Map Expansion Strategy Differs Between ATS and ETS2: Why?

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Optional Features

Map Expansion Strategy Differs Between ATS and ETS2: Why?

#1 Post by Optional Features » 19 Jul 2021 00:14

Am I the only one that has noticed the difference in map expansion strategy between ATS and ETS2?

Look at Iberia for example. According to Google, it's 225,196 square miles, and the SCS version was released for $17.99.

[ external image ]

By comparison, the states of North and South Dakota and Nebraska are 225,367 square miles and if we add Kansas and Oklahoma, we're at 377,543 square miles or 1.67x the size of Iberia. Cost wise a Midwest DLC like the map below on ratio alone would be about $30, compared with probably $50 or $60 for the states individually, spread out over the course of years.

[ external image ]

So the question is why? Iberia from what I know is a fairly complicated peninsula, and although I haven't driven it in ETS2 yet, from what I have seen, it was very detailed. And yet it was released in one chunk. The Midwest, again from my understanding, is a fairly featureless landscape with a lot of similarity in geography. I mean if one of you can identify where these pics are located, be my guest!

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

So why are entire chunks of the European continent released at once, while America is released a tiny bit at a time? Are US maps far more detailed or complicated? Just a curiosity of mine, nothing more. Thanks for reading.
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Map Expansion Strategy Differs Between ATS and ETS2: Why?

#2 Post by supersobes » 19 Jul 2021 02:22

seriousmods wrote: 19 Jul 2021 00:14 I mean if one of you can identify where these pics are located, be my guest!
The first picture is Interstate 70 westbound, just about 5 miles west of Russell, Kansas.

Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8632513 ... 312!8i6656

[ external image ]

The second one is Interstate 35 southbound at mile marker 61 in Oklahoma.

Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5809795 ... 384!8i8192

[ external image ]
angrybirdseller

#3 Post by angrybirdseller » 19 Jul 2021 04:02

Think SCS took different approach with ATS as it easier to manage quality with smaller chunks of land to build on and adding more detail with small areas will pay off in the long run. There world of difference in terms of mindset to build in ATS vs ETS2 map as flexibility is bigger necessity in ATS. There are differences between like countries or even within the state like Colorado.

Midwest is pretty diverse in scenery not all flat lifeless green. In Europe you build bridges over large areas of water this does not always happen in North America you will see large bodies of water on both sides of the road. Roads bisecting lakes is common in US and Canada it flood only for two weeks and the $1-5 million to clean it up in the spring is cheaper than $50 to $100 wont necessarily hold up from flooding and thaw and freezing of the ground each year.
Optional Features

#4 Post by Optional Features » 19 Jul 2021 04:52

Quote removed - Don't quote images/code boxes - Rule 2.3

Ok, I am impressed lol.
Last edited by Madkine on 19 Jul 2021 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed - Rule 2.3
Optional Features

#5 Post by Optional Features » 19 Jul 2021 05:12

@angrybirdseller Yeah, good point: it just feels like some of these states may never be completed. At a rate of two per year, we'll still in the Midwest in like 2026 or maybe 2028. By then will ATS still be relevant or will they have moved to a new game?
bobgrey1997

#6 Post by bobgrey1997 » 19 Jul 2021 05:49

SCS is a European company. For them to go research Iberia, they take a short road trip. I drove a longer distance than that today, and again yesterday, and the day before, etc. It's nothing for them to pack up some equipment, grab some snacks and fuel, and head out to Spain for some research.
To research the US, they have to try to manage an intercontinental trip, with their equipment, into a completely foreign land that they don't know how to navigate (our road laws and standards are vastly different from anything you will see anywhere in Europe). As such, most of the details they would get in-person for ETS2 are found online (and from those of us in this community who live in the US) for ATS. This means the research phase takes much longer for ATS than it does for ETS2. Before the Rescale, we had all sorts of European-styled assets in ATS (and some still linger), simply because they have to fill in the blanks with what they know from Europe. You name it: roadside rest areas, "leaving city" signs, highway layouts in cities, shopping center designs, parking lots, etc. Los Angeles in ATS is the perfect example. The freeway runs around the edge of town, the roads are lined with storefronts directly on the sidewalks, there are "truck stops" with direct access to the freeway, and I think there are still a few signs that state "Leaving Los Angeles".
In reality in LA (as is most cities), the freeway runs stra8ght through town, sopping centers have parking lots between them and the road, truck stops huddle around a surface road that crosses over or under the freeway (you have to get off the freeway to get to them, except for turnpikes, where "service areas"; not actually a proper truck stop, are directly onn the freeway), and cities have a "city limit" or "entering" sign, but not a "leaving" sign (with a few exceptions).
SCS aims for authentic styles, but is working with little to no personal experience with American style. It takes a long time to dig for, and validate information when you can't experience it yourself.
supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 19 Jul 2021 15:10

The fact that I was able to find the locations fairly easily shows that these Midwestern and Great Plains states that are often said to be all the same are actually quite distinct. The first one, I knew instantly it was Kansas, and I only spent about 5 minutes looking for it. The second one was a bit harder, but I knew it was either Texas or Oklahoma, and it took me about 25 minutes to find the exact location. To me, this shows that the subtle differences in the scenery and road infrastructure of these states is enough to differentiate them from other states, even with vague Google Maps screenshots taken in the middle of nowhere. And this is one of the reasons why I'm glad that SCS is doing the ATS map one state at a time and taking their time to make sure the map properly reflects the distinct differences in each state. I fear that if they try to make a DLC too big with multiple states in it, the uniqueness of each state might not get captured as well.
Madkine
Global moderator

#8 Post by Madkine » 19 Jul 2021 21:10

Also as we move further east we do expect SCS to start bundling states as they get smaller.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Some newbie driver

#9 Post by Some newbie driver » 19 Jul 2021 21:41

And what this will happen, density of the road map IRL will skyrocket too. That will force SCS to cut a lot more relevant content than ATS players are used to. Now the complains are because it seems there will be not a scenic road through a national park in the next DLC. For future DLC the things people will miss will be way more relevant from the point of view of a trucking game.
Sora

#10 Post by Sora » 25 Jul 2021 16:12

There's also the simple economic possibility: ATS has a smaller audience, so expansions need to be comparatively more expensive for the game to make money on a similar level, which smaller maps can disguise. Smaller DLC also means more frequent DLC, which means they can advertise the game comparatively more often.

That said, I do personally feel like ATS hits a higher level of quality. It's hard to say whether that's because of better mappers or better scenery, or maybe just because of a more recent baseline, but as someone who leans heavily toward ATS I haven't generally felt screwed.

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”