[ETS2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Carsmaniac

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paintjob Packer - Lightweight mod making tool

#11 Post by Carsmaniac » 27 Apr 2020 05:02

Version 1.2 - Steam Workshop
  • Added option to generate files for Steam Workshop upload
  • Added error popups for any unexpected errors, so the program shouldn't just hang if something goes wrong
  • Fixed a bug where the "trailers supported" section didn't appear in pre-generated descriptions sometimes

Version 1.2.1
  • Added support for the Mack Anthem
Enjoy! :)
Last edited by Carsmaniac on 02 May 2020 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
CaboverPete

#12 Post by CaboverPete » 01 May 2020 19:23

Awesome - thanks mate. What I really like about Paintjob Packer is the folder, file structure and naming it creates - especially for trailers. Big thumbs up!
Carsmaniac

#13 Post by Carsmaniac » 02 May 2020 11:22

Thanks Pete! When it came to naming the files and putting them in folders, I aimed for what made the most sense to me, so that if I ever started a mod and came back to it months later, I wouldn't be lost. I'm glad it makes sense to others too! :)

For the sake of not double posting, here's the latest version info:

Version 1.2.2
  • Increased placeholder image resolution to fix problems with DXTBmp
  • Fixed bug causing the cabin unifier to always quit with a missing file error
Grinch

#14 Post by Grinch » 02 May 2020 15:44

Thanx for this wonderfull tool you are a genius :o . I was wondering if you can change the text format to scs standard (TAB instead of spaces and only 1 space after ":"
Also to use the standard "mod_description.txt" and "mod_image.jpg". Would be great to have in UI "base_color" (scs numbers) and "base_color_locked" settings too.

When I will publish my skin later you gonna be in credits for sure ;)

Regards.
Pictokong

#15 Post by Pictokong » 10 May 2020 03:15

Hey, just a quick word saying what a nice little program you have there!

I just found a little "bug" in that the paintjob packer output file on the desktop directly went to c:/user instead of my e:/user file, since i do not use the c:/ for storing my user files (images, documents, etc...)., being an SSD with limited space and all that! It might be a bit of an edge case, and a quick research on my PC allowed me to find the folder name just fine, but I was just mentioning it in passing!

Keep up the great work you do!
Carsmaniac

#16 Post by Carsmaniac » 10 May 2020 04:04

@Pictokong Ah, thanks for mentioning that, I do something similar but with my Documents folder instead of my Desktop. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to get the proper desktop location using Python that works across Windows, macOS and Linux. Hopefully not too many other people have that issue :)

@Grinch Thank you! I wasn't aware the files were using spaces instead of tabs, after looking into it, it appears they're treated differently in Python strings, so I'll be sure to fix that for the next version! The spacing within the files is a hold-over from years ago when I wrote them manually, so I'll change that as well. As far as the mod manager image/description, I don't think they're SCS standards, but rather "mod_image" and "mod_description" were just popularised by ETS 2 Studio. Since they can be anything, and mod_manager_* is more descriptive, I'll probably keep them as they are. I'm not sure if I'll add in the "base_color" things, but either way I won't add a base colour picker to the program itself, as it'll complicate the paintjob making process, and Paintjob Packer is supposed to be as simple as possible. And you defo don't have to credit me in your mod! :)
SimpleSim

#17 Post by SimpleSim » 13 May 2020 16:14

ooo I love this paint job packer whoever made it thanks soooo much soo much better and very easy and no messing about straight in and out skin maker awesome thanks soo much once again!!! I love it :)
Trucker_71

#18 Post by Trucker_71 » 14 May 2020 04:54

This is a nice easy tool to use but there's one thing that I don't care for. I don't like that it puts a folder on my desktop. The app should have an option that allows you to send the mod to a user selected folder, OR to the desktop for those that are more comfortable doing that. ;)
MaxCry

#19 Post by MaxCry » 25 May 2020 14:34

Thanks for this nice and easy to use tool, Carsmaniac.
I successfully created my own trailer skin with this tool (and the matching templates supplied elsewhere here in the forum).
Exactly what I needed.
I created skins in the past with ATS/ETS mod studio for trucks and trailers, but it was always a bit complicated, especially if you don't do it every day. Also tried Mods Studio 2 and had no clue how to use it just to create a skin.
Here it's just a few clicks and bam! Great!
The "desktop thing" doesn't bother me. The size of it is very small with the tiny dds files. So no problem. I just move it somewhere else and done.
👍
Carsmaniac

#20 Post by Carsmaniac » 26 May 2020 01:19

It's great to see people enjoying the program, thanks everyone for your feedback! :)

I should note there is a tutorial video coming, I've just been too busy to get it finished. It'll probably come out when my workload is a little lighter, likely when my uni semester ends in a month-ish.

@Trucker_71 That's a really good point. I wanted to include a dialogue box that would let you choose where to save it, but since Paintjob Packer is the first GUI program I've made I wasn't quite sure how to do it at first (and I was a little intimidated tbh!). I've learned a lot since then, so I'll look into adding this in the future.

Return to “Skins”