[ETS2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Carsmaniac

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paintjob Packer - Lightweight mod making tool

#51 Post by Carsmaniac » 18 Jan 2021 00:25

@LudoModding My bad, I must not have found that mod when I was looking for different trailer mods to add! I'll look into adding it to Paintjob Packer and my template pack. In the meantime, you can add mods yourself if you like, if you use the installer version or the source code (you can't add them to the portable version). Every vehicle has its own .ini file that describes its internal name, path, accessories etc. You can find them all in your installation directory: Paintjob Packer/library/vehicles/ets

To add a mod, you'd just need to make a new .ini file with the vehicle's internal name (make.model), then fill out all the details inside just like the other files. The accessories are kinda complicated, but if you look at some of the other vehicles with accessories, you should be able to figure it out. Or you could wait until I add support for the Chereau myself :)

@Loyal4ets2 Welcome to the insane world of SCS naming conventions :) There's probably some system to how they name their files, but I haven't worked it out. Looking in the def files, here are how all of the cougar_01 files match up:

Code: Select all

pjm_at_0x6144_size_2048x2048 - Cabin A (Highline)
pjm_at_0x4096_size_2048x2048 - Cabin B (Normal)
pjm_at_0x2048_size_2048x2048 - Cabin 8x4 (Highline)
shared_000000ff - Rear Exhaust, Front Logo, Mirrors, Front Mudflaps, Rear Bumper, Chassis Cover, Rear Fender
pjm_at_2560x7648_size_1024x32 - Sun Visor (Stock and Stock II)
pjm_at_2560x7616_size_1024x32 - Sun Visor (Ranger)
pjm_at_2560x7552_size_1024x64 - Sun Visor (Paint)
pjm_at_2560x7488_size_1024x64 - Sun Visor (Luxury)
pjm_at_2048x7680_size_1024x512 - Sideskirts (4x)
pjm_at_2048x7168_size_512x512 - Sideskirts (6x Short)
pjm_at_2048x6656_size_512x512 - Sideskirts (6x Long)
pjm_at_2048x3072_size_256x512 - Sideskirts (8x)
The way they've grouped the accessories is a little different to me, but you can see what corresponds to what. As you've got a single Cabin.dds, I'd go for the Cabin A (Highline) file, that's the template that's there at the moment. In case you run into this problem again, I found the accessory info in the game files at def/vehicle/truck/scania.s_2016/paint_job/accessory/cougar_01.sii. Good luck! :)

Sorry for the late replies guys, the notification system on the forums is less than reliable, so I only see mentions/posts when I visit the site myself
Ludo Diabolo

#52 Post by Ludo Diabolo » 18 Jan 2021 09:53

@Carsmaniac

Thank you for your answer, I will rather wait until you add it yourself I think lol. Good luck to you and thank you again for this great software.
ETS2:promods + Middle-East Add-On + TGS / ATS:promods Canada

SORRY MY ENGLISH, I'M FRENCH.
Loyal4ets2

#53 Post by Loyal4ets2 » 18 Jan 2021 18:13

@Carsmaniac , thank you sir for all details, i really apreciate and it's not a problem for the delay, the important thing is that you care about comunity. The problem is that i'm in a completly fog. I have your info and i watch at my folders like a retard :lol: i don't know what to do. I have to rename the scs files? But they have 23 files and your generated folder has 26 files and i understand that they are grouped but how can i make this to work ? :D A little step by step tutorial when you have time please ? I'm not in this mod skins thing but i want only this skin to make it work and i feel like i have to sends satellites in space :lol:
DAFmanXFE6

#55 Post by DAFmanXFE6 » 05 Feb 2021 13:44

@Carsmaniac Would it be possible to remove the comma from the dds/tobj's at all please? My old version of photoshop can't save them :lol: Of course if it's too much work or no one else is having the same problem then ignore me. Thanks for this program it's really great and I use it for all my skinning needs now.

For example "Cabin A (Hi Rise Sleeper, alt uvset)" would be "Cabin A (Hi Rise Sleeper_alt uvset)".

@Loyal4ets2 Not sure where you are going wrong as you shouldn't be renaming anything that has come out of this program. Anyway have taken some picture of how I do it so maybe it'll help you? Sorry if I've missed what you're getting stuck on.

