Right Tool for the job?

SpottedHyena

Right Tool for the job?

#1 Post by SpottedHyena » 09 Dec 2016 14:45

Alright. I've been getting a lot of overweight loads that I've been avoiding here and there after my 73 ton dumptruck debacle.
So, I've been considering a few possible choices for a "Heavy Haulage" rig. I did a "little" narrowing down, and I've been test driving trucks, both vanilla and modded to see which ones I preferred. I consider myself a "simulation" type guy, so I always look in the interiors and sleepers of these trucks and always try to picture myself actually having to spend a week or more in these trucks in real life. So I want a cross between creature comfort and shear, brute power. Size of the truck isnt an object, nor is fuel consumption, all of the ones in the list seem a reasonable option to me to haul what my XF cringes at. Just want to see what you guys would recommend from the list! To many options to list in a poll. So, gonna do this the hard way.

Scania R Series
Scania T
Volvo 780/670
Volvo FH16 Series
MAN TG
Mercedes Actros
Mercedes Atron
Mack Titan/Superliner
Kenworth W900
Kenworth K200
Peterbilt 389
Western Star 4900/4800
[ external image ]
Ouroboros Bulk Liquid Transportation, Venezia Italia. Volvo FM, 420 HP D13.
CAElite

Re: Right Tool for the job?

#2 Post by CAElite » 09 Dec 2016 16:52

Company I work for irl does some special heavy haulage jobs. Our rig is a 6x4 Merc Aroc, 580bhp plated for 90ton GTW. Its a big monster of a truck, specced with a LWB so we can get a 20ton hiab on it behind the cab (when not in use for heavy jobs it's used as a short rigid flatbed).

Although you will find people don't tramp in heavy haulage trucks irl, it's not normal to be hauling >44ton for more than an overnight journey.
IVECO - It Vibrates and Everything Comes Off. | DAF - Don't Ask for Features.

World of Trucks
SpottedHyena

#3 Post by SpottedHyena » 09 Dec 2016 23:31

Oh it wont be an every day driver. Itl just be if theres a good paying load that will be to heavy for my mainline trucks. Of course, there arent very many "overnight" jobs worth even scrolling over in ETS. So itl be a couple of day road trip.
[ external image ]
Ouroboros Bulk Liquid Transportation, Venezia Italia. Volvo FM, 420 HP D13.
jarvik79

#4 Post by jarvik79 » 10 Dec 2016 00:53

Any cabover with 500+ hp and at least 6xX will do just fine. 6x4 if you expect any kind of rough road work (quarries etc.)
Of course, 8x4 is where the cool kids like to play.... when they're not hauling 9t of oranges with them.

I say cabover because on ETS2 roads, you want the manoeuvrability to offset the likely extra length of a lowbed. Last thing you need with a large load is an extra 10 foot of turning circle from a longnose.
I'm a particular fan of ohaha's FH2013, but I'm quite enamoured with WTD's Actros SLT too.

Return to “General discussion about the game”