2022 Cascadia Corner Aero Deflectors- Incorrect Skin Application [MOD]

SuchManor

Re: 2022 Cascadia Corner Aero Deflectors- Incorrect Skin Application

#11 Post by SuchManor » 07 Dec 2021 18:16

jarryed wrote: 07 Dec 2021 17:51 All you need to do is create a new template with the additional parts. SCS is not going to help with that. Community created content is specifically that.

Remember that the new accessory parts will need to be linked in the appropriate .sii file.
Its not about what I need to do. The point of this post was to help the skin creators that spent time making skins who no longer do. i.e. old skins that were created long ago with no hope of being updated.

Now that this post has been marked as a mod (which it is, but that hasn't stopped SCS from helping before), that is out the window and there is no hope for those skins that wont be updated, which is unfortunate because some of those skins had a lot of work put in to them. This personally does not affect me because I know how to skin, myself. But what about the hundreds of people that use those skins that don't know how to? That is who I was trying to help, to no avail. Which then led to me being personally attacked (ahem, Carl) for whatever reason.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
bobgrey1997

Re: 2022 Cascadia Corner Aero Deflectors- Incorrect Skin Application [MOD]

#12 Post by bobgrey1997 » 07 Dec 2021 18:55

This is just back and forth at this point...
The point of this thread seems to be that SCS should take the initiative to prevent such small changes from killing off the majority of the existing modding community for a given aspect of the gake every update.
Think about it, most mods you use have to be updated EVERY TIME the game updates because that one line in that one file got changed, and now the mod doesn't work properly (or worse, crashes and corrupts your save file).
Most games that update like this (which is many popular online type games) simply don't have a modding community because the work of maintaining all those mods is simply unreasonable, especially when someone bas potentially dozens of mods they've released over the years.
In this case with skins, it is also a simple fix for either the modder or SCS: add a single file. However, most people who make and release skins have dozens, of not hundreds of skins.
Which would be more logical: SCS prevent these issues in the first place for a more mod-friendly environment, or for every skin modder to go through their many dozens or hundreds of skins one at a time to add a single file to each and every single one of them before then having to deal with the Workshop tool or hosting sites to upload their new mods, again one-at-a-time, to update all of them?
For a company that seems to be so community- and mod-friendly, they don't act like it, as almost every update changes so many tiny little things without regard to how many mods that will kill.
I understand that updates are crucial to progression of a project like these games, but they should still take the mods their "#bestCommunityEver" spends so much time making to ultimately improve the games where they cannot into consideration, and at least prevent issues where possible.
Worst case, if they can't make parts like this "unskinable", they could at least implement a system that would allow an undefined part skin to fall back onto a blank area of the main skin file (an area that no part of the vehicle uses, which in the case of most skins is covered by the primary background color).
What little skinning experience I have, I do remember a small (like 16x16 or 2x2 or something) file that was a flat color. This file could be used to cover all accessories that do not have an otherwise defined skin file.
If a mod does not update to include this little corner piece, it would automatically fall back on that blank file (which in the mod shown in this thread, is probably a flat white file).

Anyway, developers who supposedly welcome the modding community as much as SCS should take steps in their own updates to make using and developing mods much easier and simpler. Mod developers shouldn't have to go back through their dozens or hundreds of old mods to update some tiny thing in all of them, and users shouldn't have to maintain a seperate vanilla profile simply to continue playing. Sure, some updates will naturally kill some old mods, and that's okay. The new sound system is a good example: old truck mods obviously need to put in the work to implement these new sounds, and SCS has no way to prevent that. That said, I don't remember those old outdated trucks crashing the game. This is also a good example of how many games should be: instead of crashing, the mod should continue to work as it did, but not utilize the new features. This doesn't exactly apply to skins, as they also do not crash.
jarryed

#13 Post by jarryed » 07 Dec 2021 19:19

bobgrey1997 wrote: 07 Dec 2021 18:55 Anyway, developers who supposedly welcome the modding community as much as SCS should take steps in their own updates to make using and developing mods much easier and simpler. Mod developers shouldn't have to go back through their dozens or hundreds of old mods to update some tiny thing in all of them, and users shouldn't have to maintain a seperate vanilla profile simply to continue playing.
I just love that sense of entitlement that you have. SCS IS NOT AND WILL NEVER BE RESPONSIBLE for community created content. Plain and simple. The very large and wide majority of players never use mods. I have read your recent postings and they seem to do nothing but trash SCS and throw them under the bus at every opportunity. This is not an attack against you. Just a simple fact from your postings.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
bobgrey1997

#14 Post by bobgrey1997 » 07 Dec 2021 19:22

There is no point in quoting the immediately preceeding post.
I also never mentioned anything about being entitled. I don't even use mods myself. I am just pointing out a flaw, based on the rest of the gakes I play.
If a developer wants to advertise their product as allowing mods, as they have shown via their blogs, social media, and other platforms, then they are responsible for maintaining that image. Part of that is not killing mods with every little update.
SuchManor

