Poll: Which area should SCS add to ETS2 after Iberia?

Which area should SCS add to ETS2 next?

Western Balkan (Croatia, Serbia, B+H, Albania, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Greece)
45%
Further East (Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova)
9%
More of Turkey
7%
Expand Scandinavia
19%
More of Russia
5%
Ireland
11%
Iceland
1%
(Parts of) North Africa
2%

Total votes: 811

krmarci

Re: Poll: Which area should SCS add to ETS2 after Iberia?

#1301 Post by krmarci » 25 Aug 2020 10:09

If Greece is not included in the Western Balkans, then I think North Macedonia, Albania, and maybe Montenegro shouldn't be included either. Greece alone would be a bit too small (and I feel excluding them alone would be a bit offensive). The four countries combined could be enough to make a DLC - although the combined area of the entire Western Balkans (including Greece) is just very slightly over that of RttBS.

jackalnxt

#1302 Post by jackalnxt » 25 Aug 2020 12:40

Western Balkans (w/Greece) include a lot more countries though. Some don't even have Street View to help out. And you need individual license plates, advertisements, police vehicles etc. Assets wise, Greece is the only outlier, whereas ex-Yugo is rather similar. Again, I think there is no chance Yugoslavia gets added before Greece.

Best chance is to have Greece with parts of Aegean Turkey. That way, it becomes a great companion DLC for RttBS, it will have a ferry link to Italy. And a decent chunk of the Turkish assets are already made. Guaranteed market.

worldisblack

#1303 Post by worldisblack » 25 Aug 2020 13:23

Well said brother, well said... :)
Adana Logistics TB site: https://trucksbook.eu/company/65722
Adana Logistics TMP site: https://truckersmp.com/vtc/9892

Some newbie driver

#1304 Post by Some newbie driver » 25 Aug 2020 18:46

When Greece will come it will be with the rest of the Balkans. There's no need to chunk that part in smaller pieces (they would be then too small compared with other DLC) and Turkey can come in it's own (it has land and content more than enough to don't need to be combined with Greece at all)

IvanKuz

#1305 Post by IvanKuz » 25 Aug 2020 21:11

@Some newbie driver, again, raw square footage isn't everything. Distorted map projection aside, the smaller size of the Balkan countries could lead to them having to be recreated with a higher road and city density compared to the rest of the map in order to be meaningfully represented, kind of like Corsica. And even if not, Iberia is not really the best example to be compared with. It is an exceptionally large DLC, so much so that I'm pretty sure even back in December Pavel expressed how hard of a task it would be to have it finished before the end of 2020. But Iberia has to be this way because it doesn't really make a lot of sense to split it into parts and leave Portugal out. The Balkan region, on the other hand, lends itself into splitting into Greece and ex-Yugoslavia more naturally, and I think it is entirely reasonable to expect that SCS would want to take a break after Iberia and work on a smaller DLC next.

Some newbie driver

#1306 Post by Some newbie driver » 25 Aug 2020 22:38

I know that raw square footage isn't everything. But everything that SCS add should be fit in that space and that makes it relevant. There's a limit of how dense could things be depicted at the game scale. Some people mentioned that it's hard to include so many different countries info and differences in the same DLC and that consumes lots of time too. And it's true, point is that they had already done that. Baltics had 5 countries, 3 completely different zones in everything and 2 alphabets involved. Not so far away of what it would be that Balkans. And Iberia is being for sure the same headache. Do you think they are just 2 countries? Then you are wrong. For lots of things Spain alone is like 17 countries (15 if they avoid to do both archipelagos). Even if they simplify a lot, only for signaling we have 4 different languages used in 7 different forms in the roads, depending on the geographic zone. If they can handle well Iberia, the only more complicated thing in Balkans will be the up to three different alphabets (if I'm not forgetting any).

And Yes, Iberia will be very big and probably unrepeated for quite time, but the comparison still is valid. If you take out Greece from that Balkans pack, the Balkans region left will be not even a half of what Iberia will be. And that's relevant because is a difference too big. With Greece it will be a bit bigger than previous DLCs not counting Iberia, so it's what people would expect. Iberia could had been spliced in half perfectly and made 2 DLCs of the almost same size of Italy DLC. It would had not been a popular decision but we would had got approx the same content (in roads ans cities) than on previous DLCs. The same that you advocate for add an slice of Turkey to an hypothetic Aegean DLC. Even if it could make sense, I don't think that Turkish players are happy seeing their country being sliced to be used in pieces as a filler of other DLCs. There's no objective reason why Iberia could not be spliced but Turjey could. The European part we have now had all the sense from several points of view; but those reasons doesn't apply to Turkish mainland.

We agree indeed in the possibility that SCS will make an smaller DLC next year to have time for other things instead of having to focus everything on such demanding DLC (I've opined that several times in that same thread and others). But then you take for granted the next year they are going to return to Balkans and that would mean to split them. And its a big mistake to take for granted Balkans for next year. That's just an opinion (and for several people, a desire); but does not grant anything. There's lot of other places where SCS could go next year making smaller DLCs and leave the whole Balkans as a pretty big project for another year.

Regards

jackalnxt

#1307 Post by jackalnxt » 26 Aug 2020 06:53

I see no problem with splitting Turkey into several DLCs. We are already guaranteed to have a split Russia. Fennoscandia is one of the most often requested DLCs and that will also split Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Here is also why we can't compare the Western Balkans to anything we've had previously:
- In the Baltics all the countries have a relatively 'good' wide round shape that makes it easy to implement a good balance of cities and nature. And, of course, Russia is so big they can pick and choose whatever they want.
- Iberia is the same. Even if we take regional identities into effect, places like Catalonia have a fairly wide round shape that lends itself to easy implementation.
- With W. Balkans (not including Greece) we have the problem of country shapes AND, most importantly, no Shengen borders. RttBS didn't have that problem because the shapes of the countries were also favorable, especially the Bulgarian-Romanian border which is mostly bridges anyway that cannot be ignored.

