to distinguish people with a specific position on the forum.
A not-so-tiny number of people have color vision impairement and really, trying to cope with various shades of green, purple and other reddish-brown-orange to know if someone is from SCS, a moderator, an admin or a alien spy is tiring at the end of the day (literally).
Applies to the TruckSim maps too :D :D

Sorry, that's been one of my two pet peeves for the last N decades... Thanks for your attention.

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”