Step 1 choose the type of file you want to generate (I've chosen the MACK Anthem), remember to click on the ? marks if you're unsure about your selection. (click on the images to see full size)
[ external image ]

Step 2 save it anywhere you want and generate, I usually put the templates in as I find it helps me work out better which bits I'm doing
[ external image ]

Step 3 open the folder you'll have your mod (the folder) and a help guide (txt file)
[ external image ]

Step 4 follow this path and it takes you to the dds files, you need to replace these with your paintjobs (or open them/edit them with your paintjob/save them)
[ external image ]

Step 5 these files help you edit things like price/colour/metallic etc. (for metallic you need to add those parameters in, found elsewhere on the forum)
[ external image ]

Step 6 Put the folder in your ATS or ETS2 mod folder, (this bit is unnecessary but I like having scs files in my mod folders) normally though I create the scs file by zipping the files that I've highlighted below, then you just rename from xxxx.zip to xxxx.scs
[ external image ]
[ external image ][ external image ]

When in doubt... Ask m1keY!
Billy79

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paintjob Packer - Leichtes Mod-Making-Tool

#56 Post by Billy79 » 07 Feb 2021 12:49

with this program it is possible to create multiple skin for the same truck in a folder ?
Ludo Diabolo

#57 Post by Ludo Diabolo » 07 Feb 2021 18:14

yes it is possible .
ETS2:promods + Middle-East Add-On + TGS / ATS:promods Canada

SORRY MY ENGLISH, I'M FRENCH.
Carsmaniac

#58 Post by Carsmaniac » 10 Feb 2021 00:24

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of responses, I'm super busy IRL right now with work and uni. Don't expect any major updates to Paintjob Packer or the template pack for at least a week or two.

@Loyal4ets2 If you haven't sorted it out by now, what you'd wanna do is take the SCS cougar_01 dds files, rename them to the equivalent file from Paintjob Packer (as per my last message), then copy them into the Paintjob Packer output folder. E.g. you'd rename "pjm_at_2048x7680_size_1024x512.dds" to "Sideskirts (4x).dds" and replace the blank "Sideskirts (4x).dds" that's already there.

Where the accessory grouping is different is a little more complex. "shared_000000ff.dds" would need to be copied multiple times, replacing Rear Exhaust, Front Logo, Mirrors etc. You'll also have to choose one of the cabin files to replace "Cabin.dds", I'd recommend using "pjm_at_0x6144_size_2048x2048.dds" (the Highline cabin).

@DAFmanXFE6 I haven't heard of Photoshop having issues with commas in file names, may I ask what version you're using? You could use DXTBmp to get around the issue if need be, it seems fine with commas. I won't remove the commas from all of the DDSs and TOBJs just because my goal with this progam was to make paintjob-making as accessible as possible, and I think the easily readable file names are an important part of that.

You're able to rename accessories and cabin names if you use the installer or source code versions of Paintjob Packer by editing each vehicle's text file (in the installation directory/Paintjob Packer/library/vehicles/ats or ets), but the specific comma you mentioned is a little more tricky to remove. If you don't mind getting into the weeds a bit, you could download the source code version of Paintjob Packer, then edit one line in packer.py, and one line in library/paintjob.py. As long as they match up, you should be able to name them anything you like. You'd need to change line 753 in packer.py and line 208 in paintjob.py:

Code: Select all

packer.py line 753, change from:
                            main_dds_name = main_dds_name[:-1] + ", alt uvset)" # inserts "alt uvset" into the brackets in the cabin name
to:
                            main_dds_name = main_dds_name[:-1] + "_alt uvset)" # inserts "alt uvset" into the brackets in the cabin name
paintjob.py line 208, change from:
                largest_cabin_name = veh.cabins["a"][0][:-1]+", alt uvset).dds"
to:
                largest_cabin_name = veh.cabins["a"][0][:-1]+"_alt uvset).dds"
@Billy79 You can't make a mod with multiple paintjobs all at once, but you can combine mods to make a mod with multiple paintjobs for the same truck. If you make a mod using Paintjob Packer, then make a second one, you can combine them by dragging the def, material and vehicle folders from one base folder into the other, merging them. As long as your two paintjobs have different internal names, they'll work just fine together. I'll look into adding an option to make a single mod with multiple paintjobs at once though, that's a good suggestion :)
DAFmanXFE6

#59 Post by DAFmanXFE6 » 10 Feb 2021 11:58

Thanks for the above @Carsmaniac, I am using an older version (CS3) so I’ll take a look at upgrading and completely agree don’t change if it’s working fine for you :mrgreen:
[ external image ][ external image ]

When in doubt... Ask m1keY!
Truckdrivr

#60 Post by Truckdrivr » 20 Feb 2021 16:52

very nice tool, finally i have been able to produce my own skins, without resovling to ModsStudio or other massive programs. Thank you!
Convoy nametag: Truckdrivr
See you on the road 8-)

My screenshot thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=302557

Return to “Skins”