Cadde's HD Skin Template shop. »02-09-2015«

Cadde
Global moderator

Cadde's HD Skin Template shop. »02-09-2015«

#1 Post by Cadde » 07 Aug 2015 15:39

I am offering a skin template creation service as well as a guide and tools to make your own.
Let's start off with the basics first.

ALL DOWNLOADS HERE <--- Click it!

... Tools - This is the one you want, it contains the Skin Template Exporter application and folders with SVG files from the completed trucks (see below)
... PNGs - This one will not be updated and is there for reference. It's what you get when you use the tool.
... Source - The source project/code (C#) of the application for those that want to build upon my work or see how i did it.

This is the current progression of the pack.

Volvo FH 2012 - SCS Software
Volvo FH 2009 - SCS Software
Scania R - SCS Software
Scania Streamline - SCS Software
MAN TGX - SCS Software
Daf XF - SCS Software
Daf XF Euro 6 - SCS Software
Mercedes Actros 2009 - SCS Software
Mercedes Actros 2014 - SCS Software
Renault Magnum - SCS Software
Renault Premium - SCS Software
Iveco HiWay - SCS Software
Iveco Stralis - SCS Software
Other popular mod trucks - Various modders
    • MAN TGX Euro 6 v1.2 - Madster
      Volvo VNL670 - I don't name and shame... But author not worthy of being mentioned.
WHAT IZ DIZ?

Rather than exporting PNG files directly from Blender, i am exporting .SVG files.
SVG files describe the image rather than brutishly saving each pixel. This makes SVG files very small compared to other formats. Even smaller than PNG files with simple shapes in them at a certain size.
The included tool with the first download lets you generate the PNG files locally in the size you want AND it lets you select the wireframe color, line width and faces fill color. More options than what are given to you in a blender export.
Alongside those options, you can also select the desired template size. But the application doesn't support 32k x 32k templates due to limitations in GDI+. If you need those sizes i recommend you open the SVG instead.

To use the tool, simply start it. Select a truck model and variant for preview. Adjust colors and line width to your liking and hit "Generate". Inspect the resulting .png file and see if you are happy with it.
Then press "Generate Model" to generate all UV maps for that truck.
If you press "Generate ALL" it will go over all SVG files in all folders of the tool.
Finally, the resulting PNG files are inside the folder of the truck model(s) you generated which you should now use in your image editor as usual.

The "Verify integrity..." button is for debugging purposes only, if you have made your own SVG files you should press this button and see what comes up in relation to your SVG files.

If you try to make the tool crash it will happily do so. Try again!

Do note, i am more likely to release SVG packs coupled with the tools than PNG packs.

How am i supposed to use templates?
I leave that up to you to decide but here's one way using Photoshop.

How do i get SVG files for the tool?

Import a model or use your source model, select the faces of the mesh (usually modelX.0, the one with the paintbrush material) you want and in the image editor hit the "UVs" menu and "Export UV layout".
In the export window, select the SVG format and put size to max (32768) on both dimensions. The opacity option doesn't matter. My tool takes care of that.

If you want me to export SVG's for a specific truck/trailer model then feel free to ask. But i will do so time permitting and only on SCS models and some select mods that i feel deserving.
I will only give you SVG's though, PNG files i leave up to you and the tool or other application capable of loading them. (My tool is better)
In any other case, this guide might help you: viewtopic.php?f=172&t=189929

Tool crashes every tiem!!!!1111one

Cool, tell me how you broke it and i will try to fix it time permitting.

I don't trust you, where's the source code?

See the download link above, it will take you to a Dropbox folder and there should be up to date sources in there. If you like messy code bases then you will feel right at home in this one.

Can i steal the source code for fame and glory?

Ya sure go right ahead. All my released projects of this nature is for the better of the community, nothing else.
ImageGreen text = Moderator action.
ImageWhite text = Opinions and general banter.
PEBCAK errors... PEBCAK errors everywhere! If my life had a log file, it would be filled with PEBCAK.

