Cruise control won't come on if Engine Brake is turned on. [NOT A BUG]

Eewec

Cruise control won't come on if Engine Brake is turned on. [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by Eewec » 21 Oct 2021 20:39

Version 1.42.1.0 (64-bit)
Operating System: Windows 10 64 Bit
Reproducibility of the bug; Always

Cruise control won't come on if Engine Brake is turned on.

Before, if you had Engine Brake turned on and you wanted to use Cruise control, it would just ignore that Engine brake was on. Now Cruise Control won't activate unless you turn Engine Brake off first. I spent the better part of 30 minutes thinking my keybinds had been messed up.

OK did a bit more work on this.

"Engine Brake" is only on when pressed so is for physical switches (like my new gearstick knob adapter)
"Engine Brake Toggle" is for a normal keyboard keybind or other button press.

"Engine Brake Toggle" lets you use the "Cruise Control" function even while turned on which is my preferred system. I can set "Engine Brake Toggle" to on and forget about it. When I take my foot of the accelerator the engine brake cuts in unless "Cruise Control" has been set to on, where it just sits at the set speed.

"Engine Brake" keybind being turned on seems to prevent "Cruise Control" of any kind from being turned on which I personally find frankly irritating.

I could effectively work round this by double binding "Cruise Control Toggle" to both "flick on" and "flick off" on the gearstick knob through JoyToKey, but is there any way of having a "Game play" setting that can be used to make them exclusive or not and then standardising how these keybinds work?
Last edited by Eewec on 21 Oct 2021 21:05, edited 2 times in total.
Space_Night

Re: Cruise control won't come on if Engine Brake is turned on.

#2 Post by Space_Night » 21 Oct 2021 20:52

this is normal, the FM I drive at work if i engage the exhaust brake the CC kicks out
Eewec

#3 Post by Eewec » 21 Oct 2021 21:23

Hmm, except this is how I've always been able to use Engine brake Toggle and Cruise Control. https://medal.tv/clips/68788906/d1337Pv ... gxMjUwODQs.

"Engine Brake" and "Engine Brake Toggle" allow for different things. If that could be put in a game play option and have the keybinds be simply "for button" and "for switch" that would solve the issue.
Space_Night

#4 Post by Space_Night » 21 Oct 2021 22:05

i have just run from Stockholm to Kappelskar,
using the retarder kicks out the CC
using the single press exhaust brake kicks out the cc

using the toggle exhaust brake - CC remains active
this was how it was in 1.41 and remains in 1.42. check your key binds. (plus it may be truck specific)
Eewec

#5 Post by Eewec » 22 Oct 2021 00:11

Just find it odd that one version of Engine brake keybind ignores CC and the other is mutually exclusive. Only found out there's a difference due to having my gear knob splitter/range arrive today and setting that up for "Engine Brake" where before, as it was on a button on my button box I was using "Engine Brake Toggle". Other than the direct difference of one being for a button and the other a switch I don't understand why they treat Cruise control (and why it treats the two different Engine Brake keybinds) differently. As I've said, it feels like that (the difference) should be an option on the "Game Play" menu.

Eh, either way, I've used joytokey to program round it so now I've got the functionality I want on my Jake Brake switch on my gearbox knob.
Frayner

#6 Post by Frayner » 22 Oct 2021 02:20

Because begin brake toggle only has the engine break come on when your not on throttle or have cruise control engaged. And if you don’t have a transmission with a retarder, you can toggle on engine break and smart cruise will use the engine break to slow you down when you start to over speed.

Engine brake on the other hand just immediately gives you the engine break when you press the button.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond
Eewec

Re: Cruise control won't come on if Engine Brake is turned on. [NOT A BUG]

#7 Post by Eewec » 22 Oct 2021 17:54

Now I'm a little (lot) confused and will need to check what was happening yesterday. Pretty sure hitting Engine Brake with the accelerator depressed didn't immediately have me braking, but then I was utterly confused at why "Engine Brake" wasn't behaving as I was expecting it too and may have missed that what you describe was also happening.

Far too used to how "Engine Brake Toggle" behaves and finally getting a hardware update with my Range/Splitter switches for my gearstick I wasn't expecting such different functionality from what I thought was simply a change from;

Engine Brake Toggle; Press once to turn on, Press again to turn off.

to

Engine Brake; Flick switch from off to on to turn on, flick switch the other way to turn off.

When apparently it *also* has impact on Cruise Control and Retarder depending on which you use.... that to me seems... broken. I find it odd in the extreme that this extended implication of which you use isn't a simple option on the Game Play options screen, but then I've said that in every post in this thread.
xXCARL1992Xx

#8 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 22 Oct 2021 17:56

engine brake toggle means you have to keep pressing the key to activate it, if you unbind the key and use keys for engine brake increase/decrease then it behaves like the retarder where you can choose the stage of intensity
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Space_Night

#9 Post by Space_Night » 22 Oct 2021 18:15

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 22 Oct 2021 17:56 engine brake toggle means you have to keep pressing the key to activate it, if you unbind the key and use keys for engine brake increase/decrease then it behaves like the retarder where you can choose the stage of intensity
toggle is the one where it works like a bathroom light switch, i use toggle on my wheel and simple press on the keyboard. Toggle activated, the exhaust brake works when throttle is released until i press accellerator again. Toggle deactivated and the switch used, it comes and goes "on demand"
Madkine
Global moderator

#10 Post by Madkine » 22 Oct 2021 19:45

It's time to take any further discussion on this to the gameplay forum.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Return to “Bugs 1.42”