[ETS2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Carsmaniac

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paintjob Packer - Lightweight mod making tool

#81 Post by Carsmaniac » 15 May 2021 01:15

@mastine I'm glad to hear the program's encouraging you to make mods, that's exactly why I developed it! :) I run into a similar problem with all of my Hi-Way paintjobs, it's unfortunately caused by the way SCS textured the truck. The UV map is a bit squished, meaning that any logo you put on it will appear too narrow. The best thing you can do is make your logo wider on the Hi-Way only, and tweak it until it looks okay-ish to you.

For reference, here's what my Globex paintjob looks like on the Iveco Stralis: https://i.imgur.com/ag0ADL9.png
And here's what it looks like on the Stralis Hi-Way, you can see everything's wider: https://i.imgur.com/GywEiuT.png
mastine

#82 Post by mastine » 15 May 2021 17:50

@Carsmaniac Understand. Thanks for the work and the tip.
TransEast Global

#83 Post by TransEast Global » 21 May 2021 09:22

I get this error when trying to generate a template for ekeri tandem trailers. what should I do?

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:/Users/Beatrice/Desktop/Paintjob Packer Output/ten/Mod_Manager_Image.jpg'

Traceback:
File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1883, in __call__

File "packer.py", line 341, in <lambda>

File "packer.py", line 606, in check_if_folder_clear

File "packer.py", line 697, in make_paintjob

File "library\paintjob.py", line 113, in copy_mod_manager_image
shutil.copyfile("library/placeholder files/mod_manager_image.jpg", output_path + "/Mod_Manager_Image.jpg")

File "shutil.py", line 261, in copyfile
Carsmaniac

#84 Post by Carsmaniac » 22 May 2021 00:18

@TransEast Global Hmm, I'm not 100% sure what could be causing that to happen. It looks like Paintjob Packer is able to start making the mod, and doesn't have any issue generating the folders and text files, but fails when it copies the first image.

Have you been able to successfully use Paintjob Packer in the past, or has it never worked for you?

I'm not sure if they'll help, but try these steps, it might make a difference:
  • Delete the "Paintjob Packer Output" folder from your desktop and try generating the mod again
  • If that doesn't work, delete the folder again, and try generating the mod using a different mod name/internal name/etc (e.g. not "ten")
  • Try choosing a different output location, i.e. not on your desktop (maybe your Documents folder?)
  • If you have multiple drives in your computer, try outputting it somewhere on your D drive
  • If none of those work, try deleting Paintjob Packer and redownloading it (if you used the installer, it'll probably be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Paintjob Packer)
Hopefully one of these works, and if not I'll try to work with you to see what went wrong. Thanks for sending me the error :)
TransEast Global

#85 Post by TransEast Global » 22 May 2021 08:48

Carsmaniac wrote: 22 May 2021 00:18 @TransEast Global Hmm, I'm not 100% sure what could be causing that to happen. It looks like Paintjob Packer can start making the mod, and doesn't have any issue generating the folders and text files, but fails when it copies the first image.

Have you been able to successfully use Paintjob Packer in the past, or has it never worked for you?

I'm not sure if they'll help, but try these steps, it might make a difference:
  • Delete the "Paintjob Packer Output" folder from your desktop and try generating the mod again
  • If that doesn't work, delete the folder again, and try generating the mod using a different mod name/internal name/etc (e.g. not "ten")
  • Try choosing a different output location, i.e. not on your desktop (maybe your Documents folder?)
  • If you have multiple drives in your computer, try outputting it somewhere on your D drive
  • If none of those work, try deleting Paintjob Packer and redownloading it (if you used the installer, it'll probably be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Paintjob Packer)
Hopefully one of these works, and if not I'll try to work with you to see what went wrong. Thanks for sending me the error :)
I tried all the methods but they failed. Finally, I took your advice on using a different drive output and it worked when I used my high-speed flash drive.
Thanks a lot for this beautiful tool.
magicko84

