Forum down message

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Vinnie Terranova

Forum down message

#1 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 08 Jun 2021 11:54

A few days ago the SCS forum was down. Although I could read posts, I could not create a new post. And sometimes that can be quite frustrating. Ofcourse I know that occasionally a forum can be down for a while. Sometimes because maintenance or upgrade of the forum is necessary. And sometimes the forum is down due to a technical error. I mean, the world is not perfect.

But it can be quite annoying if the forum is down, without me knowing that. In this case I read a post, and decided to comment on that post by creating a new post. So I wrote quite some text and then I clicked the 'Submit'-button. And then nothing happens... Because the forum was down.
Luckily for me I had copied the text right before I clicked the 'Submit'-button, so I could save it in a notepad file for later. But it would be nice if I had read a message about the forum being down, before writing a new post. And what if I had not copied the text and saved in a notepad file...? Al my writings would have been for nothing...

So, therefore it would be nice for us to see a message if we visit the forum, while it's down. Something like: "Unfortunately there is a problem with the forums. You therefore cannot post. We are working on a fix. Please be patient."

P.S. I've wrote something similar in one of the comments of the Texas - Landmarks and Prefab blog, because at that time the forum was down. But I thought, let me also make a similar post about this in the SCS forum in the official section.
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Forum down message

#2 Post by Madkine » 08 Jun 2021 12:13

For a message to be posted advising there is an issue, the forum has to be working, which it quite obviously was not.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Vinnie Terranova

#3 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 08 Jun 2021 12:31

I know. But I was not thinking of a normal post, but more something like a popup message, or showing an image with text on it. I don't know what the technical possibilities of phpBB are regarding the forum partially being down.
plykkegaard

#4 Post by plykkegaard » 08 Jun 2021 12:35

It can be solved if you want
But an admin need to know the forum is down
This the first step

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Madkine
Global moderator

#5 Post by Madkine » 08 Jun 2021 12:39

And once they know it's down it's generally back up quite quickly.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”