Convoy time desync [168999]

sirvito

Convoy time desync [168999]

#1 Post by sirvito » 28 Sep 2021 20:40

Hey,

Whenever I do a convoy with my friend we experience a time desync - I'm one hour ahead of him. Some facts:
  • It's always reproducible on our end (haven't tested it with other people yet though)
  • doesn't depend on who hosts the convoy
  • we've never used mods in our games
  • you may notice ETCARS plugin in my game.log.txt but this is irrevelant - this bug had been present before I installed it
game.log.txt is mine, game.log2.txt belongs to my friend. It comes from our recent convoy where I hosted the game first, then my friend tried to host to see if the issue would persist (it does)

We both run windows 10 64-bit, and ATS latest version - ver.1.41.1.86s (rev. e24f1f8e86d1)

Let me know if it's a known issue. If not, I'll be more than happy to debug this issue more because it's quite frustrating.
Attachments
game.log2.txt
(58.07 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
game.log.txt
(74.85 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Convoy time desync

#2 Post by Madkine » 28 Sep 2021 21:34

Under options and Gameplay in the portion titles game settings, check what your respective settings are for 'Timezones'. If one of you has it disabled and the other doesn't, that could cause this.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Max
SCS Software

Re: Convoy time desync

#3 Post by Max » 30 Sep 2021 06:50

they have different time zone logic indeed. it is cvar "g_time_zone" seen in both logs.
first log has flat earth, same time everywhere.
second log has active timezones (with full output).

question is: should we force server timezone setting to klients?
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
sirvito

Re: Convoy time desync [168999]

#4 Post by sirvito » 17 Oct 2021 21:58

Update: we gave it a try and it turned out to be the cause of the problem - time is now properly synchronized with either disabled or full-info timezones, assuming we have the same setting. (Actually, it starts out desynced by a few minutes but it looks like clients catch up to the server time so it's not much of an issue now).

IMO this should be forced to clients as it seems that there's more logic behind timezones. At first, I thought it's merely used to change how time is displayed. In the end, any kind of desync makes an impression that the game is buggy as we expect to experience the same thing on our ends.

Return to “Bugs 1.41”