Crash when taking on quick job in vr

plykkegaard

Re: Crash when taking on quick job in vr

#11 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Jul 2021 07:09

Yeah as a bug report a reproduction on a clean profile profile is highly relevant
With old and unused mods in the folder I need to edit the game log to get a decent overview it is so much easier if unused are moved to a backup folder

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Dachbodenfund

#12 Post by Dachbodenfund » 20 Jul 2021 09:14

Point(s) taken. As already stated, I'll provide some clean logs as suggested, but that will need to wait until this evening. Sadly, my side job as virtual trucker doesn't generate any real money, so i still have to keep up a day job... :ugeek:
plykkegaard

#13 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Jul 2021 09:19

No worries :)

In ETS2 I am a billionaire, this did not have any impact on my RL - still waiting :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Dachbodenfund

#14 Post by Dachbodenfund » 20 Jul 2021 16:13

Alright, new approach: Deleted all mods from the mod folder, created a new profile, finished my first job, quit the game and deleted game.log.txt and game.crash.txt.
Reentered ATS (in VR), selected a random quick job, and after the loading progress bar went to the end, the game crashed. I have a hunch that spawning the player to a new location might do the harm here.
Attached logs should now be as clean as it gets.
Attachments
game.log.txt
(49.86 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
game.crash.txt
(25.9 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
plykkegaard

#15 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Jul 2021 17:13

Check you startup parameters
Wrong values can cause unpredicted results

-mm_pool_size 12000
-mm_max_resource_size 200
-mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 2000

Read through this thread
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=261451&hilit=mm_ma ... e+high+end

silvikr

#16 Post by silvikr » 20 Jul 2021 18:06

I've got same issue.
Komfr wrote this on ATS steam forums:
"This is some issue with the route advisor hidding. You can temporarily work around the service crash by ensuring that the advisor is visible when entering the service."
Tested, 100% accurate. Works like a charm.
Just keep that damn advisor active before entering truck services. Close it after.
Dachbodenfund

#17 Post by Dachbodenfund » 20 Jul 2021 18:10

plykkegaard wrote: 20 Jul 2021 17:13 Check you startup parameters
Well, these are the exact values I used for months now. I took those from another thread, which may well be the one you referred to, but I don't remember exactly. They worked well for me, things got a little smoother. Plus, I had no problems with 1.40 so far, and apart from the single situation of the relocation crash in VR I can run 1.41 without problems.

Btw, I didn't expect the community to reach out and help me about the problem, I can live with the workaround that I found and described earlier. But thanks for your efforts. All I tried to achieve is to alert the SCS devs about a possible error in 1.41, helping them, actually. I was under the impression that this forum is the place to dump error reports like this... is there a place more appropriate for that?
bobgrey1997

#18 Post by bobgrey1997 » 20 Jul 2021 18:16

The only time you can help them is if the errors you are reporting occured on a profile that has never had mods, on a clean install of the game (or at least verifying the game files in Steam), and are running with default settings.
Anyrhing else could be attributed to the changes you made, so it does the devs absolutely no good. They made the game, it's files, and it's settings specifically as they are for a reason, so they only provide support for issues occurring in that state. It's not their job to work around your endless list of old mods, your custom settings, etc. You may occasionally find other players who can help you with these, but those reports belong in the Help Center section.
Just because "this worked for months" doesn't mean it will always work, and it's not SCS's fault if an update breaks it, because they are not responsible for your mods, custom settings, or whatever else you decide to change.
Dachbodenfund

#19 Post by Dachbodenfund » 20 Jul 2021 19:06

Ah, wait, you want me to get rid of those start parameters? As I understood plykkegaard he wanted me to use these exact values, which I had used anyway... ???
Well, okay, here you go. I just tried again without any parameters except -openvr (which I cannot remove, because that's the whole point). And yes, I verified the files successfully. Attached logs are from that run, which ended in the same way as the others.
Attachments
game.log.txt
(49.84 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
game.crash.txt
(25.9 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
bobgrey1997

#20 Post by bobgrey1997 » 20 Jul 2021 19:21

My point there was that if you want SCS to do something about it, it needs to occur in the game as they made it.
As far as I know, ATS does not officially support VR, it is simply an experimental version a single employee works on during his free time because he gets bored. As such, this is a technical problem that other players might be able to help you with. There is a Technical Problems sections, as well as a Player-to-Player Help Section.

As for the issue currently, if your settings didn't work, and removing them didn't work, maybe the next step would be to change them? Those settings, as far as I understand them, essentially allow the game to use more of your system or hardware to process things. Try increasing the numbers higher than what you had them at.
Unfortunately, I don't have a VR headset (I wish I did), so I can't do much to test on ky end.
That said, I know many players here do use VR, and I've never seen a report like this, so that leads me to believe this on your end, not necessarily the game's.
The most likely causes I can think of:
Mods (removed, so this doesn't seem to be it)
Settings (removed, so unknown)
VR device drivers (try updating or reinstalling)
Corrupt game files (verified, so unlikely; maybe try doing a fresh reinstall of the game to check if any straglers survived the verification)
Corrupt system files (run a file scan or reinstall system; last resort solution)

Of course, it could be possible to be something else, but in my experience of all sorts of bizarre game issues, one or more of these seem to be the cause every time.

Return to “Bugs 1.41”