Differing Refresh Rates Cause Desync

Slider_556

Differing Refresh Rates Cause Desync

#1 Post by Slider_556 » 19 Oct 2021 16:52

A lot of things in the game are tied to the frame rate. If going above 60fps, the truck will accelerate really fast, AI traffic moves faster, animations play faster, etc. I'm on a 144hz display, but I set my refresh rate in-game to 60hz, so that it caps my FPS to 60, and the game world behaves normally. There's been a long standing bug where if I alt+tab out of the game, it will undo the 60hz, and revert back to my native 144hz. Though it will still show in the options that I'm set to 60hz. So I have to make a change, and reapply my graphic settings for them to refresh. This is how I discovered the issue with Convoy having desync if host/remote players have different refresh rates.

If the host game is set to 60hz, and a remote player is set to 144hz, the game world becomes desynced. AI traffic and remote player vehicles start rubber banding and phasing in and out, etc. If both the host and the remote players set their refresh rates back to the same rate, everything syncs back up immediately.

This is easily repeatable just by having both the host and connected players having differing refresh rates. I honestly don't think this will be a solvable issue, as it's probably deeply rooted in the games engine/architecture. But SCS should probably note this to players in the 1.42 release announcement.

(This issue is present in all beta versions of 1.42 and stable versions of 1.41)
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Differing Refresh Rates Cause Desync

#2 Post by Madkine » 19 Oct 2021 20:05

Please follow the bug reporting process.

Game logs are important.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Return to “Bugs 1.42”