Trailer and cargo masses.

TubewayArmy

Re: Trailer and cargo masses.

#71 Post by TubewayArmy » 23 Jan 2019 20:57

Hello people,

thank you for making the list and updating it. It's very useful!

Just a little question/request. There are some particular cargos that I was looking for but couldn't find them.

- Empty Pallets for Krone Profi Liner Double (it should be 35 tons, but if you could please find the exact number in kg, then that would be great)
- Train Undercarriage for Krone Profi Liner HD Flatbed (10 tons)

Also, when it comes to Pumps, you have them listed under Krone Profi Liner, guess it's the same weight when I used Krone Dry Liner right?

Thank you for your help!

Edit: After a few more completed jobs, I wasn't able to verify weight of this cargo too. There isn't listed Potassium (16 000 kg) for Krone Box Liner and Wooden Beams (18 000 kg) for Krone Dry Liner. Is there any chance you could update the list with latest cargos? Thank you once again.
WoTr | 2 500+ jobs | 47 000+ tons | 1 400 000+ km

Volvo FH16 - 1 100 000+ km | Volvo VNL - 250 000+ km | Schwarzmüller Platform - 100 000+ km

You can find my full trucking gallery of both ETS2 & ATS on World of Trucks site
TurboJ

#72 Post by TurboJ » 28 Sep 2019 19:38

I'm wondering if this data about trailer and cargo weight have changed a lot through the years. Is there currently a way to actually see the data regarding ETS2 directly?

And further on the topic of weight, is it known how the tractor weight is simulated - are there any differences in weight between different trucks and chassis variants (in ETS2)?

If I'm going simply by means of guessing, a typical cargo load of 20 tons would yield a total weight (for the whole tractor-trailer combination) of around 34 tons. Tractor about 8 tons, trailer about 6 tons plus cargo (metric tons). But how does the game handle the weight data currently?
Max
SCS Software

#73 Post by Max » 29 Sep 2019 13:28

game uses values stated in data. eg truck chassis data has array of kerb weights - it is used for balancing and suspension (cog position) as well as whole mass calculations and economy / law limits.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
TurboJ

#74 Post by TurboJ » 30 Sep 2019 09:51

@Max Thanks! Good to know!

edit. just had a look at the truck chassis data. I see the numbers of values depends at least on the number of tractor axles/wheels, am I right?

For example, one (original SCS) 4x2 tractor has this array:

Code: Select all

kerb_weight[0]: 5160
	kerb_weight[1]: 1980
A 8x4 version of the same tractor has this:

kerb_weight[0]: 5250
	kerb_weight[1]: 3105
	kerb_weight[2]: 1337.25
	kerb_weight[3]: 2557.75

Now, adding these weight numbers (for each truck separately ofc) together would get me very close to what the tractor is supposed to weigh in real life. But is the simulated tractor weight based on some other values additionally? This is very useful information while working on engine simulation so I'm hoping you will find time to answer this one too. And thanks!
Max
SCS Software

#75 Post by Max » 30 Sep 2019 11:26

sum of kerbs is what game sets for physical actor weight (after subtracting cab or wheel weights as those are simulated as separated actor connected by joints). behavior is also affected by simulation of suspension or joints (cabin, wheels, trailers) as those generate other forces besides of mass-based.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
TurboJ

#76 Post by TurboJ » 30 Sep 2019 11:34

Awesome! You are most helpful, @Max! Just what I needed. But since you mention, could you share with me where the data on [cab weight and wheel weight] are located? Didn't seem to find that info myself. I'm looking for how to calculate an accurate total weight for the tractors (for simulation purposes working on my mod).

And thanks again!
Cadde

#77 Post by Cadde » 30 Sep 2019 15:02

Cabin and wheel weights are defined in /def/vehicle/physics.sii

cabin_mass: 				300.0
    wheel_mass: 				100.0
On extended hiatus.
TurboJ

#78 Post by TurboJ » 30 Sep 2019 15:46

@Cadde Thanks for that info!!

Now then, if I'm going to hazard a guess, in the actual simulation you would subtract the wheel mass from each axle weight, and likewise subtract the cabin mass from the front axle weight?

...And the wheel masses look high compared to the cabin mass, do they count as one per axle or how goes the total formula?

I feel like I need to explain why I want to be this accurate. What I'm trying to get to is accurate data about power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratios, for comparative purposes as I build my mod pack. So that's why :)
Cadde

#79 Post by Cadde » 30 Sep 2019 16:30

As Max said, the simulation uses joints. So the wheel mass is the mass of that jointed body. This includes everything attached to the wheel like brake drum, wishbone etc.

And the cabin, truck body and wheels are all separate physical objects tied together by joints.

Tie together stuff with rubber bands and you get a simple representation of what is happening under the covers.
On extended hiatus.
TurboJ

#80 Post by TurboJ » 30 Sep 2019 19:15

OK, so let's see if I got this right this time (thanks guys)

Take the 8x4 truck that I mentioned with...

kerb_weight[0]: 5250       (call this W0)
kerb_weight[1]: 3105       (call this W1)
kerb_weight[2]: 1337.25    (call this W2)
kerb_weight[3]: 2557.75    (call this W3)
Then check the cabin weight and wheel weight which in current game version seem to be...

cabin_mass: 				700.0    (call this X)
wheel_mass: 				85.0     (call this Y)
Total tractor weight in this example should then be (W0-X-Y)+(W1-Y)+(W2-Y)+(W3-Y) ....for a total of 11210 (kilograms)

At least I think I got it right this time...?

Return to “General discussion about the game”