#86 Post by magicko84 » 03 Jun 2021 11:31

@Carsmaniac Hi, I have a problem with the skin mod of the scania r, the new one, not the old one. In practice I created a single skin mod, filled in all the fields, and finally since I have no template, I made them generate directly from the tool. After modifying the templates, I replaced mine with those of the skin, I included them in the archive generated through 7zip and inserted it in the mod folder. Now in the mod manager the mod is read, but in game, both by the mechanic and in the vehicle browser, the mod skin does not appear. I don't know what happened, but I noticed that in the def folder, there is the scania.rs folder, whereas it should only be r, in theory. how can i fix it, if it can be done?
Thanks so much.
My WoT Profile: https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/112204

My PC: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, 2x8 16GB 3200 MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 3070 TI 8GB X TRIO, Corsair RM850x Watt 80 Plus Gold, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Carsmaniac

#87 Post by Carsmaniac » 03 Jun 2021 12:14

@magicko84 Due to some sloppy coding on my part, for some reason when you make a single paintjob for the Scania R, Paintjob Packer will instead make that paintjob for RJL's Scania R, because they have the same name. This bug is already fixed in a big update I'm working on, so in the meantime the best thing to do would be to make a paintjob pack, and just select a single vehicle - the Scania R, then it seems to work correctly. A paintjob pack that supports a single vehicle is identical to a single paintjob in-game :)

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! I had someone mention a similar issue a few days ago, but I couldn't replicate it on my end. It wasn't until your post that I realised that single paintjobs act differently to paintjob packs sometimes.
LAFAYET47

#88 Post by LAFAYET47 » 03 Jun 2021 12:25

@Carsmaniac Are you sure the stock Scania share the same name with Scania RJL? As far as I know, Scania RJL was named "scania.rs", while the vanilla scania is called "scania.r"
magicko84

#89 Post by magicko84 » 03 Jun 2021 13:02

@Carsmaniac Hello and thanks for the reply. When I create a single skin for a single truck, I select the game, then I select "single paintjob", I enter all the data, then in "Supported Cabin", instead of leaving "Largest cabin only", I click on "All cabin" and then I click at the bottom on "Separate paintjob" instead of "Combined paintjob", then in the right pane, I leave "Truck" under the "Vehicle supported" menu and in the "Vehicle" selection field I select the model. I did exactly everything I described above, I know I selected Scania R among the models, but I find myself with the sub-folder "scania.rs" in the main folder "def". I try to do it again, maybe in clicking I was wrong model, it can happen. I will let you know.

EDIT: I tried again two minutes ago, but there is always the "scania.rs" folder instead of "scania.r" in the main "def" folder. Before I forgot to write that I only selected "Truck" not "Truck mod" in "Type". At this point I tried to create a paintjob combo scania r + vanilla box trailers, in this case the scania r 2016 templates have been generated and in the def folder there is now the scania.r_2016 folder, I think it's the right one. Now I get to work in modifying the templates, at the end I try the mod and let you know.

@LAFAYET47 I can confirm it for you. I basically created a new paintjob for scania r, but in the def folder I found the folder "scania.rs" instead of "scania.r"
My WoT Profile: https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/112204

My PC: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, 2x8 16GB 3200 MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 3070 TI 8GB X TRIO, Corsair RM850x Watt 80 Plus Gold, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Jacky_Twix

#90 Post by Jacky_Twix » 03 Jun 2021 18:44

Hi, Im new here so please go easy on me or my lack of correct terminology etc.

I thought id have a dabble at making my own skin, I used PJP and after a little bit of playing about i got my head around it all. SO after much mucking about I made myself my first Reskin for My Scania T series. Got it in the game and activated the mod, then went to put it on my truck, all was going great except for some reason now the chassis/deck cover is now plain white. Im guessing it was perhaps part of a mod/addon pack ( sorry, im not sure which one it came from ) but it was painted black through the 'default' custom paint colour picker ' in game, the same as the res of the truck.

Can someone tell me how I get it painted black again please

[ external image ]

Return to “Skins”