[ETS2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Carsmaniac

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paintjob Packer - Lightweight mod making tool

#91 Post by Carsmaniac » 04 Jun 2021 00:28

@magicko84 Sorry, I don't think I explained properly! Try choosing paintjob pack at the start, here. Then just select only the Scania R, and your mod should work correctly. Sorry for the hassle!

@LAFAYET47 Yes, RJL's Scania uses scania.rs as its vehicle path, but its display name in Paintjob Packer is "Scania R". Previously the next-gen Scania was called "Scania R 2016" in Paintjob Packer, but I changed it to just "Scania R" in v1.6, and I didn't realise that this caused issues when making a single paintjob. It's fixed in v1.7, because I'm changing how Paintjob Packer handles truck and trailer mods

@Jacky_Twix I haven't used any addons for the Scania T, so I'm not 100% sure what's causing this, but here's my best guess. To make the chassis covers appear black instead of white, go to def/vehicle/truck/scania.t/paint_job and open the file called (your paintjob)_settings.sui, then add the following line to it:

Code: Select all

base_color: (0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000)
To explain why this happened, paintjobs have a setting called "base_color", which is used to colour any parts that the texture (.dds file) doesn't cover. It's usually not used in simple paintjob mods, only in mods with changeable colours. Since Paintjob Packer doesn't support those, any mods created by it have the default base_color, which is white. By adding that line to your settings.sui file, you're changing the base_color to black instead. The three numbers in the brackets represent red, green and blue, but they're scaled weirdly to SCS's own colour space, though (1.0000, 1.0000, 1.0000) is white, and (0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000) is black.

My guess is that whatever addon mod you're using didn't add the chassis covers anywhere to the template, so they use the base_color instead. I can't confirm this (as my PC is dead right now, so I can't test it in-game myself), but I think if you change the base_color that will solve your issue. Hope this helps :)
Jacky_Twix

#92 Post by Jacky_Twix » 04 Jun 2021 01:43

Carsmaniac wrote: 04 Jun 2021 00:28
@Jacky_Twix I haven't used any addons for the Scania T, so I'm not 100% sure what's causing this, but here's my best guess. To make the chassis covers appear black instead of white, go to def/vehicle/truck/scania.t/paint_job and open the file called (your paintjob)_settings.sui, then add the following line to it:

To explain why this happened, paintjobs have a setting called "base_color", which is used to colour any parts that the texture (.dds file) doesn't cover. It's usually not used in simple paintjob mods, only in mods with changeable colours. Since Paintjob Packer doesn't support those, any mods created by it have the default base_color, which is white. By adding that line to your settings.sui file, you're changing the base_color to black instead. The three numbers in the brackets represent red, green and blue, but they're scaled weirdly to SCS's own colour space, though (1.0000, 1.0000, 1.0000) is white, and (0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000) is black.

My guess is that whatever addon mod you're using didn't add the chassis covers anywhere to the template, so they use the base_color instead. I can't confirm this (as my PC is dead right now, so I can't test it in-game myself), but I think if you change the base_color that will solve your issue. Hope this helps :)
Does it matter where I add the line in the text file?? so far ive got this (with the additional line you told me to add )

name: "Mcqueen Le Mans"
price: 1000
unlock: 0
airbrush: true
icon: "mcqueenlm_icon"

Have tried it as above and its still white.

EDIT:.... Just tried to make a basic new profile and only add the Scania T addon/mod and nothing else ( as to eliminate any other accessory packs or addons etc ) and the Chassis cover is part of the standard accessory parts in the truck mod, ie its not something ive added on after that.
Carsmaniac

#93 Post by Carsmaniac » 06 Jun 2021 02:01

@Jacky_Twix You're right, the chassis cover is part of the Scania T mod itself not an addon mod, my mistake. I've just checked all of the Scania T paintjobs I've made and they all have the same issue. I was able to get it to turn black by adding the line to my .sui file, like this. If that doesn't work for you, you could also try adding the following line instead/as well, which would give you a colour picker in-game:

base_color_locked: false
I don't think it matters where you put it, but I put mine at the end and it worked for me. Also try adding a blank line at the bottom of the file, after everything else. ETS 2 is sometimes funny about line endings in .sii and .sui files, and depending on which text editor you use it might be missing one.

As far as the cause of all this, I think the mod has a bug, as the chassis cover actually does have a spot on the template, around the middle on the right edge, but it doesn't pick up whatever colour you put there.
Jacky_Twix

#94 Post by Jacky_Twix » 06 Jun 2021 22:24

I only used notepad to alter the configuration file. Should I have used something different?? Also I only added the template for the particular cab size I was using ( Cabin B - Topline extended ) Is the template for the Chassis Cover in another file and I need to paint that black add that one in too?? Many thanks for all this Help
Carsmaniac

#95 Post by Carsmaniac » 07 Jun 2021 01:24

The chassis cover is on every template, but as I said for whatever reason the mod doesn't use it, so you don't need to worry about it.

Notepad is not the best for editing text files, I personally use Notepad++. Regardless, if you add an empty line at the bottom of the .sui file, beneath the base_color line you've already added, that should hopefully solve the problem.

Sorry for all this messing around with files, the Scania T is the only mod I know of that does this besides the DBus mods (and maybe RJL's Scania R), and this is why I usually try to avoid anything to do with base_color wherever possible :)
Jacky_Twix

#96 Post by Jacky_Twix » 08 Jun 2021 14:38

Carsmaniac wrote: 07 Jun 2021 01:24 The chassis cover is on every template, but as I said for whatever reason the mod doesn't use it, so you don't need to worry about it.

Notepad is not the best for editing text files, I personally use Notepad++. Regardless, if you add an empty line at the bottom of the .sui file, beneath the base_color line you've already added, that should hopefully solve the problem.

Sorry for all this messing around with files, the Scania T is the only mod I know of that does this besides the DBus mods (and maybe RJL's Scania R), and this is why I usually try to avoid anything to do with base_color wherever possible :)

Thanks, I think ive sorted it. I had to paint the truck one of the' default in game colours then select my paint job again and its now painted it back. Cost a little bit of cash but was worth it.

Its quite a weird little bug because if you load the bare template.dds as a usable paintjob it shows all the UV map/ poly lines but the Chassis cover stays clean without any on.

Thanks fro all the Help.
Carsmaniac

#97 Post by Carsmaniac » 11 Jun 2021 01:26

I've released a minor update that adds support for the new DAF 2021!

Version 1.6.3
  • Added support for the DAF 2021
I'm still working on v1.7 which will feature much-improved mod support, including support for over 50 new truck and trailer mods! Expect that some time soon :)
ThunderSky

#98 Post by ThunderSky » 11 Jun 2021 07:39

Looks cool! I'm gonna give it a try :D
edit: Thanks for the advice of editing with the game running. That saves so much open - close game loool
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
aerlenkoenig

#99 Post by aerlenkoenig » 11 Jun 2021 11:59

I already know how to create paint jobs. But hands down, great effort! Simple design, uniformity and limited only to the most necessary. This simplifies the work a lot. Thanks for your awesome work.
Carsmaniac

#100 Post by Carsmaniac » 11 Jun 2021 12:32

Thanks for the kind words, and you're both right! One of the reasons why I made the tutorial video was to share the technique of editing a mod while the game is running, because it saved me so much time, and the reason why I originally wrote Paintjob Packer (back in 2018, pre-release, pre-GUI) was simplicity and streamlining the process, I'm glad it's still meeting that goal :)

Return to “Skins”