#15 Post by SuchManor » 07 Dec 2021 20:23

jarryed wrote: 07 Dec 2021 19:19 I just love that sense of entitlement that you have. SCS IS NOT AND WILL NEVER BE RESPONSIBLE for community created content. Plain and simple. The very large and wide majority of players never use mods. I have read your recent postings and they seem to do nothing but trash SCS and throw them under the bus at every opportunity. This is not an attack against you. Just a simple fact from your postings.
I don't agree with this. As much as SCS embraces the use of mods (steam workshop, allowing mods in multiplayer servers, etc.), the fact that people still think SCS should not care about modded content (what you are insinuating) is an old, outdated take that doesn't make any sense. SCS should be HELPING mod creators through issues like this to alleviate the amount of work they have to do every time an update is released. I don't think I'm asking for much. However whenever mod creators ask for a bit of help like this, it seems to fall on the deaf ears of community members who think they themselves make the decisions for SCS. The result of that is issues are swept under the rug and modders and mod enjoyers are left in the dust.

Literally no one is asking for SCS to be responsible for community created content, as they shouldn't, only asking for them to listen to creators and help them when bugs like this pop up. Again, this is such as simple issue (its not like this is a sound mod or truck mod, its literally paint on the outside of a truck) that could be resolved by either making the part be non-skinnable (I don't see why it needs to be in the first place) or at least giving us some options to work with so old skins are not "ruined" update after update.

Personally I think this is a simple mistake that got through (it is a beta after all) that I don't think they intentionally made to be this way. However, as you can see by the replies to this thread, the community likes to speak for SCS which in turn buried the opportunity for SCS to even look at this report and they probably wont even acknowledge this issue thanks to that.

With that being said I hope that one of the devs can provide some insight on a decision one way or the other, because there is no point arguing with community members who only see the issue from one side.
Check out my screenshots
Wolfi
Beta tester

#16 Post by Wolfi » 07 Dec 2021 20:35

Thing is, this is NOT A BUG. All SCS Paintjobs work fine and it's possible for moders to "fix" their skins.
And trust me, SCS does listen to mod makers input. If you haven't noticed, every single senior tester is a modder. You would be surprised how many things were added, or changed by SCS due to modders input.
However in this very case everything works as it should and old skins can be fixed by adding a single line in the def file, so there was no need to "change" or "fix" anything. The way the deflectors UV is currently set up is actually a nod to modders giving them more freedom for creativity.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
SuchManor

#17 Post by SuchManor » 07 Dec 2021 20:57

@Wolfi I get what you mean, and appreciate that. Sure, its possible for modders to fix this issue. However, the issue is that the VAST MAJORITY of old skins will NOT be updated by creators. Sure, the few skinners that still do skin could update their skins, and sure the skins made in the future will be made to adapt. However, what gets ignored are the old skins from the LAST YEAR from when the Cascadia was first released. THAT is the real issue here. Think about it this way, the first few months when a truck releases TONS, if not the majority, of skins are made for it. Compared to now when we see rarely any new (good) skins come up. How many of those original skin creators do you REALLY think are going to bother updating their skins? I get that it isn't SCS's issue, but the decision they made created that issue.

Also I appreciate the fact that they made the parts skinnable for more creative freedom, however, I don't think many people will be interested in skinning that part anyway since it is so insignificant. So I am just weighing the pros (having a small skinnable corner deflector that I can guarantee rarely anyone will bother skinning anyway) versus the cons (creating what is essentially a bug on hundreds of skins that were made over the last year), I personally don't think it is worth it. But that is just my take and I hope it gives some insight on the way I think as a skin maker, but more importantly a skin user.

Also, thank you for the insight on that SCS does listen to the modder senior testers. That is good to hear.
Check out my screenshots
Wolfi
Beta tester

#18 Post by Wolfi » 07 Dec 2021 21:23

I get your point. But the way SCS did the deflectors was actually the least invasive solution.
Yes, those parts could have been mapped on the main template, but some skinners leave the "unmapped" parts of the template u skinned (often black), in that case you would get for example a white truck with black deflectors.
On the other hand, if those parts would be only colorable (like for example wheel rims) then they would take the base skin color, which is coded in the def file and believe it, or not, in 99% cases that color is black, so it would stand out again. Not to mention, colorable deflectors wouldn't match any metallic skin.
So I get your point and I understand your ideas, but no matter what SCS would do, there would always be skins that would get broken one way or another.
Yes, the SCS method may seem weird, but it's also a method that allows the easiest fix, as for most (if not all) skins it doesn't require any texture modification, it just requires a simple text line to be added in an existing text file.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#19 Post by Mohegan13 » 07 Dec 2021 21:26

Not a bug. Topic locked.

If you need help understanding how to skin accessory parts feel free to start a topic on the appropriate help forum.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.

Return to “Bugs 1.43”