Cadde
Global moderator

Re: Cadde's HD Skin Template shop.

#2 Post by Cadde » 07 Aug 2015 15:39

Do let me know if this works for you.
And feel free to ask me to make more SVG's.

EDIT: Oh yeah, i haven't actually tested the template on a skin yet... I am assuming everything is fine. Anyone want to verify that the template is good?
PEBCAK errors... PEBCAK errors everywhere! If my life had a log file, it would be filled with PEBCAK.

SabR

#3 Post by SabR » 07 Aug 2015 16:44

This is a boon for skinners. After E2S this could be the most useful tool created for ETS2 (for skinners). Gave the svg version a try. Very easy tool. All options look useful except the line width. All skinners would love sharp lines for accurate skinning hence don't see a reason for this option to exist. Extracted a 8k template. Saving skin.dds files in uncompressed format is a thing of the past with skins as huge as 8k now available ((goes upto 32k if you got the RAM & your spouse's RAM & your babies RAM :lol: ). Below are a couple of pics showing the custom skin & how it looks on the truck. Something's amiss some where. Shall try a 4k skin, different base & report back.

Extracted pngs: CAB_B & CAB_BASE

A big hug & a box of chocolates for ya effort Cadde. :P This tool still needs some fixing as you can see from the pics.
Image Image Image

Cadde
Global moderator

#4 Post by Cadde » 07 Aug 2015 16:55

Might be rotation. I will verify the templates when i am done with dinner.

ohaha
Global moderator

#5 Post by ohaha » 07 Aug 2015 17:10

Dude yer awsum!
Careful which UV layer you export, though. Always select second UV map, for normal skins, or third for alternate uvset type.
ImageImage
ImageImage

SabR

#6 Post by SabR » 07 Aug 2015 17:12

Sorry about that. I jumped the clock. :oops: Didnt play with alternate UVset on any of my skins prior to this go and hence the weird mapping effect. Its enabled now and all's good. Amazed at the crispiness of the leaves & sharpness of the edges. :shock: If I were to make a non alternate UV skin, all I've to do is layer up the mirrored pngs, right?

Image Image Image

Cadde
Global moderator

#7 Post by Cadde » 07 Aug 2015 17:18

No, ohaha is right. I didn't know there was an alternate UV set hiding. I searched the interwebs and found out how to do it.
That is, i will export with regular UV set as well. After dinner...

EDIT: Oh and line width is there because someone might want to make a template in 16k and reduce it to 8k for extra quality. In fact, i was planning to implement that functionality in the tool itself. Hence the option of line width. It wasn't that much more work.

ohaha
Global moderator

#8 Post by ohaha » 07 Aug 2015 17:19

Alternate uvset is (almost) always mirrored left/right, as both sides of the cab are projected in the same place.
The "normal" skins, meaning the old, initial type, are on the second uv layer, and have separate left/right projections.
So, you need a completely different template.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Cadde
Global moderator

#9 Post by Cadde » 07 Aug 2015 17:25

Oh and by the way, the reason i made this tool to begin with was because i saw the SVG option and thought to myself... Maybe i can avoid having to wait 20 seconds for an 8k x 8k png to save in Blender for every UV set.
The added benefit is that now i can also pull the size sliders all the way to the right rather than inputting 8192 in both boxes. (That said, why doesn't blender remember my settings?)

All that PNG making is then done in one batch job. And the quality is better through my tool than it is in Blender.

EDIT: Oh and one of these days, ETS 2 Studio could theoretically be used to make templates straight from PMD files. Since i've converted the PMG classes from B2SCS into C# code.

ohaha
Global moderator

#10 Post by ohaha » 07 Aug 2015 18:06

You know what's funny?
A few days ago, when DaStig asked for high res templates, I wanted to suggest he makes svg templates, then resizes them to whatever he wants...
Guess great minds do think alike :D
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Modding Guides”