[REL] ProMods v2.68

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
MandelSoft
Beta tester

Re: [REL] ProMods v2.17

#3311 Post by MandelSoft » 20 Aug 2017 15:47

Some people think we are throttling the download on purpose to make more people use the paid option instead. But we are not. The limit has been put in place for a good reason; to limit traffic (so, you know, our servers won't catch fire or something).

Our download server is handling almost a Gigabit(!) per second of traffic right now. This means that about 500 downloads are being processed at the same time! This requires quite a beefy server to handle this and these servers ain't cheap (we are talking about a four-figure number of euros here). And you are allowed to use the servers and bandwidth we pay for for free! You are basically downloading on our bill. And we are quite happy that the server is slow but reliable instead of fast with constant dropouts and failures (which can lead to corrupt files).

So, why not using another mod host, you might ask? Well, there are multiple problems with that.
  1. Quite some mod hosts face the same overload problems as we do. You'll have a gigantic mod file that many people will be downloading at the same time. This could destabilise or cripple a mod host, and I don't think they like that, or that our users would like corrupt downloads.
  2. Remember the whole split between ProMods and the Poland Rebuild branch? Yeah, some of their fans are still vengeful about it and they managed to take down our Zippyshare uploads multiple times and DDoSed our website on more than one occasion. We had to take quite some security measures to prevent them taking down our website, and so far with great success. So if we do manage to find a reliable server, there is quite a risk they will take it down.
  3. Why not switch to the Steam Workshop? Nope. Not an option. Not only is our mod way too big for that, but the Workshop doesn't allow map mods at all.
Bottom line: the current download speed cap for the free download is a pure necessity. There are practically no alternatives.
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.
rockandrole18

#3312 Post by rockandrole18 » 20 Aug 2017 16:04

I actually managed to download all the parts successfully in like half an hour using the free download links (I have 100 MB/s internet though). However, I think I'll pay for a link next time when 2.20 gets released to help support the project.
xXCARL1992Xx

#3313 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Aug 2017 16:05

rockandrole18 wrote: 20 Aug 2017 16:04 I actually managed to download all the parts successfully in like half an hour using the free download links (I have 100 MB/s internet though). However, I think I'll pay for a link next time when 2.20 gets released to help support the project.
doesnt even matter if you have 1gb/s internet the download is only 200kb/s because of traffic
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
DragonSpirit

#3314 Post by DragonSpirit » 20 Aug 2017 16:29

MandelSoft I understand like others for the reasons why it is with the free download as it is, but despite the fact that in the past you had failures on the server due to high traffic it was for me (can not speak for others) faster to download and more stable, always had free download of the 6-7 parts and then the TCP part as well within 1-2 minutes on a 200/20 connection.

Now with 500/500 it is slow as a snail, and i decded for that reason to use the paid option since it kept giving to many errors on the free download option causing me to redownload parts multiple times cause it really is struggling to download it error free, maybe there can be looked at why it keeps giving people an error during downloading the 7 parts step by step?
It started when the new way of downloadign was introduced (the 200kb per file with max of 3 files at same time)

I know my 200/20 and now 500/500 wont have any use with a limit of 200kb a file ;)

But perhaps in time there can be looked for another solution that can work without setting the servers on fire and still keep the security as best as you can?
Thinking outloud and most likely being silly with my silly brain :P
Reef

#3315 Post by Reef » 20 Aug 2017 16:34

Ok thanks for your explanation Mandelsoft, I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about servers and costs or even cost effective measures regarding servers, so this is all an education to me, though I don't think you'll ever find a way to convince me that adfly is a good or even completely necessary evil, but I'm sure that is the very least of your worries. ;)
darkpino

#3316 Post by darkpino » 20 Aug 2017 16:45

Am I the only one who is having ‘problems’ with the real company mods? Some seem to show but some trailers seem to be stock?

Btw regarding paying: the guys making these mods invest a lot of time. What is that 1$? Better for me (fast and simple download) and they can buy a (cheap) ice cream. Everyone happy :)
brainiac

#3317 Post by brainiac » 20 Aug 2017 17:03

Tirol wrote: 20 Aug 2017 13:06 I like to pay for the download, because you get as the equivalent the best mod for the ETS. If you consider how many hours the mod makers have invested there, then it is anyway only a very small amount of donations.
rockandrole18 wrote: 20 Aug 2017 16:04 I actually managed to download all the parts successfully in like half an hour using the free download links (I have 100 MB/s internet though). However, I think I'll pay for a link next time when 2.20 gets released to help support the project.
When use paid link, you don't pay to team, but to server. If you want to donate, use donate function.
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: viewtopic.php?f=194&t=258124
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)
rockandrole18

#3318 Post by rockandrole18 » 20 Aug 2017 17:33

@CARL1992

Very strange then. I am pretty certain it was downloading it on higher speeds yesterday.. and no, I didn't pay for a link. It took less than 30 minutes for sure, and the files aren't corrupted either.

@brainiac - Alright, thanks for the information. I'll think about it when I get my salary
old.Trucker

#3319 Post by old.Trucker » 21 Aug 2017 04:33

Viva Mexico Map 2.4 (DURANGO) pay version (ATS) is ready from:
jueves, 27 de julio de 2017 (Thursday, July 27, 2017)
https://mexicomap.blogspot.rs/2017/07/v ... nible.html

but free version from:
https://mexicomap.blogspot.rs/p/contribucion.html

And no one has any complaints ... :)
viewtopic.php?p=780129#p780129
Understanding 'map editor' is really easy, all you have to do is understand 'map editor' ... :o
(BigTrucker) old.Trucker = more millions km in: 18 WoS series (+Extreme Trucker) + Rig'n'Roll (California) + ETS + GTS + UKTS + STDS + ETS2 + ATS

Peterbilt & Mercedes + TruckersMP = Trucking
Blackspots

#3320 Post by Blackspots » 21 Aug 2017 06:13

Wait... why are you posting this in this thread? That's an ATS map, not ETS2
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico

Return to “Maps”