The biggest problem for W. Balkans (not including the previous ones about assets and lack of Street view) is simple too many roads and cities and not enough room.
- Serbia has the most favorable position by default but it has its own limitations. Due to the need of having RttBS style borders, the Szeged and Sofia borders are already creeping into its territory. Szeged is practically at the border and will certainly eat a chunk of Voyvodina and Sofia even has an industry which overlaps with Serbian territory. The border at Vidin also creeps very deep. Only the Iron Gates border in Romania will allow for easy implementation. Add in the border posts with all the other countries, plus the tool booths at the border and the mandatory huge Belgrade and... Let's just say that the people that were unhappy with the amount of villages in RttBS are going to avoid this place like the plague.
- Croatia has the same border problems but with the added bonus of being ultra 'thin' there will hardly be any room to maneuver, outside of near Zagreb. The coastal area offers the best possibilities as they can easily 'borrow' some room from the Adriatic.
- Slovenia is in a slightly more favorable position in terms of border posts, being in the Shengen area, meaning its Austrian border offers a lot of room. But it also has the problem of being very thin and very little room. Plus, if Trieste gets added at some point, the coastline will be nearly impossible to reach.
- Bosnia, in theory should provide the most room but all the internal politics might cause such headaches and could even require internal divides.
- N. Macedonia. Dear old Pernik has already bitten off a chunk of the country and we haven't even considered all the other border posts. If Greece gets added first, that will also eat a chunk of the Southern part of the country. Important cities like Bitolya and Ohrid will either have to be moved northwards or squeezed in. Skopje will eat a big chunk of the north. To get a better idea of what I mean, the distance from one side of the country to the other is roughly the same as in-game Veliko Turnovo - Varna. Not only is it super tight but it also requires distinctive assets. Most other countries in the region use a form of Serbo-Croatian, SCS could use this as a shortcut to ease themselves in the making of signs and advertisements. Not the case here though.
- Kosovo. This is going to be a single city. Literally no room for anything else. Maybe an industrial or a scenic town at best. It will also create some toxic discussion during the build-up to the DLC, though none of it will impact actual sales (remember when everyone said they were going to boycott MW2 because it didn't have dedicated servers?).
- Montenegro. All of the problems above. Very little room. Many borders. Slightly more favorable position than Kosovo that might guarantee at least one extra industrial town.
- Albania. Again, very tight with lots of borders and the need for unique assets. Same as Croatia, favored by the presence of a coastline.

IvanKuz

#1308 Post by IvanKuz » 26 Aug 2020 10:06

@Some newbie driver, it all will depend on how dense things are. Corsica is half the size of Sardinia but has twice as many towns, meanwhile mainland VLF is relatively sparse. Given their sizes, I predict that Iberia will be more similar to the latter in that regard while the Balkan countries will be more similar to the former, to the point where all of Yugoslavia combined could end up having roughly the same, if not a bigger, amount of cities and/or kilometers of roads as Spain. Of course, I could be wrong. But to me it makes sense to have the Balkans more densely packed like Corsica, for all the reasons stated by @jackalnxt above (although I don't agree with their suggestion of packaging Greece together with a part of Turkey). And I'm pretty sure things like roads and towns and various border crossing prefabs and such require more much work than fonts and alphabets for signs.

And of course the Balkans is not guaranteed to be the next DLC after Iberia, I never said that it is, but to me it seems to be the most likely direction to go next, regardless of whether it will include Greece, Yugoslavia or both. What do you think it will be instead? The other likely options in my view are Ireland and Ukraine. But releasing Ireland without the UK rebuild wouldn't be a very good look, and we all know how well the base map rebuilds are coming along. I mean, sure, they could do it anyway, and it would probably sell well regardless, but still. Ukraine would be a good pick to provide groundwork for further expansions to the east. I don't expect Belarus and/or more of Russia to come before western Ukraine for the same reason I don't expect Montana to come before Wyoming - it would leave a bizarre gap in the map. Again, they could do it anyway, but to me it would be a very strange choice. Anything else I find even more unlikely to be the next DLC after Iberia. But who knows.

Some newbie driver

#1309 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Aug 2020 13:44

As I said several pages before, my bet is for Ireland with the rest of UK non-mapped zones; that will require at the same time the UK rework. Completely feasible and non comparable with Germany rebuilt (because that has no priority and no relation with an scheduled DLC release). Ukraine is a hot potato depending on the zones to be mapped (like some zones in the Balkans, that 1 or 2 extra years to settle would be much appreciated by SCS for sure). Anyways, gaps in the map mean nothing at all to SCS despite how many people calls them.

IvanKuz

#1310 Post by IvanKuz » 26 Aug 2020 14:06

I still don't think Ireland is going to be the 2021 DLC, but if it comes alongside the entire UK rework I'd be very happy to be proven wrong. As for Ukraine, as I previously suggested that due to its large size (not to mention the resulting Moldova-shaped hole nearby that would also need to be filled) I image only a portion of the country would be released at first, with the rest either being added later (not unlike France which now has to be expanded for Iberia) or separated into a second DLC altogether. This would, for the time being at least, let SCS avoid the more controversial areas in the eastern side of the country.
Some newbie driver wrote:
26 Aug 2020 13:44
Anyways, gaps in the map mean nothing at all to SCS despite how many people calls them.
Seeing in what shape Idaho was released you have a good point here :lol:

Return to “General discussion about the game”