Euro Truck Simulator 2 on Windows 10

jarvik79

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 on Windows 10

#41 Post by jarvik79 » 29 Jul 2015 15:56

Yeah it's free for 12 months. So I plan to wait at least 3-6 months for the crinkles to be ironed out.
But from what I read it seems to be getting mostly positive reviews after the mediocrity of 8, some neat looking features like window-snapping & tiling, so it looks like we might be on the "good" part again of the "good-bad-good-bad" cycle ;)
thebigbadonion

#42 Post by thebigbadonion » 29 Jul 2015 15:59

it does seem good so far, I've only been using it a few hours but certainly not noticed anything thats a big deal yet. I'm actually really liking quite a few features, while i found cortana useless on my phone, being able to just instruct it to open programs or do quick searches without having to touch the mouse is kind of neat. Cortana definitely needs some of the crinkles working out, its not perfect but its something you can definitely see a future in.
thebigbadonion

#43 Post by thebigbadonion » 29 Jul 2015 17:54

Ok a little warning

The method I used for the upgrade worked fine on my windows 8.1 machine (which is my main gaming machine) The key for 8.1 was bought straight from the MS store. All went well and it activated fine.

But I decided to install 10 on an older Windows 7 machine which I bought second hand a few years ago. I mostly use it for work and stuff, very quickly growing to like 10, I decided to put it on that too. (Using the installer off the MS site I linked to above) It did install fine, but the OS wouldn't activate, kept telling me to try again later. On closer inspection it seemed the key was a generic one. Probably something used during manufacture or repair. I don't know if you can activate with a 7 key (off the sticker on the side of the case, if its OEM) but I decided to just jump back to 7 for now. I'll try again when it actually tells me too. It didn't work too great on that computer anyway. Don't be fooled in to thinking its going to work better on older hardware, because in this case it didn't (older core 2 duo, 4gb intel graphics) If anything it may have even ran a little worse than it did under 7. While my main pc seems to be faster now.

Also I would say this proves pirated copies of windows are certainly not going to work, and will fail the activation so don't even try :lol: (I don't believe this is but you never know when you buy a used computer)

But either way, your probably better off waiting until it tells you to upgrade if you have a OEM copy:
CTclothbagco

#44 Post by CTclothbagco » 30 Jul 2015 14:12

jarvik79 wrote: You've completely misread it. You have to pay for new copies on new devices. Other devices that you've already converted to Win10 stay free, even if you need to do a bare metal "reinstall", just like today.
Until you swap or upgrade some of your PC components then Windows will throw a hissy fit and tell you to buy a new key.
SabR

#45 Post by SabR » 30 Jul 2015 14:34

^^ that sounds right for an OEM machine. For a retail product I don't see any hassle in re-entering the key or if the case may be, requesting the support guys for a workaround with valid reasons for the upgrade of MoBo, HDDs/SSDs and other parts that would require one to reinstall OS.

I can vouch for thebbo's refrain from upgrading an old machine post. Did an upgrade to the less used ancient laptop (dual core, 1.5GB RAM, integrated chip) and........... :mrgreen: To be fair it works, consumes almost 700MB of RAM. Of the few apps I've on this dinosaur, they all work nicely except my Bitdefender Antivirus & Comodo Firewall. thebbo, are your internet security apps working fine?
CTclothbagco

#46 Post by CTclothbagco » 30 Jul 2015 14:54

The things that I hate and put me off Windows 10 are this stupid dependence on using "apps" and how they keep ruining the start bar.
SabR

#47 Post by SabR » 30 Jul 2015 15:17

^^ yeah! I'd like to disable that too. Hopefully in SP1.
thebigbadonion

#48 Post by thebigbadonion » 30 Jul 2015 15:31

You don't need to have the apps on the start menu, you can remove them entirely. It's actually very customisable, I jsut have shortcuts on it. Whether they're running in the bg or not is another matter entirely though, but they don't seem to be.

As for installing on a OEM machine. I did use an installer on microsofts website, rather than waiting for the computer to decide to upgrade when its its turn (as I did with my main pc) A few hours after restoring it back to 7, the get windows app came up to install 10, which I decided to try again, this time its activated as it should do. So I'm not sure what went wrong that time, must be something different in the way it upgrades.

The thing with OEM machines, is during manufacturing they're all loaded with the same image, obviously they all have the same key, and are pre-activated. These often fail may of microsofts checks when you try to use them for various things. While I seriously doubt this had windows 7 on it when it was new (more likely vista) A lot of places that repair/refurbish them also use the same technique (this is a refurb) The sticker on the side of the case is generally different to what's activated on the hdd. But you won't be able to reactivate using that same key. I wasn't sure if a 7 key could activate 10, but the key on the case is genuine, out of curiosity I used the check on MS's website.

From what I've been reading you get a new key during the upgrade process, and a key thats unused (such as that on a OEM sticker) can't be converted i nto a 10 key. I alsoI didn't want to risk screwing it up entirely by introducing a key that it wouldn't activate :lol: But for whatever reason it failed what ever checks it likely does using the installer. Yet a retail 8 key didn't. I don't know I've always found microsofts software licensing rather strange :lol:
Last edited by thebigbadonion on 30 Jul 2015 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
87granny

#49 Post by 87granny » 30 Jul 2015 15:39

Well me question is should I update
CTclothbagco

#50 Post by CTclothbagco » 30 Jul 2015 15:44

I know you can delete them, but it's annoying to have them there to start with. There is so much I've come to hate about Windows 10 now.

What was wrong with the Control Panel, everything was accessible from their and easy to find, now it's in a stupid app that's as helpful as a
paper sponge.

Also Windows 3.1 had better looking 3D icons than this, and had more colour. What's with all the retina burning, blinding white everywhere on
all the windows you open.

Return to “General discussion about the game”