Trailer and cargo masses.

Max
SCS Software

Re: Trailer and cargo masses.

#81 Post by Max » 30 Sep 2019 19:26

total tractor weight is sum of kerbs. period.
its because this is the value you could find in brochures so its easiest way to get it correct and usable.
then game computes weights for all separated actors. same as game places cog in the model by kerb weight distribution and so on.

what you wrote is weight of chassis alone. except you should subtract two wheels per axle .. ;)
no that in ATS trucks do not have separate cabin, so there is single actor containing firmly connected both parts.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
TurboJ

#82 Post by TurboJ » 30 Sep 2019 19:44

OK. I thought I had got it wrong again!

So when you wrote
sum of kerbs is what game sets for physical actor weight (after subtracting cab or wheel weights as those are simulated as separated actor connected by joints)
...you then mean that the "physical actor weight" is not the total tractor weight in terms of simulation?

I'm trying to grasp what is the weight/mass that is actually relevant to power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratio, so I would assume the total tractor weight is what constitutes to this, and the "physical actor weight" has to do with some other aspect rather than maximum acceleration capability for example? Or is it vice versa...

So in simple terms I'm looking for a way to compare different tractors and the relative power/torque of their engines (for this purpose not taking into account transmissions and their effect on truck performance). At the very basic level I'm trying to figure out what hp @ x rpm and nm @ y rpm is going to be equal pulling power for tractors A and B...

Boy these discussions could be so much easier in a spoken conversation :? But thank you all for having the patience to answer! I promise I'll do something useful with all this data!
Max
SCS Software

#83 Post by Max » 30 Sep 2019 19:56

if you want to compute engine power and acceleration or speed, you need whole truck mass (you take cab and wheels with you, don't you?)
if you want to model eg suspension behavior, mass of every part is important. thing is suspension behavior affects simple acceleration as it creates various effects that basically dissipate the energy (= slow you down). similarly rotation of engine (shaft+flywheel inside the truck) or wheels creates torque that adds to momentum of truck that affect starting, braking or turning. and so on ...

it all depends on how much details you want. but i suggest to try simplest model first. thus take whole mass. and like 0.5 coefficient of power loss on various physical phenomena.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
TurboJ

#84 Post by TurboJ » 30 Sep 2019 21:05

OK, thanks for the clarification!

I'll definitely start from the basics first, and now that I have a clear picture of how the simulation works on a basic level, I think I can accomplish what my main goal was with this question of weight! So thanks again!
galimim

#85 Post by galimim » 30 Sep 2019 21:09

@Max How come you are not supporting different cab weights? Or is there not enough difference to make it worth it?
ETS2:
Real Tires Mod
Search for Drivetrain Revision mods!
Truck fix doctor
ATS:
Real Tires Mod
Truck fix doctor
Max
SCS Software

#86 Post by Max » 30 Sep 2019 23:21

if we have different cab weights, it must be stored in cabin data.
what should chassis kerbs say in that moment? right now its truck weight stated in any spec sheet you can find.
but if cabin mass could be different? either kerbs would be without cabin mass, which makes them harder to set properly (in case of 8x4 cabin mass lays on more than one axle, what is the division ratio?). or they would be including cabin, but one must be stated as default then. who decides?

mass per chassis only is simplification. but it is easily usable and does not change that much in simulation (hundreds of kg at most).
galimim

#87 Post by galimim » 01 Oct 2019 08:44

Fair, that is why I am asking :D I guess if it made a meaningful difference, it would be done already.

A possible solution would be to have the smallest cab as kerb weight to start with, than bigger cabs just add the additional weight. But that does not solve the problem of weight distribution across axles.
ETS2:
Real Tires Mod
Truck fix doctor
ATS:
Real Tires Mod
Truck fix doctor
TurboJ

#88 Post by TurboJ » 19 Oct 2019 16:47

It would be awesome to have cabin weight and - dare I say it - cabin aerodynamics also implemented. I know this is going to 'heavy sim' direction, but wouldn't it be great if your roof spoilers and aero cabin tops had an actual effect on the wind resistance of your combo? I always cringe a little when I see long haul trucks without any aero on the roof; that flat top part of the trailer being directly in the airflow - IRL this has to have a noticeable effect on fuel consumption.

About the weight though, now that 1.36 (or is it just the new map DLC) introduces weighing stations to ETS2 too we will get to actually see the gross weight of our vehicle combos. Which is great! What I'm wondering though is how difficult it might be to implement a function where you could access this weight information within the regular UI or even on the trip computer...
V8Sven

#89 Post by V8Sven » 28 Oct 2019 09:41

I've noticed some loads are more jittery than others and will flip your truck right over even with slow speed.

And it doesn't seem to be connected to weight,some loads will weight 20+ tons and be stable and others will flip your truck at 9 tons.

Still,the list in OP seems very outdated and should be updated with the new trailers and cargo.
idyllicLife

#90 Post by idyllicLife » 28 Oct 2019 11:13

Tipper trailer is one of those. I love them but they're extremely unstable. I asked about it some time ago and Max answered.

viewtopic.php?p=937994#p937994

Return to “General discussion about the game”